IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Sunkha vs Queen Palm

TexasColdHardyPalms

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

Yep, 10 feet apart.

Have either burned from the cold for you? Which ome burned first/worst?

I have a small sunkha and a 3 meters high queen here in European 8b climate, last year they went through - 7°c under frost cloth without damage. 

• Upvote 2

This is the second winter for them so far, neither have had any damage. The queen was a Home Depot bargain bin $2.97 in a 1 gallon pot about 18 inches tall. The sunkha was a 15 gallon a friend brought me from Cal. About 3 ft tall. The queen is now over 20 ft tall, the sunkha is not much bigger than it was when I got it, but has put out quite a few fronds.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully they come through fine, but if they burn a little we may know which one is more cold tolerant.  Queens that size completely defoliate around 22ish in Texas and outright die at 20.

BTW I think I've said this before, but nice citrus!

I'm hoping. I also have a bunch of seedlings going from Tom McClendon's Uruguay queen & a bunch from the fruiting queen downtown.

• Upvote 1

I know lytocaryum Wed. will die around 24-25 as most did last year in a cold frame.  Hoehnei are a few degrees hardier for sure.

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

I'm hoping. I also have a bunch of seedlings going from Tom McClendon's Uruguay queen & a bunch from the fruiting queen downtown.

Todd will be great if you say bit more about this Uruguay queens? 

Never heard of it :)

On 12/31/2017, 3:03:20, Laaz said:

Low 20's for the next week. Should be fun... I put the 500W work lights near them when it's below 25.

What temps kill a Queen palm?

After experience with both under temperatures in the low 20's I give P. Sunkha a slight edge but would imagine there is some variability with Sunkha as there is with Queens depending on seed origin. I would assume a Queen found in cold regions in southern South America and at significant altitude would most likely be somewhat hardier than a Sunkha.

• Upvote 1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

19-20 usually does it.

All the forecasts for Charleston even downtown stations show a forecast low of 19F with a high today not getting above freezing. I assume very bad for citrus, palms, etc.

Charleston should get a few inches of snow/ice as well, really not good for citrus or palms. Worst thing is to have ice/rain on a palm with high winds and then sky's that clear as there is an evaporative cooling effect that significantly reduces the temperature of the plant tissue.

Not looking good here, heavy ice right now turning to snow later on. Everything is closed down as we don't have plows or salt the roads...

23w8q3c.jpg2ak07td.jpg2ufxgeg.jpg

The freezing rain looks terrible for your beautiful palms and then snow on top, that is just cruel. 

I hope the temperatures improve quickly for you. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Laaz said:

And now, heavy snow.

2jg3wbs.jpghuruj9.jpgfc314w.jpg

I sure hope you don't lose any of those beautiful citrus trees you have in your yard.

• Upvote 1

Already have about 4" on the ground & it's heavy. On top of ice as well. Mules, queens & sunkha are taking a beating.

34y4kfa.jpgdmqk20.jpgnof2xd.jpg

Todd feel sorry for your beautiful garden but actually is opportunity to see which plant is enough hardy for your location :)

I think if this last more than two days will finished this sunkha! 

The morning after... Frozen tundra, it will be interesting to see what survives.

Med fan palm on the left, queen, washy's & mules.

2qu4tuw.jpg

14lrqkg.jpg

2dvk4qr.jpg

• Upvote 2

We got a dusting but it is heavy snow. Whats really depressing for us is we just had another day added to our already 2 near record setting days. So today through saturday now will be brutally cold... Its a nightmare I wish I would wake up from...

Buddy in Charleston said he got 5in!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Sunshine will help melt everything but the three remaining cold mornings will make it much worse if you have clear skies and any moisture on those palms.  That's when the real damage happens.