IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calyptrocalyx, anyone? In California?

DoomsDave

As part of my mindful New Year's Palm Resolution (thanks @Kim!) I'm considering experimenting.

There's a lot of species, maybe some will make it here, especially the ones from highland New Guinea?

CalCau.jpg

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Calelg0003.jpg

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have the same question Dave, because i have a couple of Calyptocralyx hollrungii growing slowly in my greenhouse.

I have a dream and is to see these beautys growing in my garden. But i think is only a dream...

• Upvote 1

I would never discourage anyone from going for their dream. I allow myself 3 tries at any palm before I give up on it. I will say that Calyptrocalyx have been tricky for me long term. Despite my mostly humid, tropical climate I’be lost more species than I’ve kept alive. Because of my alkaline sandy soil I keep them in pots, which gives me the benefit of moving them indoors in very cold weather.

Your biggest challenge, aside from cool/chilly nights and cold, wet winters, is your unbelievably low and life-sucking (lack of) humidity. These are high humidity darlings whatever altitude they come from. How you can work around that outside of a climate-controlled greenhouse, I don’t know but isn’t SoCal where dreams come true?

All that said, Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus & pachystachys have done well overall for me in pots and are easy to move. Both have lovely red new leaves.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I would never discourage anyone from going for their dream. I allow myself 3 tries at any palm before I give up on it. I will say that Calyptrocalyx have been tricky for me long term. Despite my mostly humid, tropical climate I’be lost more species than I’ve kept alive. Because of my alkaline sandy soil I keep them in pots, which gives me the benefit of moving them indoors in very cold weather.

Your biggest challenge, aside from cool/chilly nights and cold, wet winters, is your unbelievably low and life-sucking (lack of) humidity. These are high humidity darlings whatever altitude they come from. How you can work around that outside of a climate-controlled greenhouse, I don’t know but isn’t SoCal where dreams come true?

All that said, Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus & pachystachys have done well overall for me in pots and are easy to move. Both have lovely red new leaves.

Dreams come true, and screams come anew . . . .

I have a humid microclimate in which I've managed to keep touchy things like Dypsis crinita reasonably happy, so maybe I have a fighting chance.

Thanks for your input!

• 1 month later...

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Getting an order ready with a certain palm seller . . . .

Panting heavily.

• Upvote 2

• Upvote 1

I have grown quite a few and have some small ones greenhoused in SF. I agree with Meg that episodic cold and dry winds will zero these things out during their first full season outside. That said, several are eminently suitable for greenhouse culture and are worth making minor sacrifices for in spite of not being suitable plants for outdoors in California, except for spells, e.g. C. micholitzii.

On 2/18/2018, 8:16:14, DoomsDave said:

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Getting an order ready with a certain palm seller . . . .

Panting heavily.

So did ya add some on? I got a big order from "a certain palm seller" last Friday! Christmas in February!! :yay:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

2 minutes ago, Missi said:

So did ya add some on? I got a big order from "a certain palm seller" last Friday! Christmas in February!! :yay:

I'm waiting to hear from other Palm Talkers, and I have a feeling the silence will be deafening.

Looks like I'm about to be a pioneer. That might be cool, and, possibly, expensive. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I'm waiting to hear from other Palm Talkers, and I have a feeling the silence will be deafening.

Looks like I'm about to be a pioneer. That might be cool, and, possibly, expensive. :unsure:

You are not the only one! 

Yes, Spain is not California but similar climate.

These are the death trio and they will go to the ground next April.

I know, they will be death next January, lol.

Calyptocralix hollrungii, Geonoma atrovirens and Joey altifrons.

IMG_20180220_175612.thumb.jpg.d83905e58b

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 3

Dunno about the Joey, but you're right on the other two. Understory geonomas and calyptros have no tolerance for drying breezes and spells of low humidity. So maybe just a dead "pair".

• Upvote 2

Oh, dear. So @stone jaguar , you're saying that Geonomas are like Calyptrocalyx?

The understory, single stem ones are most certainly. When was the last time you saw a G epetiolata, hugonis, divisa, stricta, atrovirens, et al. thriving as an outdoors garden plant in SoCal? It might be able to be done in a nook of a very, very, very sheltered environment that is rigorously shielded from cool temps, wind, etc. and has superb water quality. Even most of the understory chamaedoreas are very unsuitable for outdoors cultivation unless pampered and in the hands of a skilled grower. This is why in photos most all of Whitelock's rare chams look like they were halfway through the Bataan Death March.

Obviously, there are a couple woody, emergent, pinnate-leaf geonomas that can handle parts of the Bay Area and probably parts of Santa Barbara.

• Upvote 2

I just got a Geonoma atrovirens and I'm terrified of it! It looks so fragile! I try not to even look at it wrong. :blink: I guess because I've been so severely warmed about G. epetiolata.

24 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

The understory, single stem ones are most certainly. When was the last time you saw a G epetiolata, hugonis, divisa, stricta, atrovirens, et al. thriving as an outdoors garden plant in SoCal? It might be able to be done in a nook of a very, very, very sheltered environment that is rigorously shielded from cool temps, wind, etc. and has superb water quality. Even most of the understory chamaedoreas are very unsuitable for outdoors cultivation unless pampered and in the hands of a skilled grower. This is why in photos most all of Whitelock's rare chams look like they were halfway through the Bataan Death March.

Obviously, there are a couple woody, emergent, pinnate-leaf geonomas that can handle parts of the Bay Area and probably parts of Santa Barbara.

Hmm.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone know of any woody, emergent pinnate-leaved Calyptrocalyx?

I am a little bit crazy, i know, but i love to see palms growing in the ground. The pots are like a prision.

And if they will be dead next Winter, unless will be free:D:D:D.

I have a sheltered spot. Shadow, no wind, no frost and i have rain water.

In this spot i have a very big Spatyfillum growing near perfection since 2014. This is my best bet.

Edited by Monòver

Monover:

How spathiphyllums acclimated will have no - repeat, no - relation to how these palms will grow. For all intents and purposes, spaths are lettuce. If you insist on torturing the understory spp. that we have been discussing, they will indeed be dead by next winter.  But they're your plants, so please be my guest and "bombs away".

Missi:

G atrovirens in quite easy compared to epetiolata and hugonis, since it is a true lowland tropical rainforest palm. Your generally high humidity and warm/hot temps are a huge plus in terms of growing it. Cloud forest and intermediate elevation geos quite another kettle of fish.

• Upvote 2

Thanks @stone jaguar for your comments. I'll get some Ptychospermas, Pinangas or Dypsis instead.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Our dreams are broken

To be replaced by better ones!

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Missi:

G atrovirens in quite easy compared to epetiolata and hugonis, since it is a true lowland tropical rainforest palm. Your generally high humidity and warm/hot temps are a huge plus in terms of growing it. Cloud forest and intermediate elevation geos quite another kettle of fish.

I am relieved!! ^_^

• 6 months later...

Don't give up yet Dave my calyptrcalyx polyphylus has been in the ground for 5 yrs it keeps trying to flower its in sheltered courtyard with no wind and plenty of bright light no direct sun and fast draining soil. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

Also calyptrocalyx sp. sanumb in same area performing well for 2 plus years fingers crossed this also gets a nice red leaf.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, akamu said:

Don't give up yet Dave my calyptrcalyx polyphylus has been in the ground for 5 yrs it keeps trying to flower its in sheltered courtyard with no wind and plenty of bright light no direct sun and fast draining soil. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 years! That’s a winner. Is the secret watering it with Shasta tiki punch from the 60s? 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

And one more sp. kal kayek I got from jungle music  I have found not much info on this species and it does not have the new red leaf wow factor but it has been alive in San Diego for around ten years and at my house in ground for 3+ years . I really wish we could grow more of this genus here I will keep trying more. I have been pleasantly surprised by many palms that people say no to a and I have killed many more Cheers 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by akamu
Picture taking problem
  • Upvote 1

yowza

3 hours ago, akamu said:

Your good Steve yep 50 year old Shasta tiki is the unlocked secret,to this genus in CA :floor:

Where did you get/find that? The soda can. Sorry I’m a sucker for flat tops. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25