IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bad news for Brownsville

LF-TX

Yes, i would imagine Houston and the TX gulf coast havent seen temps this low in a while. They’ve got bougainvillea, citrus and rubber trees growing in Houston like south FL. 

4 minutes ago, ntxpalms said:

Yes, i would imagine Houston and the TX gulf coast havent seen temps this low in a while. They’ve got bougainvillea, citrus and rubber trees growing in Houston like south FL. 

Luckily the citrus here in Cameron County has been doing pretty well as of right now. Not showing signs of distress like it did with the last cold.

5 minutes ago, ntxpalms said:

Can you grow coconuts?

Between freak cold events like the infamous ones of the 20th century (and with plenty of watering) yes! There are quite a few of them especially in Brownsville that are of good height and fruit-bearing. The great majority of the year down here is prime for their growth, with winter being the main obstacle. This year has been an especially wierd one because the RGV has been experiencing cold events a little more frequently and & of greater intensity than usual. The snow day of Dec 8th last year is a good testimony to this (which the cocos handled REALLY well to my surprise). So our cocos are, as we speak, are being pushed to their limits and pretty soon we’ll see which one’s are able to pass the test. The ones around in my area have been showing moderate browning from the most recent cold earlier this month and the current cold is readily going to add to their suffering, so we have our fingers crossed that they will pull through. But other than that, when they’re in our usual horrendous humidity and warm temps, they do quite well! I actually have two sprouts with me indoors to keep them from the cold. Deep S. Texas is probably the only area after South/Central Flordia where coconuts can reach fruiting maturity. 

That is awesome. I figured Brownsville was the one place in TX where cocos nucifera might make it. One day I want to visit the Sabal Palm Sanctuary down there. 

• Upvote 2