IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2018 Florida Freeze

Alan_Tampa

1 hour ago, Opal92 said:

Wow, do you think those are post 2014?

I'm not sure.  On Google Maps street view, dated as May 2011, the lot is undeveloped with a pile of sand dumped on a site, possibly getting ready to to build it out.

1.JPG

• Upvote 1

We had a low of 33 last week, far below the forecast.  Fortunately no sign of frost, which messed up some of the bromeliads a year ago.  Palms look OK.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

34 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

We had a low of 33 last week, far below the forecast.  Fortunately no sign of frost, which messed up some of the bromeliads a year ago.  Palms look OK.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. What was your low back in January? 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

55 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

19 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. What was your low back in January? 

I am too.  At the house, the lowest I recorded was 42F.  In addition, if that was on Friday, that would count as a record low!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 3/15/2018, 4:19:13, Opal92 said:

Also, interestingly, there is a queen palm in front of "The Track" in Destin that is 100% defoliated and maybe dead- interesting since that same tree survived January/February 2015 when the max lows were very similar to this year.

Here is “The Track” Queen in question. Not the best pic, i know. But the best i was able to take while driving, lol. 

There’s plenty of green left closer to the trunk. So, I think it’s safe to say, “The Queen is alive” :D

B8299780-5457-4F23-A0FC-3BE602687F4A.jpeg

Edited by Estlander

10 hours ago, Estlander said:

Here is “The Track” Queen in question. Not the best pic, i know. But the best i was able to take while driving, lol. 

There’s plenty of green left closer to the trunk. So, I think it’s safe to say, “The Queen is alive” :D

There used to be like 8 of them planted in a row down that whole area. I think some were removed for other reasons (unfortunately). It took about 2 years for them to completely recover from the January 2015 freeze. In the last few months I though there were 2 left, although this may be the last one (maybe the other one was removed for that construction).

Even if it survives, it's going to be a very slow recovery.

On 3/16/2018, 11:26:21, kinzyjr said:

That's pretty incredible seeing that you are about 2.5 to 3 hours southwest of me. 

I'm East of I-75, out in Golden Gate Estates. We get downright chilly out there. :rant::wacko:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 3/15/2018, 4:19:13, Opal92 said:

There used to be like 8 of them planted in a row down that whole area. I think some were removed for other reasons (unfortunately). It took about 2 years for them to completely recover from the January 2015 freeze. In the last few months I though there were 2 left, although this may be the last one (maybe the other one was removed for that construction).

Even if it survives, it's going to be a very slow recovery.

40 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Yes, there were two until very recently. Must have been in the way of the construction. 

On 3/20/2018, 11:12:47, Missi said:

I'm East of I-75, out in Golden Gate Estates. We get downright chilly out there. :rant::wacko:

I noticed on Wunderground last night the coast was in the low 60s while just a couple miles inland, still west of 75, there were sites in the upper 40s. Could have been a fluke but I as a little surprised to see that much of a difference.

5 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I noticed on Wunderground last night the coast was in the low 60s while just a couple miles inland, still west of 75, there were sites in the upper 40s. Could have been a fluke but I as a little surprised to see that much of a difference.

Not uncommon. The Gulf exerts a strong moderating effect on coastal temps vs. inland areas. In summer the coast stays relatively cooler.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

45 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Not uncommon. The Gulf exerts a strong moderating effect on coastal temps vs. inland areas. In summer the coast stays relatively cooler.

Yep, I was just surprised it didn't push a little further inland than that. I've passed through on 75 plenty of times and it still looks tropical there but Wunderground showed it was significantly colder.

On 3/24/2018, 1:27:14, RedRabbit said:

That much of a difference IS odd, especially for still being west of 75. 

Well, FINALLY, no more of these chilly, frosty March nights. All mid to high 70's in the 10 day forecast with nothing lower than mid 50's.

I am ready and excited for this growing season.

• Upvote 3

On 3/27/2018, 6:46:09, Opal92 said:

Well, FINALLY, no more of these chilly, frosty March nights. All mid to high 70's in the 10 day forecast with nothing lower than mid 50's.

I am ready and excited for this growing season.

Amen!  I think we finally put this one to bed for the year.  Now, a long growing/recovering season.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Pecan trees are budding out so winter is over.  Last freeze was mid February; another top 5 earliest freeze year ever recorded here.   

48 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Pecan trees are budding out so winter is over.  Last freeze was mid February; another top 5 earliest freeze year ever recorded here.   

You mean top 5 earliest LAST freeze? Interesting, so you missed out on those March freezes (albeit light) that got us along the northern gulf coast?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Opal92 said:

You mean top 5 earliest LAST freeze? Interesting, so you missed out on those March freezes (albeit light) that got us along the northern gulf coast?

Last freeze in Houston was Jan 18, last sub 40 temp was Feb 12 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Opal92 Correct, my mistake.   @Xenon Feb 12th was last freeze here. Last sub 40 was Feb 22nd. 

Interesting... you would think that the cold/freezing temps that came here moved through your area first (especially considering you are at a higher latitude), but I guess it's not that simple.

I can also remember other times you guys were walloped with a hard freeze while we barely got to freezing. We had no freeze at all in our neck of the woods in February with mostly high 70's the entire month. It was the warmest February I've ever experienced here- many times February is almost as cold as January. Everyone got spring fever in mid or even early February- at the garden center where I work, people were buying tender annuals, vegetables, and tropicals at that time- they should be thanking their lucky stars we didn't have a regular hard February freeze. The March freezes (which were light) were only felt in areas away from the immediate coast, and even then, it wasn't enough to really damage much anything other than some new leaves that were emerging from a few plants/trees/shrubs. It could have been a much worse situation, especially considering that our area has seen 20's in March in the past.

9 hours ago, Xenon said:

Last freeze in Houston was Jan 18, last sub 40 temp was Feb 12 

Edited by Opal92

4 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Interesting... you would think that the cold/freezing temps that came here moved through your area first (especially considering you are at a higher latitude), but I guess it's not that simple.

I can also remember other times you guys were walloped with a hard freeze while we barely got to freezing. We had no freeze at all in our neck of the woods in February with mostly high 70's the entire month. It was the warmest February I've ever experienced here- many times February is almost as cold as January. Everyone got spring fever in mid or even early February- at the garden center where I work, people were buying tender annuals, vegetables, and tropicals at that time- they should be thanking their lucky stars we didn't have a regular hard February freeze. The March freezes (which were light) were only felt in areas away from the immediate coast, and even then, it wasn't enough to really damage much anything other than some new leaves that were emerging from a few plants/trees/shrubs. It could have been a much worse situation, especially considering that our area has seen 20's in March in the past.

Interesting indeed.  In my experience it seems that in more central parts of the continent like Texas or the midwest, the intense cold is more concentrated around late December to January.  Whereas the further east you go, the chance of late winter weather (that misses the central US) remains higher for longer.   I suppose it is related to the possibility of Noreasters/ Alberta clippers tending to track further put out east? 

Well I jinxed it.  That cold front that came through yesterday was quite strong. We dropped to 35 yesterday about 10am and it stayed below 45 all day long.  The winds shifted back from the SE and moderated the temperature last night.  Good news is it didn't freeze as I have a lot of encephalartos outside with new flushes and that would have wrecked them.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Well I jinxed it.  That cold front that came through yesterday was quite strong. We dropped to 35 yesterday about 10am and it stayed below 45 all day long.  The winds shifted back from the SE and moderated the temperature last night.  Good news is it didn't freeze as I have a lot of encephalartos outside with new flushes and that would have wrecked them.

You ducked a haymaker there, Tex. :)

Lakeland, FL

Not a HUGE deal, but noteworthy. Next week I'm supposed to be getting a couple lows in the mid-50s. :hmm:

Well thankfully no frost, but still some chilly-mornings. 47 deg at about 6am today, and then up to 82 deg according to my weather station- you would think this is Arizona or California with such big daytime/nighttime temperature swings (thanks to the air being very dry). Thankfully we are getting a big rain this weekend, otherwise this would not be as bearable- things are still drying up very fast in the sun and heat.

Wow just wow- about 7 degrees colder than forecast. Thank goodness I brought in my orchids.

5ad48f5423356_Screenshot(41).thumb.png.f

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Wow just wow- about 7 degrees colder than forecast. Thank goodness I brought in my orchids.

Ouch... pretty late in the year for that!  Down here, we might scrape the high 40s in some spots, but overall, not much chance of damaging anything.  I'm sure we'll all be glad to put this whole winter behind us.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Some downtown Tampa/West Shore coconuts, royals and that dichtosperma?...

20180430_123926e.jpg

20180430_124114e.jpg

20180430_124122e.jpg

20180430_124149e.jpg

20180430_130731e.jpg

20180430_130749e.jpg

20180430_130803e.jpg

p20180430_130842.jpg

p20180430_131135.jpg

• Upvote 2

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Most of that stuff looks like it will recover.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...

Land O Lakes Coconut Palm (S.R 54 just pas US 41) Looks rough but It looks like it could survive.... This one definitely took a hard hit

20180514_130707e.jpg

• Upvote 2

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

@Chatta There were two much younger cocos in Lakeland that had roughly the same damage.  They gave up the ghost recently.  If anything saves that one, age it will be. :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

4 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Chatta There were two much younger cocos in Lakeland that had roughly the same damage.  They gave up the ghost recently.  If anything saves that one, age it will be. :)

Thats sad :(. It amazed me that it was still there, It looks really bad, I hope it survives, it was a very beautiful palm before that and shocked me to see it this far north (and inland). I will definitely be trying to grab nuts from it if it survives lol

On 4/30/2018, 2:06:51, Chatta said:

Some downtown Tampa/West Shore coconuts, royals and that dichtosperma?...

I drive past that place in downtown ever day. You're right, there are two dichtospermas and 4 coconuts there. 

I was driving on S Westshore yesterday and the coconuts by Green Iguana look pretty rough along with the rest of them. It is really something how bad Tampa got it relative to St. Pete and places further south. Even the warmest places in Tampa fared poorly, inland parts of St. Pete did much better by comparison.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

I drive past that place in downtown ever day. You're right, there are two dichtospermas and 4 coconuts there. 

I was driving on S Westshore yesterday and the coconuts by Green Iguana look pretty rough along with the rest of them. It is really something how bad Tampa got it relative to St. Pete and places further south. Even the warmest places in Tampa fared poorly, inland parts of St. Pete did much better by comparison.  

I saw those same coconuts down there at the Green Iguana and meant to take pictures. Ironically, next to the old Green Iguana on Anderson theres a coconut palm planted near the movie theater! Not sure when it was planted but if it was there from the cold, it did really well. Theres also a coconut in my girlfriends neighborhood in Southern Keystone right at Citrus Park that did really well... I'll try to grab pictures. I maybe switching jobs and might be working in Ybor/Downtown area soon :P

Sunday I found some really big spindle palms (I think... as you know Red, i'm bad with IDing..) and also some very large what appeared to be Teddy Bear Dypsis? Could have been redneck... Anyway check it out from streetview. This is in Gulfport off 22nd Ave South, I'm gonna go grab pictures in person tomorrow I think.

bottle palms.jpg

rednecks.jpg

45 minutes ago, Chatta said:

I saw those same coconuts down there at the Green Iguana and meant to take pictures. Ironically, next to the old Green Iguana on Anderson theres a coconut palm planted near the movie theater! Not sure when it was planted but if it was there from the cold, it did really well. Theres also a coconut in my girlfriends neighborhood in Southern Keystone right at Citrus Park that did really well... I'll try to grab pictures. I maybe switching jobs and might be working in Ybor/Downtown area soon :P

Sunday I found some really big spindle palms (I think... as you know Red, i'm bad with IDing..) and also some very large what appeared to be Teddy Bear Dypsis? Could have been redneck... Anyway check it out from streetview. This is in Gulfport off 22nd Ave South, I'm gonna go grab pictures in person tomorrow I think.

bottle palms.jpg

rednecks.jpg

If memory serves me correct, the Coconut located at the old Green Iguana off Anderson was there back in 2010. Used to frequent the place Wed-Fri when i lived in Largo. Most of the palms on the property did well through the 09-10 event as well. Foxtails and the Pandanus located around back by the patio took the biggest hit, but had pretty much snapped out of any damage by later that summer (2010). I remember id talked to the owner a couple times after the landscape crew that takes care of the place came through and butchered some stuff right after the freeze that year. 

On an off track side note, ..and thanks in part to my crazy ex girlfriend at the time, i'm sure if really searched the edge of the lake beside the parking lot, i might still be able to find a message board id had in my kitchen.. Fun times, i'll tell ya.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Now that several months have passed, I have a clearer idea of how my palms were damaged by the big January 2018 freeze (two freezes, separated by only a week and a half).  This was the worst freeze since 2010 in my region. 

Obviously, all of my cold-hardy Palms had no damage, including queen palms. However, I had four types of crownshaft Palms too: Roystonea Regia, pseudophoenix sargentii, kentiopsis oliviformis and archontoiphoenix cunninghamiana.  None of these are appropriate for my zone 9a climate (almost 9b), but they were an experiment. 

The archontoiphoenix cunninghamiana are now all dead.  They had a good run for several years, but January 2018 did them all in.

The kentiopsis oliviformis may have suffered significant cold damage, but have now both come back again.  They still don't look perfect, but they are growing out big healthy leaves now. None died.

Roystonea Regis:  I had four or five juvenile Palms of this species and none survived.  I understand that this palm grows more cold-hardy with age, but that may just be palm gossip.

Pseudophoenix sargentii --I had four of these (fairly juvenile) and all died except for one.  It is not exactly back to normal either.  It has grown out a half leaf, but barely. The leaf looks stalled and I am not sure whether this palm will ever fully recover.

A few surprises in the non-palm world:

-hibiscus rosa-sinensis:  killed to the ground

- cordyline australis "red star" and "red Sensation": no damage at all

-Copper leaf:  killed to the ground and does not seem to be coming back.  I am surprised because these apparently do find in winter in nearby Jacksonville.  I had just planted this a week before the big freeze hit.

- Brazilian red cloak:  I had also purchased this tree just a week before the big freeze, sroots were not established and it was accustomed to living in much hotter South Florida.  The freeze killed it completely and it has not ccome back.

-Aloe hurcules:  killed

- bromeliads: have mostly come back to normal now, but were severely damaged in January.  Only the matchstick bromeliads suffered no cold damage at all.

-clusias:  dead

I could continue with a longer freeze report, but I will stop there.

• Upvote 2

Continued:  winners from the big freeze up here (forty-five minutes south of the Georgia state line):

- Aloe striatula:  zero damage even though it was in a pot right out in the open.  I am still waiting for this one to bloom as it turns into a tree with multiple branches now.

- Butia x parajubaea

- anything livistona

- anything phoenix

- queen palms

- Mule palms

- washingtonia

- clivia

- agapanthus

- yuccas

- agaves

- crinum queen emma

- philodenron selloum

- All bamboo (Bambusa and ptychostachys)

- Arenga Engleri (two of them in very different locations) suffered no damage, but Arenga Micrantha was quite damaged.  It has since grown back a new leaf and will recover, but is not nearly as cold-hardy as its cousin. Things like pandanus did not grow back from the roots, but plants like Pony Tail Palms are now growing new shoots at random spots on their trunks even though they were deposited on top.  I guess they will recover; my pony tail Palms have been there since about 2011 and despite occasional burn on the leaves, always did fine in prior years.

Several things have also grown back from the roots, but were certainly not cold hardy, including:

- cordyline fruticosa

- pentas

- Persian shield

- alternantha came back, but iresine did not, at least not "blazin' rose"

- alocasia Odora and the hybrids from it

- purple Queens (tradenscantia pallida)

- Calathea rattlesnake
- Dracaena marginata

- Seagrape tree

- Schleffera actynophilla

- variegated ginger

...... And more....

• Upvote 2

Re:  Roystonea Regis:  I had four or five juvenile Palms of this species and none survived.  I understand that this palm grows more cold-hardy with age, but that may just be palm gossip.

I don't know what your ultimate low temperature was or how many hours of below freezing you had, but my trunked Roystonea regia that I have in my open property survived 20.8 degrees in 2010. I've read here on Palmtalk years ago of large trunked royals surviving down to 18 degrees. I've lost juvenile to very large almost trunking royals to freeze. No doubt a large trunked royal can take more cold. 

Re:  plants like Pony Tail Palms are now growing new shoots at random spots on their trunks even though they were deposited on top

In January of 2001 I had a single trunked ponytail palm that got frozen to where what was left at the base was mushy, but it came back, growing five trunks. Over the years new branches have grown off of these trunks.

Mad about palms

Interesting.

I now have a fakahatchee Royal palm (still in pot), so it will hopefully prove more cold hardy.  My coldest temperature on the coldest night of the freeze was 24.3 F in one part of my yard and 23.4 in a different part of my yard.

That's also good to know about ponytail Palms.  I did not experience any trunk "mush" , thank goodness. 

Other Palms which had no damage in the big January freeze here are:  Rapids Excelsa, chamaedorea Microspadix, chamaedorea radicalis (both types), bismarckia nobilis, without any protection.  I am sure there are others which have not come to mind right now.  Many of my succulents and cacti were unharmed too, although some were completely killed after several years of thriving.

Edited by Sandy Loam
My phone's overzealous autocorrect