Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Parajubaea torallyi v. torallyi seeds wanted! (Bolivian Mountain Coconut)

13 posts in this topic

Hi palm growers,

I'm looking for some Parajubaea torallyi v. torallyi (Bolivian Mountain Coconut) seed. If anybody has any i would love to buy some. I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks!

AG

57 minutes ago, Aussiegrower said:

Hi palm growers,

I'm looking for some Parajubaea torallyi v. torallyi (Bolivian Mountain Coconut) seed. If anybody has any i would love to buy some. I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks!

AG

Here some fresh off ebay. Not mine, but it's in California. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/5-parajubaea-torallyi-seeds-rare-palm-tree/152842596143?hash=item239620ef2f:g:ZCgAAOSwA~VaM~s2

xvang01, do you know whether the listing is torallyi torallyi or torallyi microcarpa? Here's a size reference of the seeds:s-l500.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture due to the seeds are still fresh with its fruit. Best is to contact the seller directly.

xvang is correct, the only way to differentiate is to look at the endocarp with the fruit removed.

I saw those on eBay, and I was wondering if they are ripe given they are still green?  Are they supposed to be?

Posted (edited)

I contacted him, and he says he doesn't now the variety. I asked him to take a picture of the seed, but he said he's having a hard time cleaning off the outer flesh. Maybe they aren't ripe (enough) as Ben said?

Edited by Aussiegrower
spelling error

20 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I saw those on eBay, and I was wondering if they are ripe given they are still green?  Are they supposed to be?

Apparently they dropped in that state.

It looks like a microcarpa to me:

s-l500.jpg

On 12/29/2017, 5:06:37, xvang01 said:

It's hard to tell from the picture due to the seeds are still fresh with its fruit. Best is to contact the seller directly.

On 12/30/2017, 1:57:57, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

xvang is correct, the only way to differentiate is to look at the endocarp with the fruit removed.

I uploaded a picture of the seeds, though it's not entirely clean. What do you think?

3 hours ago, Aussiegrower said:

Apparently they dropped in that state.

Which means?  I have plenty of green queen palm seeds drop well before they are ready, due to wind.

I honestly don't know if Parajubaea seeds are supposed to change color as they ripen...are they?  Just interested.

3 hours ago, Aussiegrower said:

It looks like a microcarpa to me:

s-l500.jpg

Yes that looks like a microcarpa seed. I hope will u find what u looking for.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Fresh Palm Seed Offerings From Faulkner's Palms.
      By cfkingfish
      Faulkner's Palms will now be offering fresh seeds from Florida and around the world as part of the business. So often I found in the United States that there was not one place to get a bunch of different species of palm seeds. Fresh seeds are key to getting good germination, so here is a list of what we have to start, and it will only build from here. Prices are 25/$10 or 100/$20 plus shipping unless otherwise noted. Also, if you would like to get three species of 25 each, that would also be $20. You can contact me here, or email me at faulknerspalmsllc@gmail.com. Check my Facebook business page for weekly updates on new seed availability.
      Also note - we ship internationally as well.
      Thanks!
      Carpentaria acuminata 
      Gaussia gomez-pompae
      Trachycarpus wagnerianus
      Sabal minor
      Chamaedorea tepelijote
      Gaussia princeps
      Livistona saribus
      Hyophorbe lagenicaulis
      Coccothrinax argentata
      Schippia concolor
      Dypsis lastelliana
      Thrinax radiata
      Coming soon -
      Attalea cohune
      Cyrtostachys renda..... and much more!
    • Will Needle Palm Suckers Flower?
      By PalmTreeDude
      This is probably a very basic question, but I have a nice sized Needle palm with a larger center trunk and smaller suckers all around it. Will the suckers ever flower like the center trunk will? And if they do flower, can the suckers polinate the other suckers and trunks flowers and produce viable seed? Thank you for reading. 
    • Will Needle Palm Suckers Flower?
      By PalmTreeDude
      This is probably a very basic question, but I have a nice sized Needle palm with a larger center trunk and smaller suckers all around it. Will the suckers ever flower like the center trunk will? If if they do flower, can the suckers polinate the other suckers and trunks flowers and product viable seed? Thank you for reading. 
    • Is It a Palm Seed?
      By PalmTreeDude
      I found this seed in Florida and am wondering if it looks like a palm seed. I don't know if it will grow or not but I'm going to try to germinate it, whatever it is. 

• The Swiss Parajubaeas
      By Flow
      I decided to create this new topic to be able to document these two Parajubaea's progress. They are planted in the garden of Hotel Brenscino in Brissago (southern Switzerland). One was donated by @maesy and the other one by yours truly. The garden is open to the public (or at least nobody said anything when I walked in) – if you ever go there, it is totally worth checking out. It is very well cared for and boasts a wide array of exotic plants.
      My little one was planted last year. I was told that last winter was pretty bad for that area and you can see the damage on the older fronds.

Can't complain about the view though!

Marcel's monster. I forget what year it was planted but I think it was 2012. He will certainly tell us.