IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm-Related Resolutions for 2018?

Kim

Maybe you have not given it any thought yet, but what about New Year Resolutions for your palm garden, or life with palms in general -- travel, collecting, deleting, palm care?

There are always chores or ideas I plan for the garden that are not initiated or completed, and thoughts about travel, whether near or far to see palms.  A recent visit to a palm friend's garden kind of stoked the fires again due to his terrific collection (thanks BS Man!).  So here are a few thoughts converted into resolutions for 2018:

1)  A shopping trip to Floribunda! The most outrageous palm nursery on earth, and being so lucky to have access to it by simply taking a drive? A visit is WAY overdue. :)

2)  Finally plant all those palms that have been sitting in pots for 2 - 3 years. Am I the only one suffering from procrastination? :rolleyes:

3)  Fertilize every single palm at least twice in 2018!  (that's expensive, but important)

4)  Take time to sit back and enjoy the palmy view at least once every day while in the garden. B)

5)  Register for the IPS trip to Colombia! (fingers crossed, hoping it all works out)

6)  Reprise visits to the gardens of palm friends.  Things have grown, and it will be fun to see the results.

So, how about you? What are your palmy plans for 2018?

• Upvote 13

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Same resolution since 2010... plant more of them :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I'm going to try to have a mindful New Year.

Mindful = using the assets between the ears, before engaging arms, legs, etc. Consider habitat, eventual size, the experiences of others.

So . . .

1. Edit mindfully, and remove some things that should not have been planted where they are now. Where possible, dig up and pot, and sell or give away.

2. Plant mindfully, remembering the palms removed under 1.

3. Continue watering by hand, observing, watching, especially potted palms.

4. Mindfully follow Amazon's motto "Keep experimenting." Plant a number of a strange plant in different types of places and see how they do. Plan on digging one up in the future, and see how it will take moving. (Keep crying towels handy, too.) I planted four Dypsis basilonga with this in mind, along with D. "Mayotte."

5. In keeping with 4., support our wonderful palm growers and buy things in multiples if possible, to experiment and increase the base of knowledge.

6. Keep giving away seeds and spreading palmy love.

7. Keep encouraging others, and note what happens when they try something that seems crazy. Sometimes it isn't.

8. Keep the corner of the eyes skyward, when in the presence of large Roystoneas.

9. Keep trying to find ways to keep palm leaves out of the green waste, and put them back in the earth where they belong. (This is getting hard!)

10. Sit and gaze at a corner of the garden mindlessly, and invite friends over to do the same; enemies if they like palms.

• Upvote 11

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For me I think I am moving to a more palm friendly area. I already talked to Realtors and am putting my house on the market. Here I come Big Island:lol:

• Upvote 3

OK, let's call them "resolutions" :mrlooney:  (more like "stuff that I will make happen", or maybe that's the same thing? :rolleyes: )

1. Floribunda trip - most definitely. :) It's been a while, much too long in fact. Could use lots more Licualas, Lemurophoenix, Joeys, and whatever else I can squeeze into my truck! :)

2. Yep, plant those neglected palms that have been in pots, not for 2-3 years, but more like 8-10! Yikes! :lol:

3. Fertilize - definitely a very good idea, and WAAAY overdue! :)

4. Pull a few more weeds, OK, LOTS more weeds to be pulled. And chainsawed. Oh, yes! :o

5. Visit more PalmTalk people around the world (2017: doranakandawatta in Sri Lanka, Gbarce in Manila and Kris in India - thanks guys for very special memories! :) )

6. Definitely register for the IPS Biennial in Colombia (my 12th Biennial)

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 5

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

1. Attend my first biennial in Colombia

2. Redecorate my front yard (hopefully not so haphazardly as I did in the back)

3. Try harder to put plants that need cold protection somewhere near each other :unsure:

4. Plan some PRA activities in my nearby area.

5. Meet some more really great palm people

• Upvote 4

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

I've done a lot of Floribunda trippin' this past year.

I'll do some more.

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Love that I inspired two very palmy people to get palmy all over again!! Mostly because both of you have inspired me in the past!!

• Upvote 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

1. Get all of my potted stuff into the ground! (if it is big enough)

2. Get all of my recently planted palms firmly established in the ground

3. Enjoy looking at my palms every chance I get, which is usually only weekends

4. Search for those last few species on my 'to die for' list

5. Continue to hang out with palm peeps and enjoy life!

• Upvote 5

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

2 hours ago, Daryl said:

1. Get all of my potted stuff into the ground! (if it is big enough)

2. Get all of my recently planted palms firmly established in the ground

3. Enjoy looking at my palms every chance I get, which is usually only weekends

4. Search for those last few species on my 'to die for' list

5. Continue to hang out with palm peeps and enjoy life!

What's on your to die for list this Year?

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

On 12/27/2017, 1:21:19, Kim said:

Finally plant all those palms that have been sitting in pots for 2 - 3 years. Am I the only one suffering from procrastination? :rolleyes:

So, how about you? What are your palmy plans for 2018?

This! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Tracy S said:

Pigafetta elata
Dypsis leucomala
Borassus ethiopium & madagascariensis
Neoveitchia storckii
Astrocaryum murumuru (ulei)
Hydriastele chaunostachys

Pritchardia mitiaroana
Pinanga crassipes
Pinanga copelandii
Cyphosperma balansae
Basselinia humboldtiana

Not the rarest stuff in the world, just stuff I have always liked...some of these to replace plants I left behind at my last place.

Edited by Daryl
  • Upvote 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

7 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Love that I inspired two very palmy people to get palmy all over again!! Mostly because both of you have inspired me in the past!!

Bill,

Yes, you did inspire Kim and me on our visit last month!! :) And not only did I forget to include you in my post above (I tend to think of SoCal, and especially the San Diego area, as my second "home base" as opposed to trips to far-away places) but I also forgot to list "big Dypsis" palms in my short list of palms to acquired. What was I thinking? :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Worth a mention -- Bo and I also stopped by Dennis Willoughby's recently, and he is growing some AMAZING Dypsis and 'mystery' palms, plus a Dictyocarium lamarckianum here in California -- just like BS Man's.  I find that truly amazing, considering the fussy reputation of the palm. Oh, and a nice big Dypsis 'orange crush' just like BS Man's. Wonderful to see bold experiments working out. :) 

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Not exactly a New Year’s resolution because the goal is more long-term than that. But pretty much all my goals revolve around moving to a warm, palm-friendly climate.  It’s happenkng much slower than anticipated but I have a plan. I need to gain a few years experience in my profession so that someone will want to hire me someplace much warmer than Ohio. 

• Upvote 5

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

10 hours ago, Daryl said:

Pigafetta elata
Dypsis leucomala
Borassus ethiopium & madagascariensis
Neoveitchia storckii
Astrocaryum murumuru (ulei)
Hydriastele chaunostachys

Pritchardia mitiaroana
Pinanga crassipes
Pinanga copelandii
Cyphosperma balansae
Basselinia humboldtiana

Not the rarest stuff in the world, just stuff I have always liked...some of these to replace plants I left behind at my last place.

Nice list! Keep us posted on your progress :greenthumb:

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

5 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Not exactly a New Year’s resolution because the goal is more long-term than that. But pretty much all my goals revolve around moving to a warm, palm-friendly climate.  It’s happenkng much slower than anticipated but I have a plan. I need to gain a few years experience in my profession so that someone will want to hire me someplace much warmer than Ohio. 

Nurture your profession; if you decide to come to California, let me know.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Dypsis concinna, remotiflora, ifandianae, miriablis, pinnatifrons, among many many others.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Dypsis concinna, remotiflora, ifandianae, miriablis, pinnatifrons, among many many others.

I am renaming you Dypsis Dave!

Please educate me,.. what is  Dypsis Ifandianae?

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

My never to be finished plan is to fill up my 15 acre farm with plants I love.

However a good start will be to empty out all the plants in pots that survived a move from my old farm last April and then were hit by two hurricanes.

After I empty my two shade houses then fill them up again and repeat.

Maybe a Hawaii trip in 2018?

Oh, and to hike to see the Sabinarias in Colombia! 

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

8 minutes ago, Tracy S said:

I am renaming you Dypsis Dave!

Please educate me,.. what is  Dypsis Ifandianae?

Here's a picture from PalmPedia

400px-DSC_0556.jpg400px-DSC_0556.jpg400px-DSC_0556.jpg677px-GarylDSC_0682.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

However a good start will be to empty out all the plants in pots that survived a move from my old farm last April and then were hit by two hurricanes.

You are well on your way for your last goal.

A hawaii trip would be awesome!

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Here's a picture from PalmPedia

400px-DSC_0556.jpg400px-DSC_0556.jpg400px-DSC_0556.jpg677px-GarylDSC_0682.jpg

Nice. Thank you very much!

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

26 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Hope you're all right.

Free seeds are a PM away, if you want them. I've helped other palm lovers raise their stock after the storms.

@Xerarch What field do you work in?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have a huge patch of copernicias sprouted from seed underneath a couple of mature ones and regardless of blood loss i am going to dig and pot them up and reclaim that area of bed !!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Xerarch What field do you work in?

I’m an engineer, specifically I work in natural gas pipeline transmission/distribution systems. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I have some of the last remaining (known) Tahinas in pots that I want and NEED to plant out in the garden. Before someone offers me some sick money. 

• Upvote 4

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Simplest plan ever: Move, and  replace the sacraficed.. Acquire anew and expand... and start the search for some land.. Easy peasy.l

8 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

I have some of the last remaining (known) Tahinas in pots that I want and NEED to plant out in the garden. Before someone offers me some sick money. 

Someone, somehow, give me some SICK money, the sicker the better! :winkie:

• Upvote 1

Focus more on my palms and less on other tropicals. I’m getting rid of extra aroids and Dyckias as well as struggling or weedy shrubbery, foliage, I.e., crape myrtles, hibiscus etc. Cut back sales on eBay to spend time on palms.

Replace unwanted plantings with palms as much as possible to reduce pruning.

Continue to seek fresh, viable seeds like the ones I bought from PTers In FL & HI last year.

Fund an Order from Floribundapalms.

Keep up with my palm studies.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Go to Floribunda again, 

Go to the Pritchardia loweryana group in habitat here on Oahu

See Pritchardia schtaueri in Kona habitat, my brother lives about a stones throw from them

Run the pole line trail on Kauai and see, Viscosa, hardyi, waileana, pearlmani, minor

Find P. glabrata on lanai, never had any luck yet. 

Find and document more P. bakeri on the East Oahu slopes.  Rope down to a group (shown in the picture), on a slope in our

valley and probably be the only human to touch them. who knows they could be a new species. Ok, maybe a drone would be easier and safer. 

aloha

IMG_0393.jpg

• Upvote 2