IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Going to be a cold new year in the upper south/mid atlantic

mdsonofthesouth

Yep first single digits I've seen since at least 2013 maybe 2012. Our average temps for december are high 20s low 30s for a low and 47f for highs. January is mid 20s to low 30s for lows and around 40f for a high. 

Hope yall are prepped abd ready for this arctic blast!

Screenshot_20171225-144628.thumb.png.2c7

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

No it's not and its also not normal...

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

@mdsonofthesouth - up here in central Pennsylvania, the cold is predicted to hold on a few days longer - we're possibly looking at 12 days / 288 hours below freezing!

All my potted palms from @TexasColdHardyPalms are safely in my cool, well lit grow room, and my outdoor Sabal minors that I got in North Carolina are well wrapped and protected.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we are supposed to go above freezing during a normal winter in the day time, but this year has be nothing but out of whack weather. Coldest august to december I have felt, kinda makes me mad when folks say the earth is getting warmer....it aint doing that here! 

I have my in ground palms in the tent for now hoping that we will have a normal winter again. But I guess such is life on and around the fall line...everything is just so inconsistent. But the ground, even if still fully exposed, around my palms would be frozen with my setup but the rest of the ground actually froze pretty good. Usually the ground is soft for most of winter, but at least the palms are safe.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

Oh wow! We might get flurries tomorrow on the warmest day we've had in a few days, but the good news is the forcast has improved by 1 whole degree and still hasnt dropped bellow 7b temps! Hope to God it keeps getting better!

@Laaz hope everything fairs well for yall and your plants pull through!

2....more....days then back to more normal temps! Still low ut better than this crap!

Screenshot_20180103-225113.thumb.png.013

Yeah here too schools delayed but no snow yet. But thursday and friday are going to be the worst yet.

Just had another day of arctic temps added. Saturday just went from lows in the upper teens low 20s to well into the single digits. Just as I feel like I see the light at the end of the tunnel the forcast just seems to get even more depressing...

• 2 weeks later...

Another arctic blast followed by a good stretch of normal temps. If this stays true Thursday will be my tent day for hopefully a while!

Late january looking better.PNG

• 5 weeks later...

Hopefully this is a sign that winter is over! But I fear that means we might get hammered in early march...usually thats the case with an early start to spring.

5a81eb60d95a4_weathermidfeb.PNG.588294c0