IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal ID (From Sprouted Seed)

GoatLockerGuns

Folks,

I am hoping a Sabal guru can help me out.  I am trying to ID the two seedlings in the picture, both harvested from different Sabal Palms.  The one on the left (as you face the picture) was harvested from a Sabal Palm at Hurlburt Field AFB, Florida (near Destin / Fort Walton Beach).  It was a tall, slim Sabal with a small, tight crown.  The one on the right (as you face the picture) was harvested from a Sabal Palm at Lackland AFB, Texas (near San Antonio).  It was a short, fat Sabal with a huge, overflowing crown.  As you can see, the seed on the left is much smaller and rounded.  I think the one on the left is Sabal palmetto and the one on the right is Sabal mexicana; mainly because I have read that the Sabal mexicana produces a much larger seed and that the tree has a larger crown than the Sabal palmetto.  Can anyone confirm if I am right?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

DSC_4443.jpg

Edited by GoatLockerGuns
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

From your description and the size of the seed the one on the left is Palmetto and the right one is Mexicana. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017‎ ‎3‎:‎59‎:‎13‎, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

From your description and the size of the seed the one on the left is Palmetto and the right one is Mexicana. 

Yeah, I think you are correct.  Here are some pictures of the parent tree of the seed on the right.  I do not have pictures from the parent tree of the seed on the left; however, given the size of seed and tree, and its location on the Florida panhandle, I am fairly confident it is a Sabal palmetto.

20171226_120807.jpg

20171226_120840.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker