IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina spectabilis "heel"

Tingtongthai

Today I discovered my new "over  eager "  staff had  cut 2  of the heels  off two of  my Tahina Spectabilis's.

My question, is  this  going to now  kill them?

Plant is well established, 8 feet  tall leaves 6  feet across been in the ground for 3-4  years.

4 minutes ago, Kris said:

Need some visuals please...to understand exactly how your palm looks now.

its  dark here now  but heres  a  shot about 8 months ago they are  much bigger  now , the  plants  look fine the heel was  cut yesterday.

ts.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tingtongthai said:

Today I discovered my new "over  eager "  staff had  cut 2  of the heels  off two of  my Tahina Spectabilis's.

My question, is  this  going to now  kill them?

Plant is well established, 8 feet  tall leaves 6  feet across been in the ground for 3-4  years.

Time for a new, educated "staff".

I think they will be fine. A friend of mine had a similar experience where the new grounds crew cut all the hair off several mature Coccothrinax Crinita, My friend almost had a stroke! Just make sure any new staff understand exotic trees and palms :D 

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

many of  you fail to understand the  reality of  life in a "developing  country" especially a country like Thailand  where Thais  think they are the greatest nation on earth and listening to the advice of any foreigner is just not done.

Thais also  will tell you anything they think you want to hear so when you say dont  do this that or the other they will smile and say yes, 10  minutes later theyve done exactly what they said they would not..

So trying to stay on  topic will it  be ok?

• Upvote 2

Most likely your palm will be OK.  Palms with a 'heel' grow with a 'saxophone' shape.  Imagine the musical instrument in profile.  Your gardeners cut off the analog to the mouthpiece.  I would dust the wounded surface area with powdered sulfur, as a precautionary action against fungus infection in your humid climate.  Good luck !

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

I haven't had any personal experience with heels being cut off, but as the plants are not too young, I don't think it would impact them too much. Most of the heels I've had on older plants just seem to rot off after a while anyway. Did your heels, or their remains look like they had live plant material? If so, the worst problem would be introducing a fungus.

Edited by Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

7 minutes ago, Daryl said:

I haven't had any personal experience with heels being cut off, but as the plants are not too young, I don't think it would impact them too much. Most of the heels I've had on older plants just seem to rot off after a while anyway. Did your heels, or their remains look like they had live plant material? If so, the worst problem would be introducing a fungus.

Photos  coming shortly its  just getting light here, they havent  cut  the whole  heel  off  but  nicked  the top off.

Shes  only cut  off  the end of one on closer examination and theres  no  living tissue so am thinking it  will be  ok, these  are  about 8+feet  tall leaves 6feet across , the  lights are about 3  feet  tall for scale.

For interest thats one of my Medemias behind its about 18 feet  tall with 3  feet of trunk.

20171223_064401.jpg

20171223_064419.jpg

20171223_064446.jpg

Edited by Tingtongthai
  • Upvote 9

Dear Paul,

As Darold Petty has said sulfur based fungicide will heal that wound properly provided you are not in your cool rainy season.If its early summer i think there is no problem to the palm.And do not water that palm for 3 days to one week when treating with sulfur.Let the wound heal properly.And if the soil around the palm is dry water it in the area of your blue metal rocks and not directly to the trunk area.i.e watering the palm exactly back side of the wound region.And fill the entire dug up area(red soil visible area around the trunk)fill it with those rocks seen near by till you feel the wound has healed properly.Since fungus/moisture can't remain in the rock material.

And a small suggestion kindly take back all the pruning tools from your Ranch Hands(Women Gardeners).It seems that they need some supervision by the some knowledgeable person. And never tell that your palms/plants are rare,special or hard to find varieties...to your workers.

Btw. your garden and the drive way,landscaping are very beautiful and impressive.

Wish you all the best with those Tahina palms.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

On 12/23/2017, 5:04:49, Kris said:

and a small suggestion kindly take back all the pruning tools from your Ranch Hands(Women Gardeners).It seems that they need some supervision by the some knowledgeable person.

Hold the phone! That was not just a generalization on women gardeners, was it friend? ;) I am by far and wide NOT a feminist, but gardening knowledge has nothing to do with gender :hmm:

• Upvote 3

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

'Poop' just got real in this thread...

Some of the best gardeners i know are of the female persuasion.    

• Upvote 4

In Asia, just like here in Morocco, women probably never work as full-time gardeners because it is a job that requires some physical strenght, therefore whenever they work in this field their tasks have more to do with cleaning than "botanical care", thus the lack of knowledge ; And because women especially want to do a good job (unlike male gardeners that show much more laziness and wickedness in their work), they tend to clean things up too much (even I, a palm lover, didn't know this palm grew heels, I could have mistaken them for the dead roots of a formerly planted tree);

As far as I'm concerned, I would rather employ women to do cleaning jobs because they usually accept the idea of being given directions by the employer and are far less prone to viciously harm the employer's property after being given directions, which happens many times in an act of "revenge" against the "rich that enslaves them and dares to give them orders" ;
Because of that, I totally agree with Kris when he says that one should never tell his employees that his/her plants are rare, special or hard to find varieties, it is giving them the stick to be beaten with ;

Factually, what Kris meant is particularly correct considering that he was talking to someone who lives in Thailand, he just said it in a wording that is a bit too harsh and condescending (because some female garderners killed by mistake some precious plants he had, and that still hurts?) ;

Basically, in a non western context, if one has the option, he/she should employ women and supervise the operation ;
And yes, in a context like mine (non western), men massively display an irritating lack of knowledge, irritating because they pretend to be knowledgeable ;

Edited by Nakheel1412

On 12/22/2017, 10:11:19, Tingtongthai said:

Shes  only cut  off  the end of one on closer examination and theres  no  living tissue so am thinking it  will be  ok, these  are  about 8+feet  tall leaves 6feet across , the  lights are about 3  feet  tall for scale.

For interest thats one of my Medemias behind its about 18 feet  tall with 3  feet of trunk.

20171223_064401.jpg

20171223_064419.jpg

20171223_064446.jpg

Speechless, seriously I’m speechless 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/23/2017, 1:11:19, Tingtongthai said:

20171223_064401.jpg

20171223_064419.jpg

20171223_064446.jpg

Awesome palms and landscaping well done.

Beautiful Palms! But man my sense of scale must be way off as those look much smaller... Any pics with someone standing next to one?

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 12/28/2017, 6:37:19, Nakheel1412 said:

In Asia, just like here in Morocco, women probably never work as full-time gardeners because it is a job that requires some physical strenght, therefore whenever they work in this field their tasks have more to do with cleaning than "botanical care", thus the lack of knowledge ; And because women especially want to do a good job (unlike male gardeners that show much more laziness and wickedness in their work), they tend to clean things up too much (even I, a palm lover, didn't know this palm grew heels, I could have mistaken them for the dead roots of a formerly planted tree);

As far as I'm concerned, I would rather employ women to do cleaning jobs because they usually accept the idea of being given directions by the employer and are far less prone to viciously harm the employer's property after being given directions, which happens many times in an act of "revenge" against the "rich that enslaves them and dares to give them orders" ;
Because of that, I totally agree with Kris when he says that one should never tell his employees that his/her plants are rare, special or hard to find varieties, it is giving them the stick to be beaten with ;

Factually, what Kris meant is particularly correct considering that he was talking to someone who lives in Thailand, he just said it in a wording that is a bit too harsh and condescending (because some female garderners killed by mistake some precious plants he had, and that still hurts?) ;

Basically, in a non western context, if one has the option, he/she should employ women and supervise the operation ;
And yes, in a context like mine (non western), men massively display an irritating lack of knowledge, irritating because they pretend to be knowledgeable ;

I totally figured it was a cultural thing. Not trying to start a debate, but boy am I glad I was born in the good ol' U.S. of A. where I'm not viewed as lacking in physical strength or less educated due to my God-given gender! :wub: HAUL all the things and RESEARCH all the things!! :greenthumb:^_^:greenthumb:

Okay, sorry to derail the OP's topic. Back to it mates!

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: