IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is this? Pinanga?

Missi

A friend saw this at a hot springs in Costa Rica and is wanting an i.d. To me it looks very Pinanga, but not sure what kind. Not coronata, right? It's mottling and coloring on the emergent leaf is more intense than anything I've seen on either of mine. He can't remember if the palm in the background with the Pinanga-like inflorescence is the same palm as the main one in the pic. 

IMG_0210.PNG

IMG_0211.PNG

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Pretty sure this is a Thai Mottled pinanga (distica). Very pretty. 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Definitely Pinaga and a clumper. My money is on Pinanga Coronata "Kuhlii form". Disticha has undivided or bifid leaf, doesn't seem like that fits here.

Species? You tell me.

Pretty? YES. My eyes tell me.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/16/2017, 1:27:33, Tracy S said:

Pretty sure this is a Thai Mottled pinanga (distica). Very pretty. 

Wait, P. 'Thai Mottled' is different from P. disticha, no?

On 12/16/2017, 6:19:01, atlantisrising said:

Definitely Pinaga and a clumper. My money is on Pinanga Coronata "Kuhlii form". Disticha has undivided or bifid leaf, doesn't seem like that fits here.

Well, I'm kinda confused now. Some of the photos on disticha show it with pinnate leaves.

OK. The photos confuse me a bit also. I really had not looked at them, just read the description. According to the description, disticha is undivided or bifid and at maturity possibly slightly pinnate. And also variable just for fun. The palmpedia photos by Craft in Nong Nooch show a bifid specimen and a pinnate specimen. So could be disticha, glad I only had 5 cents to bet with! Thanks to the palm affliction.

• Upvote 1

It's very hard to be certain, other than it is a Pinanga. It definitely is not P. coronata.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Personally looks like every P. coronata 'kuhlii' I've ever see. It's a beautiful, semi-cold sensitive species. Very underused landscape plant in my area.

Stunning photos doranakandawatta!! I do not believe the palm in my original post is coronata, especially not 'Kuhlii'. :hmm:

If even Jeff is stumped, then I'm not sure if we'll ever know! :bemused::mrlooney:

Open to more suggestions, though! :interesting:

I have literally grown thousands of P. coronata/ kuhlii. Both the narrow and wide leaf forms. I have never seen one plant have mottled leaves.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

So I definitely haven't grown thousands of coronata, but I have grown about a hundred or two between work and my own plants. My experience has been exclusively with the kuhlii (broadleaf) form, but every individual I've seen has had at least some degree of mottling, although it seems to be variable between plants. The mottling is always the heaviest on younger plants and younger stems of larger plants, fading to generally only a tinge on just the newer leaves on large mature stems. As I said the mottling can be variable, so maybe you've just grown from stock that has little to no mottling Jeff? Can't think of any other explanation why you've never noticed mottling.

So the palm in the picture appears to be either a seedling of the Pinanga in the back ground (which has trunks, crown shafts, and inflorescences that fit coronata) or a young trunk off of it. Either way, that's when coronata shows it's most pronounced mottling. The pictured one does have particularly nice mottling as far as these go.

Aside from the fact that it looks like coronata to start out with to me, coronata is the only Pinanga I've ever seen used in landscapes in Costa Rica. I'm sure there are plenty of other species being grown in private collections, but given how common coronata is there at hotels and resorts, it makes a lot more sense that's what would be at some hot springs there as opposed to some rare difficult to identify species.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Here's pictures of four different individuals.

IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.56a92a3829195c05a32ccIMG_1518.thumb.JPG.087b1dad794f2fa5b18a0IMG_1517.thumb.JPG.ab09642fe9e33d474c492IMG_1516.thumb.JPG.f8d932dbeafefb4b07eeeIMG_1515.thumb.JPG.dd9e3c32ca30a19bcdfe8IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.d04aae72f7f551cbe7c17IMG_1503.thumb.JPG.db42515f8f3b988061dea

• Upvote 4

On 12/22/2017, 9:39:04, Rory said:

... but every individual I've seen has had at least some degree of mottling, although it seems to be variable between plants. The mottling is always the heaviest on younger plants and younger stems of larger plants, fading to generally only a tinge on just the newer leaves on large mature stems.

This has been my experience with my 'Kuhlii' as well, but I've only grown 2...and from the same grower who sold them on eBay. I would say mine don't exhibit the same about of mottling as yours, but just slightly more faint. Definitely noticeable, though. That being said, I've had mine for a few years and they never looked like the palm in my original post. Would you disagree that it appears more similar to P. disticha?