IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some photos from Miyako`s smallest neighbor island Kurima

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

after my "hunts" for naturally grown Cocos nucifera here on Miyako and it`s neighbor

island Irabu, I was quite busy at work and home - but today I felt a strong urge to drive down

to another island connected via bridge with Miyako - it must have been the good weather we had today - 

to take a brief look with my daughter at the flora over there. (I have been there before but never really looked closely

to it`s plants...) Even after being connected with a bridge, it is still a very quiet island with a slowly growing

tourism infrastructure. The island`s name is Kurima, located southwest of Miyako.

Here we go:

002x.thumb.JPG.de7e2d1ca1efbf82577b66525

After reaching the island I found this board which might give you an overview about the island`s location.

The board is placed at the bottom of an observation platform...

005x.thumb.JPG.c96e58e22b6a2f70391fa5837

where I found this beautiful this Cocos nucifera and...

007x.thumb.JPG.5987496c0eeab378558bfa853

...some Phoenix palms (dactylifera?).

Reaching the top...

010x.thumb.JPG.fe7f96ae0f63da0ab1a9c03ad

A spectacular view back to Miyako.

Following the same (short) coastline on an old track slowly back to the bridge...

013x.thumb.JPG.7bd900ebfb9d44e6c744090e2

..the island`s main palm will always be on your side - very likely - a Arenga ryukyuensis, since it`s stems are quite short compared

to Arenga engleri, but please correct me if I am wrong.

014x.thumb.JPG.4f9bf60f8e6e6634c41d1485d

Almost impenetrable habitat, ...

015x.thumb.JPG.02da976c683ceffe8c720f056

...but beautiful.

016x.thumb.JPG.645ff5c0fca9cd1f3cd57de4b

These steps are looking really like from ancient times...

020x.thumb.JPG.1da29eca9565c1967d7b91caa

Arengas wherever you are. Green above,...

019x.thumb.JPG.e8467272e39ed217758949e78

...silvery beneath.

021x.thumb.JPG.d9360101203fb8e18a2229b89

Here as well as everywhere around Miyako, Adonidia merrillii.

022x.thumb.JPG.0c858317de427a9708e435748

Reaching an almost untouched sacred place,...

023x.thumb.JPG.82e0b09d286b536a4bb64a779

... again Arenga palms are welcoming you.

024x.thumb.JPG.00c4b079d762d622a97bf1ea0

Everywhere.

026x.thumb.JPG.c364a2eb1cd1c7b27f6838c8b

Literally!

027x.thumb.JPG.d03132e30920d38ff6eea7156

Finally an impressive Cycas revoluta while...

028x.thumb.JPG.869673c944abd011b0f0c6d83

reaching again an open spot offering a spectacular view.

Running out of time we headed back to the bridge...

004x.thumb.JPG.3ffdf89a72ced4f1f3ac201d2

...and while riding home...

029x.thumb.JPG.426dbb128ed8936e05159af7a

...I promised myself to be back for at least half a day to check this place out more accurately.

Ok, that should it be for the moment - my apologizes for the low picture quality, I simply forgot my camera at home, I had just my phone with me. 

Thank you for your time,

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 17

Beautiful!! Best way to tell ryukuensis from engleri is the fruit and influitecense. The fruit will be rounder and stays tucked up into the canopy with a more compact clump. 

• Upvote 1

BEAUTIFUL!

Gonna have to run down the street and scream before I can articulate anything useful.

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/15/2017, 10:54:04, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Beautiful!! Best way to tell ryukuensis from engleri is the fruit and influitecense. The fruit will be rounder and stays tucked up into the canopy with a more compact clump. 

Joe,

Thank you very much! Since getting more aware of the difference between the ryukyuensis and engleri species I will try to find out more about their spots here on

Miyako and it`s neighbor islands.

On 12/16/2017, 12:52:51, CLINODAVE said:

beautiful!  What are typical winter temps on that island?

Dave,

Thank you very much! 

Well average temps from December until February are about 19C/67F, but we have very often many warmer days than that. The cold temperatures occur usually

just on days with wind from the north, if that winds stops, we get easily 23C/74F and more. Tops up to 27C/81F are not rare, tops down to 13C/56F are.

On 12/16/2017, 4:36:13, gyuseppe said:

beautiful pictures!
how many kilometers is along the bridge?

Giuseppe,

Thank you again for following! The bridge to Kurima is almost 1,7km long. The longest one is the to our other neighbor island Irabu with almost 3,5km.

On 12/17/2017, 10:24:28, DoomsDave said:

BEAUTIFUL!

Gonna have to run down the street and scream before I can articulate anything useful.

Dave,

Thank you very much - I am very glad you liked it.

Please check my new threat "Arenga habitat photos from Miyako island" - coming up soon.

With best regards

Lars

UGH THAT OCEAN VIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::wub::wub::wub: Hope you did some sea shelling afterwards! 

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

You are certainly in a very special place! Loved the tour of the island - pretty spectacular! :)

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 12/21/2017, 11:46:45, Missi said:

UGH THAT OCEAN VIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::wub::wub::wub: Hope you did some sea shelling afterwards! 

Dear Missi,

the sea around our islands is considered to be the most beautiful of Japan.

Sea temperature never drops below 20C/68F, so if we have no wind from the north you can hop in even in winter.

Big fishes are out there as well - poisonous creatures, too - and since I am not really in "sea affairs", I am good with the beaches/shore and our island`s palms. ;)  

On 12/22/2017, 5:38:58, bgl said:

You are certainly in a very special place! Loved the tour of the island - pretty spectacular! :)

Bo-Göran

Dear Bo-Göran,

I am glad you liked it, thank you very much! 

I try to find out what grows where over here and what can I grow by myself from seeds bought overseas. 

I will introduce places of interest (Miyako, - if possible of other Okinawian islands, too) here on palmtalk and give updates of my garden

plants from time to time. Please feel kindly invited to follow.

On 12/23/2017, 7:05:45, Alberto said:

Thanks for sharing.

Dear Alberto,

Thank you very much! Since I am following your interesting posts regularly, I am very glad that I could do herewith something in return.

Merry Christmas to all of you,

best regards

Lars

Edited by palmfriend
misspelling
  • Upvote 2

What a nice place... I need a work visa ;)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The first time I looked at your thread, I had not realized how far south Miyako Island is! What an interesting place to live and grow palms. :)  Are you native to the island or did you move there for work reasons? The color of the ocean there is spectacular. Japan is a fascinating country -- and great food! Don't hesitate to share more than just the palms. B)

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 12/26/2017, 10:07:19, kinzyjr said:

What a nice place... I need a work visa ;)

Dear Jeremy,

indeed a nice place - but quite remote if you have high-tech Japan in mind. There is no real manufacturing over here, just farming (sugar cane & mango),

fishing and tourism, salaries are much lower than on the main islands. Since there is still a lot of unused land I hope to be able to purchase some of it to

grow different non-indigenous palms in larger scale, maybe starting something like a nursery. Currently I am growing plenty of palms - almost all from 

seed from rps, seedrack etc.- to find out about what is possible and makes sense and what not. 

I will keep the forum informed. :greenthumb:

On 12/27/2017, 1:46:39, Kim said:

The first time I looked at your thread, I had not realized how far south Miyako Island is! What an interesting place to live and grow palms. :)  Are you native to the island or did you move there for work reasons? The color of the ocean there is spectacular. Japan is a fascinating country -- and great food! Don't hesitate to share more than just the palms. B)

Dear Kim,

Thank you very much for your post. After getting used to it indeed a nice place to live - and to grow palms! :D

No, I am not native. I came to Japan with university degrees of Japanese Studies - and Southeast Asian Studies, as well - and living now almost

literally between Southeast Asia (Philippines) and East Asia (Japan) on one of the islands of the Okinawian/Ryukyu island chain.

How I ended up here is a long story, not suited for this forum, but I like Japan very much and love Southeast Asia, too. Living at the probably

most northwestern tip of the warmer Pacific area is a great pleasure and opens many opportunities. 

I will let the forum know if I find out more about it`s indigenous palms and about what I am growing in my own garden. 

(Last month a landscaper on Okinawa main island told me seriously about three different Satakentia species - it looks like I got a new mission... B))

Best regards

Lars

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Lars, I won't never be tired to repeat you the same: These islands look completely tropical! Plant some cocos and you'll have big coconuts in some years. :P

Those turqoise waters are just amazing mate! I imagine those shores filled with big coconuts, someone has to plant them!!

Edited by Alicante
  • Upvote 3

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

On 1/17/2018, 2:09:13, Alicante said:

Lars, I won't never be tired to repeat you the same: These islands look completely tropical! Plant some cocos and you'll have big coconuts in some years. :P

Those turqoise waters are just amazing mate! I imagine those shores filled with big coconuts, someone has to plant them!!

Adam,

Thank you very much for your reply!

As mentioned before, I am on the edge to check out what can be grown here and what not - so, no worries! 

Cocos nucifera is always on top of my list, I have got a few home depot ones (very likely Malayan dwarfs) and 

some very well growing washed ashore green *** ones. I have no idea what they are at the moment, but they

do great - I will post pictures soon, especially since they are recovering pretty well since Typhoon Talim hit us

three months ago. 

I am preparing an update about my garden, so stay tuned ;)

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

Hi Lars, I'm late to the game, but this was a good tour. I love seeing more of Japan, especially the tropical bits. Great pics as always, even from a camera phone. That inpenetrable jungle is something else, isn't it!

Cheers,
JT

• Upvote 2

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

JT,

Thank you for joining! After my Cocos nucifera threads I got now hooked by our Arengas - checking out those

spots like in this thread is pure excitement. I am still lacking the knowledge to ID palms correctly but I am working on it. 

Today I have seen some pretty tall Livistona chinensis, may be I am going to make a thread about them as well.

best regards

Lars

On 12/27/2017, 9:24:18, palmfriend said:

(Last month a landscaper on Okinawa main island told me seriously about three different Satakentia species - it looks like I got a new mission... B))

Best regards

Lars

I am interested in this. Can you tell me more about these three species?