IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina spectabalis

Jeff Searle

:blink: I want to hug it!! :wub: You really don't get the feel as to how HUGE it is until you see some dudes standing next to it! Super rad!! :yay:

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎25‎:‎00‎, Mandrew968 said:

If that palm is 15', that would make Jeff about 3'... 

So grateful I won't be stuck on a bus with this guy at the Columbian Biennel!  :sick:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Btw, When I said I didn't know of any in So Cal doing well, I forgot Matt Pettrocelli has a good sized one going.. probably a 1/4 the size of Jeffs, but doing well!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Only ONE, pah u folks  must try harder, mine were in pots for years but were from the original batch of seed, only  went in the ground couple of years back hence smaller  size, my friends  which went straight in the ground is  bigger than that 20  footer.

Medemia  behind

20180319_083141.jpg

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Moose said:

So grateful I won't be stuck on a bus with this guy at the Columbian Biennel!  :sick:

hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I've developed a bit of an unhealthy obsession with giant fan palms because of this forum...

Just received my seedling corypha umbraculifera and I have sabal causiarum seeds on the way as well. Thankfully this one is so rare that I wasn't able to find anything just doing a quick internet search because one day I'm going to have about .02 sq feet of yard space left after these palms reach maturity!

• Upvote 4

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

6 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I've developed a bit of an unhealthy obsession with giant fan palms because of this forum...

Just received my seedling corypha umbraculifera and I have sabal causiarum seeds on the way as well. Thankfully this one is so rare that I wasn't able to find anything just doing a quick internet search because one day I'm going to have about .02 sq feet of yard space left after these palms reach maturity!

Welcome to the club. Your not alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

21 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Hopefully you've already come across the Copernicias!! :drool:

26 minutes ago, Missi said:

Hopefully you've already come across the Copernicias!! :drool:

I have! I have one I bought from Jeff Searle that he referred to as a hybrid c. yarey that will grow as a clumping palm, but my fav, c. fallaensis, is a bitttttt out of budget for me at the moment. haha

• Upvote 1

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

3 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I have! I have one I bought from Jeff Searle that he referred to as a hybrid c. yarey that will grow as a clumping palm, but my fav, c. fallaensis, is a bitttttt out of budget for me at the moment. haha

Last year I got 2 fallaensis seedlings from @TexasColdHardyPalms for $25 each, I think. :yay: They're doing GREAT! He said they'll most likely be pure because they were habitat collected. See if he still has some if you'd like. I got 2 young baileyanas from the Fairchild member's day sale a few years ago, and I just got hospita and ridgida seedlings from Floribunda! I'm addicted to Copes!

• Upvote 2

Great video. Love the birds eye view of those palms

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

4 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Great video. Love the birds eye view of those palms

Did I miss a video ?

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes you did miss a great video. It was in a completely unrelated thread. Not sure how I managed to post the reply in the wrong place.:bummed:

How about a photo of my very small, gigantic palms to make up for my faux pas? I don't have a tahina but here is my just planted talipot (corypha umbraclifera). Next photo is my Copernicus fallense. Wish I could find a tahina but I think I'm out of room for the big guys.

1521636599613499278538.jpg

1521636682297655441165.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Chad, you have chosen two big fan palms.  The corypha is going to take up a lot of volume in your yard, they are massive.  You have a nice climate to grow that one long term.  Im a bit colder than you and I just didn't want to risk a big one dying in a cold snap.  The causiarum is also a huge palm, though probably only 70-75% the size of a corypha, but still a bit bigger than bismarckia.  I have an area also where I have big fans planted including bismarckia, S Causiarum, C. fallaense, and Borassus Aethiopum.  As they grew in, I ran out of room and had to pull 2 other palms to fit them as they grew in.  I never envisioned that they will throw so much shade till their widths started opening up.  Welcome to the forum!

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

43 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

Chad, you have chosen two big fan palms.  The corypha is going to take up a lot of volume in your yard, they are massive.  You have a nice climate to grow that one long term.  Im a bit colder than you and I just didn't want to risk a big one dying in a cold snap.  The causiarum is also a huge palm, though probably only 70-75% the size of a corypha, but still a bit bigger than bismarckia.  I have an area also where I have big fans planted including bismarckia, S Causiarum, C. fallaense, and Borassus Aethiopum.  As they grew in, I ran out of room and had to pull 2 other palms to fit them as they grew in.  I never envisioned that they will throw so much shade till their widths started opening up.  Welcome to the forum!

I don't even own the house I'm currently in, and it only has a patio (albeit and very large one) where I'm keeping most of my palms in pots. I've only planted a washintonia and two livistona chinensis which will take up about as much room as it offers without being obtrusive when they grow large. My landlord okay-ed the plantings prior to me making that move.

I do have a bismarckia and corypha in pots, and will eventually (hopefully) get those sabal causiarum seeds germinated, so when my partner and I purchase a house in a few years, a large yard is going to be a requirement. It was anyway though, because I know my ceaseless need to garden/landscape is not something I can do without. haha Luckily, they're all slow growing palms and since they're in pots for now, I expect no real issues in that amount of time.

Edited by chad2468emr

I purchased a small house with a big yard. Now it is full. Tahina, Corypha utan and Corypha umbraculifera. Flowering Copernicia hospital and macroglossa. Trunking Copernicia baileyana. Bismarckia nobilis with 30+ ft of trunk. It's insanity :o.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Moose said:

I purchased a small house with a big yard. Now it is full. Tahina, Corypha utan and Corypha umbraculifera. Flowering Copernicia hospital and macroglossa. Trunking Copernicia baileyana. Bismarckia nobilis with 30+ ft of trunk. It's insanity :o.

Pictures good man! Pictures!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎25‎:‎00‎, Mandrew968 said:

If that palm is 15', that would make Jeff about 3'... 

So how big is this one? Andrew?

post-76-1227809451_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I second the call for pics moose!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

NIX without PIX !  Perhaps you can borrow TriodeRob's camera ?   :mrlooney:

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

20 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

NIX without PIX !  Perhaps you can borrow TriodeRob's camera ?   :mrlooney:

There is no garden, there is no Moose.. Like Triode Rob, the Moose is an illusion of the Cloud. :hmm:

• Upvote 4

On 3/21/2018, 9:13:20, Moose said:

Tell us more about this flowering Copernicia hospital...

Somebody's watching

thMod-2-2.JPG

• Upvote 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 3 months later...

adding to an older thread here... Do any of you with Tahina Spectabilis have any insight into how it handles wind? A friend has one here in Bermuda but does not have the space for it. I have space but it will be exposed to northerly winds. In Bermuda, temperature is not a huge issue, but we get heavy sustained winter winds out of the north for days at a time. On rare occasions these reach up to 70mph gusts. It would be more protected from the south where the strong hurricane winds come from but it will almost certainly see 80mph winds before it suicides.

So I'm wondering if 1) it can survive heavy annual winds without looking like a shredded brown mess (those are big sails) and 2) does it have any chance of surviving a hurricane. It sounds like some of you florida people had them in the ground for the '17 storms so might be able to help...

11 hours ago, bdaalex said:

adding to an older thread here... Do any of you with Tahina Spectabilis have any insight into how it handles wind? A friend has one here in Bermuda but does not have the space for it. I have space but it will be exposed to northerly winds. In Bermuda, temperature is not a huge issue, but we get heavy sustained winter winds out of the north for days at a time. On rare occasions these reach up to 70mph gusts. It would be more protected from the south where the strong hurricane winds come from but it will almost certainly see 80mph winds before it suicides.

So I'm wondering if 1) it can survive heavy annual winds without looking like a shredded brown mess (those are big sails) and 2) does it have any chance of surviving a hurricane. It sounds like some of you florida people had them in the ground for the '17 storms so might be able to help...

we get some decent gusts here and the Tahina have never even started to tear, they are super tough. 70mph winds though... im not so sure.

there is indeed a hurricane bearing down imminently, so i may have an answer for you tomorrow haha