IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Salt tolerant Palms other than Coconuts

Gileno Machado

Hi everybody,

Who has some experience with saltspray under seaside conditions here? What species are surprising you? Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

• Upvote 3

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Pseudophoenix sargentii does great! It loves the salt spray, and my small ones haven't noticed the two hurricanes they've endured in back-to-back years :-) Cabbage palms do pretty well, though I can see they look a bit less robust right on the Brevard coast (LOTS of salt spray and heavy winds a few times a year). My Coccothrinax argentata also looks fantastic, and it's unprotected in the front yard where we get a lot of salt-laden wind. My royal is healthy enough, but it's fronds always look ratty. I'd say it needs to be at least a half mile from the beach (or at least not on a street that unobstructed beach breezes). The Christmas palms seem to do quite well with the salt spray too.

I get salt burn even on my Cocos that are growing just meters from the ocean. My best looking palms closest to the salt spray are the usual candidates,Thrinax radiata, Allagoptera arenaria, Pseudophoenix sargentii and Coccothrinax argentea.

Just slightly further back Bismarckias are thriving.

Veitchia joannis is doing well with some burn,but not unsightly. 

Acoelorraphe wrightii is doing really well for me.

Rhapis excelsa ,as long as it gets some shade.

Arenga australasica is spectacular.

Ptychosperma propinquum gets a little protection from tall Wodyetias.

Wodyetias are still iffy. Most years they are fine.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

General view...

IMG_0896.thumb.JPG.599de6356da9cb6d36699

• Upvote 5

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Hello there,

since we are a smaller island all of our plants/palms (growing over here) have to be salt tolerant until a certain level.

We have got...

01x.thumb.jpg.0d1526f95b093a58c2795c6d46

Arenga engleri (this one is in our Botanical garden, but there are plenty of them in the wild as well)

02x.thumb.jpg.05b9593888f3065c2572b35074

Livistona Chinensis (right on the shore)

03x.thumb.jpg.fad3f37eff9d7eb5158cb45063

Satakentias liukiuensis (at a beach resort)

04x.thumb.jpg.7cc4b20e85519412b374e083fc

CIDP (at a beach resort)

05x.thumb.jpg.46d3bf1579b3b17d238fbb5da9

Dypsis decaryi (harbour area)

06x.thumb.JPG.eef16eec0b96f6848ca22e9093

Veitchia merrillii (grows everywhere like weed)

07x.thumb.jpg.25192b09244a39ee374ab4ef88

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (habour area)

08x.thumb.JPG.b6a06cdd8c319954d8f933696d

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii (harbour area)

and

09x.thumb.jpg.3bd65b66337f9c03b3407e913e

Areca lutescens (my garden),

just to name the most common ones besides Cocos nucifera. (We have got Roystonias as well, but I haven`t a nice photo at hand

- the most of them took heavy damages due typhoon Talim a few weeks ago...)

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 7

Allagoptera arenaria is completely salt proof along with serenoa repens as they are both dune erosion palms. 

• Upvote 1

Beccariophoenix also do well. There are numerous Dypsis specie also, mananjarensis, prestoniana, robusta, madagascariensis, Copernicia macroglossa. I have others also being tried very near the coast line on the east side of the big island of Hawaii. A few more come to mind Deckinia, Hydraistele cylindrocarpa, Hydraistele macrocarpa. Not to forget Tahina. 

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Salt tolerant equals Phoenix dactylifera

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks amigos, lots of good suggestions here.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

7 hours ago, jdapalms said:

Beccariophoenix also do well. There are numerous Dypsis specie also, mananjarensis, prestoniana, robusta, madagascariensis, Copernicia macroglossa. I have others also being tried very near the coast line on the east side of the big island of Hawaii. A few more come to mind Deckinia, Hydraistele cylindrocarpa, Hydraistele macrocarpa. Not to forget Tahina. 

I am also growing Beccariophoenix madagascariensis on my frontline, so far it is a slow growing palm. I have Beccariophoenix fenestralis that will be planted out when our rains return in May. I think I am the most excited about growing these palms at the beach. I really like their lush green look.

• Upvote 1

Dictyosperma album without a doubt...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I think there are very few palms that do well on the frontline/beachfront. All the palms I mentioned in my post are growing within 100mts of the beachfront.

Just beyond the 100mt line I am growing 50+ palm species. 

In Fiji we have planted Bismarck palms in several locations on or just in from the beach and some have been under salt water in cyclones more than once and they all survive and recover well. All are at least 10 meters away from the high tide mark but constantly affected by salt-laden winds.

Others in the same locations doing well are the Chinese fan palm, Manila palm, A.arenaria and of  course coconuts. Triangle, golden cane palms and foxtails doing well a little further behind. These location get hammered and inundated with salt water when we receive cyclonic conditions and constantly pounded with salt-laden winds during mid-year tradewind season. But they all take it well.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

• 3 years later...

I live in Darwin, Australia which is 12°S and on the coast that get regular NW Monsoons, the most common palms on the beach front here are Coconuts, canary Island date palms (saw someone say they dont like salt or humidity but we have large ones that have survived the salt and humidity for at least 30 years), foxtail, macarthur, various fan palms. I personally have foxtail, macarthur, golden cane, redneck (teddy bear), triangle, Carpentaria, Alexander, D. Pembana, sealing wax, bamboo and Parlour, all living within 5 meters of the water front and all get dosed with salt spray with strong monsoonal winds and the only one that gets any significant damage but still recovers is the Parlour palm. Not say none get salt burn but none get any major damage and all recover quickly.