Chamadorea radicalis trying from seed!

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I'd give each one a gallon pot when they get about 3 - 4 leaves. Once they start to go pinnate, maybe put them in fives, where they can stay for life. When you find out who the boys and girls are, maybe put two girls and a boy in a 10 - 15 gallon tub and let the fun begin!

Awesome thanks for the help! My older (lol) ones should be putting new leaves soon I hope as most have had 2 good leaves for a little while now. I have some 18in pots that I would love to try and see what happens when I put boys and girls together. Ill call it my menage trois pots lol.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Just now, mdsonofthesouth said:

Awesome thanks for the help! My older (lol) ones should be putting new leaves soon I hope as most have had 2 good leaves for a little while now. I have some 18in pots that I would love to try and see what happens when I put boys and girls together. Ill call it my swinger pots lol.

Maybe a clump, later into a bigger pot.

I think MD might be a bit cold but, who knows?

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Maybe a clump, later into a bigger pot.

I think MD might be a bit cold but, who knows?

Right now we are dealing with a cold front and are at or just above freezing. I will be trying a few of these in the ground and in a more protected place. Im switching my garden around this spring and swapping the old setup to just yuccas and more cold hardy palms, and moving my trucking/zone pushing to the other side of the house for a MUCH better microclimate.

On 25.01.2018, 04:44:11, Fusca said:

Here are 3 of mine - I suspect that the one on the left is one of the "trunking" types and the one to the right is a "non-trunking" type since they emerged at the same time.  Too early to tell what the new one in the front is yet.  I've kept these outside and probably should keep it inside because they haven't moved much lately!

Jon

Chamaedorea radicalis 001.JPG

@Fusca What is this substrate?

3 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Fusca What is this substrate?

It's a basic potting mix combined with some extra perlite for better drainage.  Lots of hardwood mulch on top to keep it moist longer.  :)

I since have added a fourth sprout but overall not a very good germination rate yet, but we are getting high spring temperatures now so that might change.  I didn't use any bottom heat since my heating pad is covered with other seeds!  

Jon

Still growing but seemed to have slowed. Might do a folier spray on the larger with organic sea kelp. What do yall think?20180412_064627.thumb.jpg.2e2160a0fe69b8

Oh guys, in case you didn't know, you can't tell if it is trunking or not by the length of the first stalk.

A friend of mine had a heap of radicalis under 2' for 12 yrs, then they all grew like a beanstalks.

Consequently he reckons that trunking or non trunking is just a matter of time.

Well son, I think that you will have a whole bunch of those suckers it doesn't matter what you do. :-)  

As long as they are healthy doesnt matter which ones I get. 

Not even 6 months from the time Dave sent me seeds and the first palm is putting off its second frond! Going to pot most of them up soon as others are starting their second as well.20180528_091923.thumb.jpg.165ddce5ab2c4c