IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamadorea radicalis trying from seed!

mdsonofthesouth

15 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I'd give each one a gallon pot when they get about 3 - 4 leaves. Once they start to go pinnate, maybe put them in fives, where they can stay for life. When you find out who the boys and girls are, maybe put two girls and a boy in a 10 - 15 gallon tub and let the fun begin!

Awesome thanks for the help! My older (lol) ones should be putting new leaves soon I hope as most have had 2 good leaves for a little while now. I have some 18in pots that I would love to try and see what happens when I put boys and girls together. Ill call it my menage trois pots lol.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Just now, mdsonofthesouth said:

Awesome thanks for the help! My older (lol) ones should be putting new leaves soon I hope as most have had 2 good leaves for a little while now. I have some 18in pots that I would love to try and see what happens when I put boys and girls together. Ill call it my swinger pots lol.

Maybe a clump, later into a bigger pot.

I think MD might be a bit cold but, who knows?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Maybe a clump, later into a bigger pot.

I think MD might be a bit cold but, who knows?

Right now we are dealing with a cold front and are at or just above freezing. I will be trying a few of these in the ground and in a more protected place. Im switching my garden around this spring and swapping the old setup to just yuccas and more cold hardy palms, and moving my trucking/zone pushing to the other side of the house for a MUCH better microclimate.

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 25.01.2018, 04:44:11, Fusca said:

Here are 3 of mine - I suspect that the one on the left is one of the "trunking" types and the one to the right is a "non-trunking" type since they emerged at the same time.  Too early to tell what the new one in the front is yet.  I've kept these outside and probably should keep it inside because they haven't moved much lately!

Jon

Chamaedorea radicalis 001.JPG

@Fusca What is this substrate?

3 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Fusca What is this substrate?

It's a basic potting mix combined with some extra perlite for better drainage.  Lots of hardwood mulch on top to keep it moist longer.  :)

I since have added a fourth sprout but overall not a very good germination rate yet, but we are getting high spring temperatures now so that might change.  I didn't use any bottom heat since my heating pad is covered with other seeds!  

Jon

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...

Still growing but seemed to have slowed. Might do a folier spray on the larger with organic sea kelp. What do yall think?20180412_064627.thumb.jpg.2e2160a0fe69b8

Oh guys, in case you didn't know, you can't tell if it is trunking or not by the length of the first stalk.

A friend of mine had a heap of radicalis under 2' for 12 yrs, then they all grew like a beanstalks.

Consequently he reckons that trunking or non trunking is just a matter of time.

Well son, I think that you will have a whole bunch of those suckers it doesn't matter what you do. :-)  

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

As long as they are healthy doesnt matter which ones I get. 

• 1 month later...

Not even 6 months from the time Dave sent me seeds and the first palm is putting off its second frond! Going to pot most of them up soon as others are starting their second as well.20180528_091923.thumb.jpg.165ddce5ab2c4c

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

@DoomsDave here is the palm I gave my grandma last week, she might take to her Florida home unless I convince her to plant it here in the DMV!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

I doubt they will survive MD, but here are some of mine that took 16F last winter unprotected & are still seeding.

20180826_175423.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As with all my palms it's an experiment to see what I can do. I wont be putting mine in the ground til 2020 or until they become more robust.

• 2 years later...
On 8/26/2018 at 5:56 PM, Laaz said:

I doubt they will survive MD, but here are some of mine that took 16F last winter unprotected & are still seeding.

20180826_175423.jpg

for 16 they look great

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

So I got some seeds from @DoomsDave a year ago. I didn't get anything in the baggie method, ended up pitching them in a pot with some dirt. Come this past fall I noticed a couple had sprouted and I actually initially thought they were some sabals that I had also pitched in a pot.  Well low and behold they are growing and looking really good. I need to get some more from Dave. What a great small palm!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RJ said:

So I got some seeds from @DoomsDave a year ago. I didn't get anything in the baggie method, ended up pitching them in a pot with some dirt. Come this past fall I noticed a couple had sprouted and I actually initially thought they were some sabals that I had also pitched in a pot.  Well low and behold they are growing and looking really good. I need to get some more from Dave. What a great small palm!

I've had the same experience with other Chamaedorea as well.  Had a bunch of Chamaedorea costaricana seeds.  Tried them in the germination station for 6 months and got nothing.  Tossed them in the bone pile, come out another 6 months later to a few weird looking shoots sticking out.  When I gently dug them out, I recognized the seeds right away.  Kept one for spring planting.  A year for germination, but worth the wait.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F