IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamadorea radicalis trying from seed!

mdsonofthesouth

DoomsDave sent me some seeds and im germinting(or attempting to) Chamadorea radicalis in my bedroom. Soaked the seeds for a few days and planted not long ago. Now its watering and waiting lol!

House is low 70s so might be slow going, might invest in a warming pad.

20171206_205058.thumb.jpg.209be0877e7faa20171212_174853.thumb.jpg.8eb1bcc6ff3dd8

• Upvote 2

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Low 70s is quite cool.  I typically toss the seeds into a zip-loc baggie filled with damp (not soaking wet) seed-starting medium, place them on top of the water heater, and cover them with an old tee-shirt.  That keeps them around 90F, and I get pretty good germination rates.  I'll move the baggie into the light when they start pushing up through the soil.

• Upvote 1

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Did some research and they seem to think 70 to 90 is the sweet spot range. Ill likely get a warming pad then to help them out. This is my first time germinating palms so mistakes will be made lol. But I'll get through it! Just happy for the learning opportunity :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

How deep are those little planters? Palms put down long radicles. You need containers at least 5-6" deep. Styrofoam cups with drainage holes work. Also, I agree, more heat.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

They are like 4.5 and were all I had available. The warming pad will be in soon, and I was planning on potting them up before the root gets too deep. 

Heating pad is working great!20171218_205846.thumb.jpg.c005b3b0854aba

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That'll get the job done.  Radicalis put out roots slowly and not really that deep so you won't have an issue with those pots unless the medium gets dry on the bottom from the heating pad, which will then burn the roots.  

• Upvote 1

I sprinkle a little water when the top isnt wet, but "lightly damp" Its a potting type soil so water goes right to the bottom easy. Hopefully I soaked them long enough and have good enough conditions to have them grow. Would love to have 1 as an indoor only plant and plant a few in my garden to test them at different locations. My house is weird and seems to have several microclimates like the eastern side of the house where the soil never seems to freezes, wish I could use that side but the wife said thats where she wants to put the addition in a few years so Im not about to plant things and get attached only for them to die when transplanted.

Anyone have a better way to water something like this than pouring water which disturbs the soil surface a little? 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

@mdsonofthesouth You can try using a spray bottle and misting it until it is damp.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I just put mine in a pot full of regular potting soil and up they came, but it took about a month.

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@mdsonofthesouth You can try using a spray bottle and misting it until it is damp.

Ill give that a try and see if it permeates the soil deep enough. 

3 hours ago, _Keith said:

I just put mine in a pot full of regular potting soil and up they came, but it took about a month.

I plan on potting them up eventually, but I hope they only take a month. I have heard some seeds may take 6+ months to germinate!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017, 10:28:12, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ill give that a try and see if it permeates the soil deep enough. 

I plan on potting them up eventually, but I hope they only take a month. I have heard some seeds may take 6+ months to germinate!

Give me some heat, as in heat matt, or something.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I did what Keith did, but mine took almost 3 months.  I've got 6 germinated so far out of 30+, but I'm sure I'll get more come spring.  Like someone else here I got at least one "non-trunking" type along with the trunking type.  :)

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

They've been on a heat mat that claims 10f to 20f degree raise in temps. My house keeps a stable 70f almost all year.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news or am I seeing a mirage!?!? Lol

20180124_145340.thumb.jpg.28cd8fded7b1b9

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Good news or am I seeing a mirage!?!? Lol

Good news :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

51 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Good news :)

Haha thats good then! Pretty cool little hook on the top!

Hi,

congrats. The seeds from Dave are really viable. Have some C. radicalis too and wait for new seeds. I love Chamaedoreas.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

3 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi,

congrats. The seeds from Dave are really viable. Have some C. radicalis too and wait for new seeds. I love Chamaedoreas.

Eckhard

Thanks! Yeah this is the first time I have done this for palms. Grown vegies and other crops but never a palm. Very excited!

• Upvote 1

Here are 3 of mine - I suspect that the one on the left is one of the "trunking" types and the one to the right is a "non-trunking" type since they emerged at the same time.  Too early to tell what the new one in the front is yet.  I've kept these outside and probably should keep it inside because they haven't moved much lately!

Jon

Chamaedorea radicalis 001.JPG

• Upvote 5

Jon Sunder

Very cool! Im a long way off from that. 

I planted my DD radicalis seeds last week. I kept the pot covered with clear wrap and just checked on them last night. MOLDY! I should have let them breathe sooner. 

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Yeah the top to my cells has 3 vents that I "crack" so it doesnt get too "stuffy" in there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some new growth!

20180209_225641.thumb.jpg.f1621fb97ed2f3

This one is putting off its first true leaf!

20180209_225634.thumb.jpg.e63fdc813adaed

What a difference a day makes at this point. So cool seeing these grow out and almost makes me feel bad that some of these will be tested outside....almost! Most will be babied for seeds lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

B)

20180211_195451.thumb.jpg.e4766bf1b9d8b8

• Upvote 1

B)

20180211_195451.thumb.jpg.e4766bf1b9d8b8

Oh and the 4th one just broke out! 

• Upvote 1

Hi Andrew,

looks fine. You will se there are more to come up soon. I received a second set of seeds from Dave and I'm excited when they will show up. What are your minimum temps outside? Heard it should be some kind of cold resistant.

Eckhard

1 hour ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Andrew,

looks fine. You will se there are more to come up soon. I received a second set of seeds from Dave and I'm excited when they will show up. What are your minimum temps outside? Heard it should be some kind of cold resistant.

Eckhard

Thanks! Our minimums can get down to around 5f (2012 was the last time we saw 5F, before that I many years...) but its EXTREMELY rare to go bellow 15F and during normal winters the absolute lows are short lived. This year however proved that can change....

Ill be nursing these seeds until I have potted up every cell. Also dont know why it double posted, must be another glitch in the matrix. 

I think 5f might be too much for the Chamaedorea radicalis without good protection.

Will try one here too as normally our coldest standard temps are around 15f to 17f. But I'll plan to protect it and to plant it into a protected area too.

Keep us updated.

Eckhard

Will do! Its getting and ideal setting and like I said its rare to see single digit temps. I will surely test it out though to see how it does.

• 2 weeks later...

1519420703862685436309.thumb.jpg.86c2351

Just over 2 months after put in the dirt and this one is looking good! I have 2 more in the left hand side that are starting their first fronds too. 6 total germinated so far and I couldnt be happier! Would be awesome to have a specimen to put in the ground next spring  or spring 2020 at latest to test and see their hardiness. Will get the best microclimate I have. 

Keep the cats away!

They'll think it's grass . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/12/2017, 2:57:17, mdsonofthesouth said:

DoomsDave sent me some seeds and im germinting(or attempting to) Chamadorea radicalis in my bedroom. Soaked the seeds for a few days and planted not long ago. Now its watering and waiting lol!

House is low 70s so might be slow going, might invest in a warming pad.

20171206_205058.thumb.jpg.209be0877e7faa20171212_174853.thumb.jpg.8eb1bcc6ff3dd8

Good on ya mate!

I'd just put all in a community pot 6" across, but pampering won't hurt.

Temps should be about 80 F, for best germ.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Keep the cats away!

They'll think it's grass . . . .

Haha no cats here! But funny you mention that as my grandma took out some sabal minor seedlings when she was weeding her garden in Leesburg. She wanted to bring them to me, but her cats had other ideas. She had 3 left after the drive home and I tried nursing them back but 1 died within a week, the second died 3 months later and the last one just died almost a year after I got it. I tried so hard but the cats mangled them too badly. Oh well maybe next time!

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Good on ya mate!

I'd just put all in a community pot 6" across, but pampering won't hurt.

Temps should be about 80 F, for best germ.

We keep the house at 68 to 72F range and the mat adds about 10 to 20, but its HOT and HUMID under the dome all the time. 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Haha no cats here! But funny you mention that as my grandma took out some sabal minor seedlings when she was weeding her garden in Leesburg. She wanted to bring them to me, but her cats had other ideas. She had 3 left after the drive home and I tried nursing them back but 1 died within a week, the second died 3 months later and the last one just died almost a year after I got it. I tried so hard but the cats mangled them too badly. Oh well maybe next time!

We keep the house at 68 to 72F range and the mat adds about 10 to 20, but its HOT and HUMID under the dome all the time. 

hOtter is better

I might have to put a sensor in and see what the actual temperature is. That or get a thermometer.

• 4 weeks later...

When should I remove these from the "incubator" and pot them up? Should I pair them/clump or single plant per pot? I have a good mess of small pots planned for nusing these along as they pop up. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

When should I remove these from the "incubator" and pot them up? Should I pair them/clump or single plant per pot? I have a good mess of small pots planned for nusing these along as they pop up. Thanks!

I'd give each one a gallon pot when they get about 3 - 4 leaves. Once they start to go pinnate, maybe put them in fives, where they can stay for life. When you find out who the boys and girls are, maybe put two girls and a boy in a 10 - 15 gallon tub and let the fun begin!

• Like 1