Chamadorea radicalis trying from seed!

32 posts in this topic

DoomsDave sent me some seeds and im germinting(or attempting to) Chamadorea radicalis in my bedroom. Soaked the seeds for a few days and planted not long ago. Now its watering and waiting lol!

House is low 70s so might be slow going, might invest in a warming pad.

20171206_205058.thumb.jpg.209be0877e7faa20171212_174853.thumb.jpg.8eb1bcc6ff3dd8

Low 70s is quite cool.  I typically toss the seeds into a zip-loc baggie filled with damp (not soaking wet) seed-starting medium, place them on top of the water heater, and cover them with an old tee-shirt.  That keeps them around 90F, and I get pretty good germination rates.  I'll move the baggie into the light when they start pushing up through the soil.

Did some research and they seem to think 70 to 90 is the sweet spot range. Ill likely get a warming pad then to help them out. This is my first time germinating palms so mistakes will be made lol. But I'll get through it! Just happy for the learning opportunity :D

70 is not going to cut it. You need to be in the 80s at least. 

How deep are those little planters? Palms put down long radicles. You need containers at least 5-6" deep. Styrofoam cups with drainage holes work. Also, I agree, more heat.

They are like 4.5 and were all I had available. The warming pad will be in soon, and I was planning on potting them up before the root gets too deep. 

Heating pad is working great!20171218_205846.thumb.jpg.c005b3b0854aba

That'll get the job done.  Radicalis put out roots slowly and not really that deep so you won't have an issue with those pots unless the medium gets dry on the bottom from the heating pad, which will then burn the roots.  

I sprinkle a little water when the top isnt wet, but "lightly damp" Its a potting type soil so water goes right to the bottom easy. Hopefully I soaked them long enough and have good enough conditions to have them grow. Would love to have 1 as an indoor only plant and plant a few in my garden to test them at different locations. My house is weird and seems to have several microclimates like the eastern side of the house where the soil never seems to freezes, wish I could use that side but the wife said thats where she wants to put the addition in a few years so Im not about to plant things and get attached only for them to die when transplanted.

Anyone have a better way to water something like this than pouring water which disturbs the soil surface a little? 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

@mdsonofthesouth You can try using a spray bottle and misting it until it is damp.

I just put mine in a pot full of regular potting soil and up they came, but it took about a month.

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@mdsonofthesouth You can try using a spray bottle and misting it until it is damp.

Ill give that a try and see if it permeates the soil deep enough. 

3 hours ago, _Keith said:

I just put mine in a pot full of regular potting soil and up they came, but it took about a month.

I plan on potting them up eventually, but I hope they only take a month. I have heard some seeds may take 6+ months to germinate!

On 12/21/2017, 10:28:12, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ill give that a try and see if it permeates the soil deep enough. 

I plan on potting them up eventually, but I hope they only take a month. I have heard some seeds may take 6+ months to germinate!

Give me some heat, as in heat matt, or something.

Set them on top of a cable box.

I did what Keith did, but mine took almost 3 months.  I've got 6 germinated so far out of 30+, but I'm sure I'll get more come spring.  Like someone else here I got at least one "non-trunking" type along with the trunking type.  :)

Jon

They've been on a heat mat that claims 10f to 20f degree raise in temps. My house keeps a stable 70f almost all year.

Good news or am I seeing a mirage!?!? Lol

20180124_145340.thumb.jpg.28cd8fded7b1b9

4 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Good news or am I seeing a mirage!?!? Lol

Good news :)

51 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Good news :)

Haha thats good then! Pretty cool little hook on the top!

Hi,

congrats. The seeds from Dave are really viable. Have some C. radicalis too and wait for new seeds. I love Chamaedoreas.

Eckhard

3 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi,

congrats. The seeds from Dave are really viable. Have some C. radicalis too and wait for new seeds. I love Chamaedoreas.

Eckhard

Thanks! Yeah this is the first time I have done this for palms. Grown vegies and other crops but never a palm. Very excited!

Here are 3 of mine - I suspect that the one on the left is one of the "trunking" types and the one to the right is a "non-trunking" type since they emerged at the same time.  Too early to tell what the new one in the front is yet.  I've kept these outside and probably should keep it inside because they haven't moved much lately!

Jon

Chamaedorea radicalis 001.JPG

Very cool! Im a long way off from that. 

I planted my DD radicalis seeds last week. I kept the pot covered with clear wrap and just checked on them last night. MOLDY! I should have let them breathe sooner. 

Yeah the top to my cells has 3 vents that I "crack" so it doesnt get too "stuffy" in there. 

Some new growth!

20180209_225641.thumb.jpg.f1621fb97ed2f3

This one is putting off its first true leaf!

20180209_225634.thumb.jpg.e63fdc813adaed

What a difference a day makes at this point. So cool seeing these grow out and almost makes me feel bad that some of these will be tested outside....almost! Most will be babied for seeds lol.

B)

20180211_195451.thumb.jpg.e4766bf1b9d8b8

B)

20180211_195451.thumb.jpg.e4766bf1b9d8b8

Oh and the 4th one just broke out! 

Hi Andrew,

looks fine. You will se there are more to come up soon. I received a second set of seeds from Dave and I'm excited when they will show up. What are your minimum temps outside? Heard it should be some kind of cold resistant.

Eckhard

1 hour ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Andrew,

looks fine. You will se there are more to come up soon. I received a second set of seeds from Dave and I'm excited when they will show up. What are your minimum temps outside? Heard it should be some kind of cold resistant.

Eckhard

Thanks! Our minimums can get down to around 5f (2012 was the last time we saw 5F, before that I many years...) but its EXTREMELY rare to go bellow 15F and during normal winters the absolute lows are short lived. This year however proved that can change....

Ill be nursing these seeds until I have potted up every cell. Also dont know why it double posted, must be another glitch in the matrix. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

I think 5f might be too much for the Chamaedorea radicalis without good protection.

Will try one here too as normally our coldest standard temps are around 15f to 17f. But I'll plan to protect it and to plant it into a protected area too.

Keep us updated.

Eckhard

Will do! Its getting and ideal setting and like I said its rare to see single digit temps. I will surely test it out though to see how it does.