Areca vestiaria at the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C.

6 posts in this topic

A few pictures of a potted Areca vestiaria at the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C.  These are from 2013, so not sure whether they are still there.  Gotta love these! :)

A.vestiaria.20130108-01.jpg

A.vestiaria.20130108-02.jpg

Both forms have got to be one of my all-time favorite palm species! :wub:

Oh man those look good!

Awesome. I love these a. Vestiarias. 

Thats awesome! I went to this Botanical Garden in 2013 as well, now Im gonna search my pictures to see if I saw this too!

So I totally saw it! But realised this is from 2012.

pDSC_1471.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• C. adscendens for A. vestiaria (seed trade)
      By tjwalters
      Looking to trade a few fresh Chamaedorea adscendens seed for a few Areca vestiaria seed.  Anyone interested?
      -t
    • Northern California: Areca vestiaria in unheated sunroom
      By Hillizard
      I got this Areca vestiaria years ago as a germinated seed from RPS. It's the only one of a group that's thrived. It's always been indoors in a room that only gets morning light/heat (i.e., my sunroom faces east). Some of the offshoots from the main stem declined and I've had to spray for scale now and then, but otherwise it's done OK under a relatively low-humidity, shady, highly variable temperature regime. It's my suspicion, beyond mere acclimation, that success with certain palm genera under less than ideal [challenging?] growing conditions may be dependent on the specific genetics of an individual palm. 

• Stilts question
      By Cindy Adair
      Sharp eyes may have noticed this Areca vestiaria in my Verschaffeltia line up. This ready to be planted clump was a recent generous gift and deserves to be liberated immediately and stretch its roots, don't you think?
      It has been in this spot more than a week and seems to be responding well to the light level and I am in a planting mode.
      I usually try to plant out potted plants into the ground at exactly the same soil depth as they were in the pot. However with this one I am not sure.
      Other A.vestiarias I planted tiny are now much bigger and have shown no stilt formation.
      Is this a reaction to the pot, like reaching for better conditions? 
      Basically do I plant it even slightly deeper or not?
      Thanks!

• Areca Vestiaria soil mix
      By maxum2610
      I need to repot three Areca Vestiaria seedling soon, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on a good soil mix for these?
    • Areca vestiaria in SBG
      By doranakandawatta
      I wonder if IPS Biennal visitors will post some pics of their palmy journey. ( It seems to me I have seen very few)
      in Singapore Botanic Gardens I noticed these Areca Vestiaria... Nice bench