IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC JANUARY 20, 2018 BANQUET

DoomsDave

We are pleased to announce our annual banquet on January 20, 2018 at Sherman Gardens in Corona del Mar, centrally located along the California Riviera.

2647 East Pacific Coast Highway Corona del Mar, CA 92625

http://www.slgardens.org/.

Our guest speaker will be Jeff Marcus, presenting BACKYARD CONSERVATION: EVERY GARDEN COUNTS!

Jeff  will discuss the vital role that all PSSC members can play in ensuring the survival of the rare palms we love so much. Rare palms are becoming rarer in habitat; political instability, rape of native landscapes for monocultural plantations, and even well-intentioned actions by governments and others by restricting commerce in palms is causing the world's palm flora to shrink.

Jeff will explain, with photographs, how you, as PSSC members, can make a difference, even if you have a postage-stamp lot. The rare Dypsis, New Caledonians, and others that go to seed can be something of a Noah's ark for palms that might be reduced or even face extinction in habitat. Jeff had many people send him seed from rare palms which they harvested in Southern California and elsewhere, which he was able to grow.

Even if you don't have a meglamaniamansion on multiple acres, your Southern California garden (or one in a like climate) matters. While large botanical gardens certainly play a role, individuals who care can -- indeed, must -- play a bigger one.

Cost is $50 until January 7, 2018; on January 8, 2018 the cost will increase to $60. Our caterers ask for an early headcount of attendees for more efficient service.

This is expected to be a well-attended event that could sell out. If you want to attend you are urged to submit payments early.

PLEASE SUBMIT PAYMENT BY CHECK TO:

David Bleistein

PO Box 6

La Habra, CA 90633-0006

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Dave at 323-481-5071 or dbleistein@rosen-law.com.

YOU CAN ALSO PAY USING PAYPAL, CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW

http://palmssc.org/psscs-january-2018-banquet/

dave

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/11/2017, 3:43:27, DoomsDave said:

We are pleased to announce our annual banquet on January 20, 2018 at Sherman Gardens in Corona del Mar, centrally located along the California Riviera.

2647 East Pacific Coast Highway Corona del Mar, CA 92625

http://www.slgardens.org/.

Our guest speaker will be Jeff Marcus, presenting BACKYARD CONSERVATION: EVERY GARDEN COUNTS!

Jeff  will discuss the vital role that all PSSC members can play in ensuring the survival of the rare palms we love so much. Rare palms are becoming rarer in habitat; political instability, rape of native landscapes for monocultural plantations, and even well-intentioned actions by governments and others by restricting commerce in palms is causing the world's palm flora to shrink.

Jeff will explain, with photographs, how you, as PSSC members, can make a difference, even if you have a postage-stamp lot. The rare Dypsis, New Caledonians, and others that go to seed can be something of a Noah's ark for palms that might be reduced or even face extinction in habitat. Jeff had many people send him seed from rare palms which they harvested in Southern California and elsewhere, which he was able to grow.

Even if you don't have a meglamaniamansion on multiple acres, your Southern California garden (or one in a like climate) matters. While large botanical gardens certainly play a role, individuals who care can -- indeed, must -- play a bigger one.

Cost is $50 until January 7, 2018; on January 8, 2018 the cost will increase to $60. Our caterers ask for an early headcount of attendees for more efficient service.

This is expected to be a well-attended event that could sell out. If you want to attend you are urged to submit payments early.

PLEASE SUBMIT PAYMENT BY CHECK TO:

David Bleistein

PO Box 6

La Habra, CA 90633-0006

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Dave at 323-481-5071 or dbleistein@rosen-law.com.

YOU CAN ALSO PAY USING PAYPAL, CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW

http://palmssc.org/psscs-january-2018-banquet/

dave

Dave, what time is the event?

ITINTERARY

9:00 a.m. PSSC BOARD MEETING (all welcome to attend)

10:00 a.m. GARDEN TOURS

11:00 a.m. LUNCH!

12:30 p.m. PRESENTATION BY JEFF MARCUS

1:30 p.m. PLANT AUCTION

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

sounds fun!!

will there be a full bar at this event Dave??:o

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

All paid up, so I am in!

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

sounds fun!!

will there be a full bar at this event Dave??:o

Thanks!

YO YO YO, how about the rest of you? Represent . . . . .

Full bar? What's that? For ballerinas to pose at? :winkie:

Hippo ballerina statue

• Upvote 2

On 12/18/2017, 6:29:23, DoomsDave said:

Thanks!

YO YO YO, how about the rest of you? Represent . . . . .

Full bar? What's that? For ballerinas to pose at? :winkie:

hahahah

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have heard, attendance should be over 100 people!!

Now that's a meeting DD.

We've sold 100 spots, before the price went from $50 to $60.

THE BANQUET IS SOLD OUT

THANKS TO ALL WHO SIGNED UP AND SUPPORTED

WAIT'LL YOU SEE WHO WE'RE GETTING NEXT YEAR!

yup got all 1,000 emails you sent this last 3 weeks :floor:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

yup got all 1,000 emails you sent this last 3 weeks :floor:

You're exaggerating just a little, don't you think?

But they did work, you did sign up!

And @Palm Tree Jim, too!

This will be a fun Saturday.

On 1/16/2018, 9:11:35, DoomsDave said:

You're exaggerating just a little, don't you think?

But they did work, you did sign up!

And @Palm Tree Jim, too!

This will be a fun Saturday.

oooh yeah!!!

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, Josh-O said:

oooh yeah!!!

Drooling on my keyboard with excitement.

Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish [etc]

Paypal says I paid on Jan. 4th.. can't find a confirmation email... but I'm showing up. :D Assuming I'm good.... 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks to all who came, donated and bid on the auction plants!

The Pssc raised a total of $3,555.90!

Because of some generous 100% donors (including but not limited to @elHoagie), we netted out $2,105!

Obscenities have been duly screamed.

• Upvote 1

There weren't any ballerinas, alas.

Maybe next time. Maybe even with tusks.