IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Offsets on mutant Chamaerops?

DoomsDave

Just dug up this mutant Chamaerops I got from the late Dick Douglas.

Looks like it has offsets that can be separated and planted.

Anyone have experience in this regard?

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If you can get the offset off with at least one root and use rooting hormone you will have a low mortality rate. I haven't had great luck rooting a sucker of chamaerops without at least a small piece of root. 

• Upvote 1

I've wondered the same thing.  I've read before what has been suggested, but the suckers on the last Chamaerops I had were fairly high up (above soil line) and didn't have any roots.  Maybe this was just too young to try and root?  If I had attempted to get a root I would have had to cut some of the trunk of the mother plant.  Is that what needs to be done?

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

13 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I've wondered the same thing.  I've read before what has been suggested, but the suckers on the last Chamaerops I had were fairly high up (above soil line) and didn't have any roots.  Maybe this was just too young to try and root?  If I had attempted to get a root I would have had to cut some of the trunk of the mother plant.  Is that what needs to be done?

Jon

Thats too young. You just about need one with a 1liter bottle size trunk.  

• Upvote 1

Here's one, nice roots lots of leaves.

6CD69FBB-1668-4340-B235-EC9E4590F0C7.jpeg

Here's a cluster of them, give a good, firm, steady tug and off they come.

But they have to be mature; if not the base with the roots breaks off. (How do you think I know? :rant:)

C22F1CAC-B223-4449-B45A-897FF19FB2DC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

PICTURES ARE NOT POSTING TO THIS SITE

19 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Thats too young. You just about need one with a 1liter bottle size trunk.  

Thanks Joseph.  I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Jon Sunder

Still no pics

Scream 

Pictures uploaded

F8B91C4F-C243-427D-9C17-318F1BF4D66A.thuB82479FE-4081-44A9-854D-DD11FA01CFB0.thu

• Upvote 4

2E2828FB-65ED-4E27-8A73-5E78E5D0D6E6.thu0A992E44-4962-485D-A1E4-19C88D7C85FB.thu1AA0294E-A420-4845-A2EF-1DBD3AA5A29F.thu

• Upvote 7

Dave, if that's the mutant Chamaerops I'm thinking about, do try to preserve it if possible. I remember Dick Douglas posting photos of his mother palm - very odd looking and many people thought it was ugly. But I thought it was cool and worthy of cultivation. When Dick passed away I believe some of his palm's offspring went to important gardens for preservation.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's Dick Douglas' mutant, yes indeed.

It's true to seed, and when the seeds come, I'll make some available (though not as a freebie).

Here are two photos of Dick Douglas' original plant.  I believe there is an old thread where Dick discusses his plant.  From memory I recall that he found it as an outlier appearance among many siblings in a nursery in the Southeast.  This clone is self-fertile, and the seeds come true to the parent.

After I had known Dick for a good period he offered me a small example of this palm.  I don't care for the appearance, and it was rather a sticky situation to decline in a gracious manner !  :mrlooney:

Chamerops, mutant D. Douglas (Medium).JPG

Chamerops, mutant D. Doulas #2 (Medium).JPG

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

Here’s the big plant

0C7D6BE0-B278-4243-A879-4FB14F01DDC9.thu7C8165C2-CC15-4B69-88F2-9C8F50D73582.thu

• Upvote 2

Here’s the babies in the greenhouse 

00D18E40-82BD-40DC-B96B-9A003D2A5BDD.thuFFCD89B4-F08C-4341-9AD3-D09607471339.thu

• Upvote 2

Dave, that is an interesting plant there, but I agree with Darold - not so crazy about the appearance.  I was given a similar looking Chamaerops once, but I think mine was just sickly because the main trunk had died and only 4 or 5 suckers were still alive.  But the fan leaves (appearing to not open all the way) were very similar to these.

Jon

Jon Sunder

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

It's Dick Douglas' mutant, yes indeed.

It's true to seed, and when the seeds come, I'll make some available (though not as a freebie).

Yay! Guess I have a weakness for homely, scorned palms. When people spat on the Gaussia genus I had to try it (G. spirituana where are you?). I even tried Syagrus glaucescens but it hated my FL swelter, declined then died. Oh well.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 12/12/2017, 7:50:34, DoomsDave said:

Pictures uploaded

F8B91C4F-C243-427D-9C17-318F1BF4D66A.thuB82479FE-4081-44A9-854D-DD11FA01CFB0.thu

Dave, did you use a sharp-shooter shovel to remove these?  It looks like you did a great job!  Also, I assume the roots were underground and not visible prior to separating - is that right?  I'm hoping to try this again soon.  I've only tried once and failed to get a root and the offset was roughly the size of yours.

Jon.

Jon Sunder

11 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Dave, did you use a sharp-shooter shovel to remove these?  It looks like you did a great job!  Also, I assume the roots were underground and not visible prior to separating - is that right?  I'm hoping to try this again soon.  I've only tried once and failed to get a root and the offset was roughly the size of yours.

Jon.

I grabbed and pulled most of them off; I used a sharp kitchen knife for the others.

Roots not visible from the surface.

Hoping they grow and set lots of seeds for the homely palm lovers out there in palm land.

• Upvote 1

Awesome, so not too much work involved!  I was wondering why I didn't see any cut marks on your offsets so pulling by hand is definitely the way to go if possible.  Hopefully I'll have a similar experience this time.  I'm sure your offsets will do great since I see so many roots - thanks for the info!

Jon

Jon Sunder