IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia beccariana leaf spotting

Tracy

My pritchardia beccariana is treated similar relative to nutrients and water as my other pritchardias, however it has always been prone to yellow leaf spots and recently showing some damage running down the center of the fan leaves.  I feed with a slow release fertilizer with micros quarterly.  New leaves open flawlessly, and it never has hurt its growth, but anything but the newest leaves always look a little less than desirable.  Any thoughts on what is going on and how to keep the retained leaves to keep up there uniform green longer?  Are beccariana's more prone to leaf spotting than other pritchardias?  The last question would be even more pertinent for those living in my same climate area of Southern California.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts. 

20171209-104A7989.jpg

20171209-104A7990.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy,  

I've seen this as well, especially on beccariana for some reason. There's one next door that is beginning to fruit, grows like crazy, and has that same spotted look on the older leaves. Probably at least as bad as yours. But none of the other species seem to have that issue as much as that beccariana. I never gave it much thought until seeing yours. So, in conclusion, I have no idea what ails them. Ain't I the helpful one? :)

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I had a similar issue with what I bought as Napaliensis: weak new growth, lots of leaf spotting, particularly after winter. I think I've finally got it corrected this past season with some PalmGain and a few applications of the chelated iron. That stuff is miraculous! I'll try to dig out some pictures.

• Upvote 1

Seen this in the wild on P. bakeri at the top of our valley, but it only lasted a few leaves and the new growth is healthy, so it  recovered on its own.

aloha

• Upvote 1

Hi Tracy.  I'm pretty sure you got a potassium deficiency that's progressed into basic sunburn of the yellow areas.  I've been able to fix potassium deficiency in my Pritchardias by using Sul-Po-Mag.  It'll take a year or two for you to see results because it'll only affect the new leaves so basically you'll need to grow a new crown, but it works.  As a side note: I read somewhere that too much magnesium might inhibit potassium uptake and since my rocky soil is supposed to have a lot of magnesium I started using an "ultra bloom" that has potassium in it but no magnesium.  I don't think you'll have to worry about that though.  The key is that neither has nitrogen so you're not going to burn the plants or give them too much N with these products.  I'd continue using your well balanced palm fertilizer and then add the Sul-Po-Mag in addition.

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

Edited by MattyB
  • Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Vielen Dank, merci beaucoup, gracias and thank you Colin, Jim, Mat & Matty!  Great input, and I'll give the SulPoMag an opportunity to work.  Fortunately it isn't a slow growing palm, its chugging right along, so it will be able to grow out of it!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation