IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PseudoPhoenix Ekmanii Palm Re-potting Work_Dec 2017

Kris

Dear Friends,

Since our Pseudophoenix Ekmanii palm was showing signs of dark leaf spots for few months now,its growing in a small sized terracotta pot having washed river sand and blue metal chips(crushed rocks).The palm was not looking healthy and i assumed its due to nutritional deficiencies But when Mr.Bo Goran and Mr.Haresh visited our garden a month back.They suspected that water was not draining freely and the palm needs to be planted in a bigger pot or placed in the ground.As most of the pots were damaged in last years Vardha cyclone so repotting was a necessity but i could not find time to accomplish this task.And this time i did it alone without any assistants.

After removing the palm from that pot in which it was growing for nearly 8 years or so..I noticed the 3 drain holes at the base was not leveled with the ground.But was half an inch slightly above the base of the pot.So the water was stagnating and trying to rot the roots gradually.In the following post you can see those visuals.Hope you enjoy it. All comments are welcome.

Love,

Kris Achar.

Btw. Here's a link,where you can see fine grown up ones :

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Pseudophoenix_ekmanii

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now let's have the visuals...

This palm is growing at our roof top garden,No shade area full blast sun shine and heat.

20171209_103428.thumb.jpg.077977fca8e547

This is the pot in which its going to be repotted.The potting medium is washed river sand and dried leaf mulch prepared around 2 years ago.

20171209_103406.thumb.jpg.1079d519c16675

The Palm roots were too tight to leave that pot easily so had to water it quite often,so that it came out without breaking its roots.

20171209_110034.thumb.jpg.9a8ad66764dff6

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

In this still you can see dark roots in the lower side of the root ball,that is the rot that is affecting this beautiful palm.

20171209_110357.thumb.jpg.49e83be63688c2

The Pot's excess soil was dug and placed in another pot which is placed close by.

20171209_110544.thumb.jpg.22bd7baebbd5b0

Now i mixed neem mulch and seaweed granules to the potting medium 

20171209_110737.thumb.jpg.81b2ca5a84bc23

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I love your updates Kris!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear John and Randy,Thanks and do keep visiting Palmtalk forum regularly..:)

Dear Bill, I know you like my planting work threads and thanks for the encouragement.

Dear Omar,Jim  thanks for visiting this thread.These word of kindness gives me encouragement to do new posts in future.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif