IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow-covered Needle

tjwalters

Im in mount airy and we ended up with just under 4. Roads and driveways never saw accumulation either. No picks for me as mine are all under an "umbrella" so only a few fronds got some. Might I ask where you got your needle? Been looking around for a good sized one to plant here and I can never seem to find any. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

2 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Im in mount airy and we ended up with just under 4. Roads and driveways never saw accumulation either. No picks for me as mine are all under an "umbrella" so only a few fronds got some. Might I ask where you got your needle? Been looking around for a good sized one to plant here and I can never seem to find any. 

I got it as a small seedling at least 25 or more years ago from a small mail-order nursery in Florida called "The Green Escape."  I believe it is no longer in business.  Not sure where, or even if, you could find one this size.  I've seen decent-sized plants for sale in the past, on occasion, but can't recall exactly where.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Oh Im not talking that size, just something in the 3g range. They are just so hard to find as a legit specimen. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

NIce Needle :D ... I bought four this year, all are 3 gallon sized. I guess I'll plant them next spring.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

You can usually get 7 gal's at Home Depot for around $50.,

I wish! All they have here are trachycarpus fortunei, chamerops humilis, and livistona chinenses. The other stuff is all actual tropicals meant for potted life. I just want one thats legit not ripped from nature as they do so well here and IMHO are quite stately!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

I visited ahead of the cold, but here's a thriving needle palm at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, Virginia.  

Rhapidophyllum hystrix at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden (1 of 1).jpg

• Upvote 7

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Your Needle took the snow much better than mine. All fronds except one (and the spear) were bent to the ground. I was hoping I’d get something more picturesque lol.

I bought mine this year from a nursery in Long Island, a 5 gallon-sized (growing in a 2 gallon pot) for $59. I’d never seen them for sale anywhere so I grabbed one without hesitation.

6 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

I visited ahead of the cold, but here's a thriving needle palm at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, Virginia.  

Rhapidophyllum hystrix at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden (1 of 1).jpg

There is a HUGE one in the DC arboretum since the 60's. They are bulletproof in the upper south/midatlantic :D

• Upvote 2