IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red Latan ( Latania Lontaroides germination

Mostapha

KIMG0029.thumb.JPG.2364ff9c866e151eedab8KIMG0028.thumb.JPG.64e69c0ac3c337bf8bce2

Hi, I had just received this past Wenesday, 12/6/17 seeds from the red latan palm (10 purchased on e-bay). I researched before ordering, not really alot of info on germination of this palm. First thing I did, like any other palm seeds, I set them up in warm water, changing twice a day. Today I noticed what appears to be a growth on the rounded side of a couple of the 4 that I set up first, ( I intend on sending 3 to someone for them to try). I attempted to contact the person I got them from with no response. I'm curious if this could be the start of the germination so quickly. I'm including a couple of pics of one of the seeds in hope someone could give me their opinion. 3 of the 4 are starting to show this growth currently. Thanks Mark

• Upvote 2

Hi Mostapha,

I've germinated Latania seeds in seed pots, but never paid too much attention to the process. Usually one gets an eophyl at soil surface in one to two months. I believe that I have observed that the seed petiole emerges from the rounded end of the seed, right where you are observing a developing bulge, so I would guess that you are seeing the beginning of germination. Good luck with them.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks Mike, 

Must be extremely fresh seeds,they are still only soaking in warm water before I plant them. Was going to use tall tree pots but read that they require at least 6 inch pot. But I believe experience speaks wisely. Mark

Mostapha,

I checked pots of three Latania lontaroides germinated from seeds that I received two years ago in Reunion. Germination started in about four months. They all still had the seeds. One had the dry false root going from the rounded bulging end to the base of the plant, so my statement above is proven to my satisfaction. Also, the length of the false root was only about three inches, so a shallower pot would be sufficient. I used a two-gallon pot and had no problems.

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

A dry false root? Interesting. As strange as this may sound I reside in central upstate NY. I germinated all of my palms here at home. From triangle palms(20),becarrniapheonix alfreddii (3), royal palms (25) kentiopsis O (15) of course washingtonians robustra( my first germination) canary island dates..bismarkia. I saw these on e-bay and started researching, and wrote to the seller to gather more info. Unfortunately the later wasn't much help, but fortunately the seeds are very fresh. As I had said I've been soaking them in warm water since wenesday, and while changing the water I noticed the ones soaking are getting this growth. I had read that they can germinate rather quickly I never expected this fast of a beginning. Should be interesting to see what they do next. I plan on putting them in perlite, spaghnum, and sand, in an enclosed container while keeping it about 85-90 F. If you're curious why I germinate so many, is I share them with neighbors and freinds. 

Yes Kris, I have read that article. The Lataniad themselves have a slow to medium growth rate, and do well in containers. As I had said, there isn't too much information on the Latania, but what I was able to locate, I have read.  Still, the information is still much appreciated. Thank You. Mark

15 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Mostapha,

I checked pots of three Latania lontaroides germinated from seeds that I received two years ago in Reunion. Germination started in about four months. They all still had the seeds. One had the dry false root going from the rounded bulging end to the base of the plant, so my statement above is proven to my satisfaction. Also, the length of the false root was only about three inches, so a shallower pot would be sufficient. I used a two-gallon pot and had no problems.

Mike, As I had said a false root is interesting, I had never imagined that, but I would imagine that would hold the seed stationary during the actual root production. I appreciate your bringing that to my attention, read nothing pertaining to that. Usually once I see a root has grown I plant them into a  substrate to disturb the roots as little as possible so they may continue growing. As I had said experience is the best teacher. Thank you for sharing that with me. It must be an awesome striking sight to see these palms in their natural habitat. With everything going on in the world today, one can only imagine how different things would be if more people took time out to "stop and smell the roses". Again, I thank you for taking your time to share your experience with me and any others doing or thinking of growing this beautiful species of palm.Mark

Thanks, Mostapha. But just to be as clear as possible, Latania seed germination is remote-tubular. I suggest reading up on the description.

Mike Merritt

On 12/8/2017, 11:10:02, mike in kurtistown said:

Yes Mike, i had reread that they were remote germination, like the bismarks, dates..etc. I have more showing the same swelling so not to sound cocky, but Im feeling assured that something will happen. I just hope that once it does 

I am able to give them the care they so rightly deserve. You have shared a  great deal of knowledge with me and for that I am most appreciative, I will continue to post any updates here with pics. The beccarniopheonix alfredii have a similar type of swelling before putting out their first roots except the sprout followed from the seed itself. That seems to be a very fast grower for me here, this coming spring I am looking to putting them in their pots outside, currently ( about 10 months) they range from 8-14 inches, with 5-7 strap leaves. Just need to keep track of iron deficiencies. They have faded out a bit with the shorter sunlite days of winter, but Spring is coming. But that is another subject.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

After approx 4 months I have germination. So far 6 of the 10 seeds, but new ones seem to start showing about every other day. Great timing too, just the beginning of spring here, now just waiting for spring weather. 

Well here is a pic of the first seed to germinate. The root is about 1.5-2" long, now potting them up separately. 

I want to thank " mike in kurtistown"and "Kris'"who read this post and gave great information with me. Sharing your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Will post a pic after I get top growth.

Thanks again, Mark1522173524171355521779.thumb.jpg.03dba2d

• Upvote 4

Good luck, hope they do well for you. Happened to pick up a couple Latania recently and just amazed how beautiful they are.

Here is a photo. 

Tim

P1050229.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thank you, I hope they do well myself. I was starting to have my doubts about the seed. I've been watching them for moisture and saw nothing, then all at once I saw some white, thinking at first mold, but sure enough it was the tube root, since others have been popping like crazy. 6 out of 10 not bad, but not giving up. A few more days may have more, maybe all 10.

Don't know what I would do with 10, but I'll figure it out.

Would be nice to see them looking as nice as yours does.

Thanks , Mark

Good luck with them. One of my prize palms. 

9146709F-A85C-47E3-BA13-896875459DF8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Beautiful Steve! I've heard that they are slow, What's your take?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

17 minutes ago, realarch said:

Beautiful Steve! I've heard that they are slow, What's your take?

Tim

Not fast. I get about 4 leaves a year.  In my climate I’m just happy it grows. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

The reds are a wee bit more cold tolerant than the blues, IMO. Steve is on the cusp for a zone push with his. Mine survived when we had the anomaly month with prolong lows in the 40's. It also was trunking at the time  with surrounding canopy. They look their best as youngsters.

• Like 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

16 hours ago, Moose said:

The reds are a wee bit more cold tolerant than the blues, IMO. Steve is on the cusp for a zone push with his. Mine survived when we had the anomaly month with prolong lows in the 40's. It also was trunking at the time  with surrounding canopy. They look their best as youngsters.

Yep. Ive only had mine for 2 years and both have been mild. I dont know if it will be a long term palm or not but like you said they look thee best when young. It under a jacaranda and parajubea and close to the street so Im hoping that will be enough protection. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 1 month later...

First leaf on my Latania lontaroides, seed came from Florida, it took almost a half of the year to show this beautiful leaf. I'm so proud of it :D

Please send here yours, happy growing palm lovers! :)IMG_20180505_204034.thumb.jpg.903f8dee9d

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

WasHi, I should have posted this sooner. This is about a month or so after the tube root first appeared on my red latan. All 10 seem to be doing very well, I know they should be potted into something larger but that will come soon.

Beautiful first frond GrumpyGrower. I waited about 3 months for first sign of any root. Actually thought perhaps they weren't going to do anything, then notice something white in the container I germinated in. At first thought it was mold but sure enough it was the first one sprouting, after that it seemed ever day or two there was others that followed, the tube roots took off, making it all worth it.

Mark1528046392588856545301.thumb.jpg.c44dc15

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 years later...