IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill palm sos help

Rickybobby

Help so I really hope I didn’t kill my trachycarpus fortunei all of a sudden after a couple days my tree on the far right. The fronds have folded in half  of you see the windmill on far left is lush and full   Watered both a week ago the same except. Stupid me had a bunch of ants in the one in question I gave them a shot of raid. Was that tha dumbest thing ever? I care for these trees so much. Bought all nice lights and do nothing but care and read up on them

9AE27FAD-715A-44A5-831C-AAD6D6107024.jpeg

423625F1-2394-43C0-9722-18195F26ADD4.jpeg

When I watered them did a complete flush and let them drain then back to their spot. Was a month between watering because the moisture gauge and my finger said there was still moisture. My guess of panicking tonight and doing another flush was a bad idea?

Looks fine to me, but I cant see it up close. Heres one of my little trachycarpus and as you can see the fronds flop. This is a very health specimen that grew a ton and rooted early in the season. So long as the color is looking good I wouldnt worry too much. Just try to not over water/feed them. 

windmill pic.jpg

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Roots too wet?   

An old one that I drive by every day (probably 30' tall) is on death's door this year after the ground stayed saturated all spring - the leaflets folded on all leaves and they're drying out and turning brown one at a time - I suspect all the roots rotted out.  I doubt it will survive.

Steve

The folding leaflets aren’t a good sign. They usually do that when they’re desiccated or root rot. Could the raid be the reason? I’m not sure. But keep an eye on it and hopefully it recovers. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

In the future, if/when ants take up residence in one of your potted plants, try using an ant bait to get rid of the entire colony without harming the plant.  We have a plethora of odorous house ants (Tapinoma sessile) in my area, and it appears they are in your area, too.  They occasionally find their way into one or more of my potted plants, and when they do, I use one of the liquid or gel ant baits (available at most hardware stores) to get rid of them.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Thanks tjwalters I think my tree is done. I’m heart broken it was a rookie mistake and I agree with your advice 

luckily I still have a saw palmetto and one more windmill doing great