IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea salvadorensis

Austinpalm

I will be travelling to San Juan del Sur Nicaragua for Christmas this year. I am curious if anyone might know of a place to view this palm species (natural or planted) between Managua and San Juan del Sur. Thanks!

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

I live near Masatepe, Masaya, south of Managua. I never have seen Braheas planted here, and in my personal collection there are no Braheas yet. The only Braheas reported in the Flora of Nicaragua are in the North, near the border to Honduras: http://tropicos.org/Name/2400273?projectid=7

On the way from Managua to San Juan del Sur you might visit the vulcano Mombacho. the cloud forest on top is quite interesting, a lots of Chamaedorea costaricana, and some other shade palms.   And in the city of Catarina there are sold a lot of plants, but just a few palms. 

Enjoy your holidays in Nicaragua!

William

• 4 months later...

Hey Clay, 

The Salvadoran ministry of environmental protection has two mentions of this species in official reports. Here are the two, and they both list B. salvadorensis as a mangrove palm. They're described as growing in pantanos, which means swamps. They describe groves of brahea as pantanos de palma (palm swamps), and they list it growing in habitat was bactris balanoidea (major). They specifically state theres a grove of brahea salvadorensis adjacent to Zanjón del Chino, which is a brackish waterway. There's a photo of that zanjón on page 82 of this report (figure 41).

http://www.marn.gob.sv/descargas/Menu/Temas/Biodiversidad/AreasNaturalesProtegidas/Humedales/Complejo%20Barra%20de%20Santiago.pdf

This second report lists brahea salvadorensis as the dominant species growing at 10 to 25 meters above sea level in Bosque de Esquintla, a seasonally flooded mangrove forests. Also described as growing in habitat with bactris subglobosa. They're both described as "ombrophole, riparian vegetation."

http://www.marn.gob.sv/descargas/Menu/Temas/Biodiversidad/AreasNaturalesProtegidas/Humedales/Complejo%20Jaltepeque.pdf

Palmpedia lists is as growing in dry rocky slopes, and in pine-oak forest regions which are at the extreme north end of the country at 800 m above sea level and above.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

Hey Clay, 

The Salvadoran ministry of environmental protection has two mentions of this species in official reports. Here are the two, and they both list B. salvadorensis as a mangrove palm. They're described as growing in pantanos, which means swamps. They describe groves of brahea as pantanos de palma (palm swamps), and they list it growing in habitat was bactris balanoidea (major). They specifically state theres a grove of brahea salvadorensis adjacent to Zanjón del Chino, which is a brackish waterway. There's a photo of that zanjón on page 82 of this report (figure 41).

http://www.marn.gob.sv/descargas/Menu/Temas/Biodiversidad/AreasNaturalesProtegidas/Humedales/Complejo%20Barra%20de%20Santiago.pdf

This second report lists brahea salvadorensis as the dominant species growing at 10 to 25 meters above sea level in Bosque de Esquintla, a seasonally flooded mangrove forests. Also described as growing in habitat with bactris subglobosa. They're both described as "ombrophole, riparian vegetation."

http://www.marn.gob.sv/descargas/Menu/Temas/Biodiversidad/AreasNaturalesProtegidas/Humedales/Complejo%20Jaltepeque.pdf

Palmpedia lists is as growing in dry rocky slopes, and in pine-oak forest regions which are at the extreme north end of the country at 800 m above sea level and above.

I wonder why there is this inconsistency. Also, I wonder if one or both of these are correct (if it is one, which one is it?).

Not too sure actually. I've never really paid attention much to the native flora of El Salvador. It might have a really wide range if both are true. 

Google satelite views at Jaltepeque show groves of palms, possibly brahea salvadorensis, as described in the report. The GPS coordinates are 13.3149612, -88.9253367. 

Screenshot_20180424-165113_Maps.jpg

• Upvote 1

Also, I think that the primary scope of both reports (and conservation efforts) is the protection of mangrove forests, which include brahea salvadorensis. If the primary scope was to protect brahea salvadorensis, perhaps the reports would be more detailed in regards to brahea. Specifically, range, distribution etc. 

• Upvote 2

been to El Salvador twice. saw tons of the growing about 20 min outside la libertad. The seed is also easy to sprout. If you find seed and the fruit is green they still can sprout. Just make sure the outer shell is rock hard and your golden. If they are soft don't harvest them. They will be under developed and just rot.

have fun!!

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Makes sense,  La Libertad is coastal mangrove habitat (just heavily populated and farmed.) What do you do there? Surf?

23 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

been to El Salvador twice. saw tons of the growing about 20 min outside la libertad. The seed is also easy to sprout. If you find seed and the fruit is green they still can sprout. Just make sure the outer shell is rock hard and your golden. If they are soft don't harvest them. They will be under developed and just rot.

have fun!!