Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ravenea rivularis - clumping how possible ??

5 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I just noticed somthing special on one of my Ravenea, seems that it's a clumping variant, I dont know how it's possible ??? Usally they just plant multiple palms in the same pot !

Pictures below :  

DCl9Ycv.jpg

KsglRyR.jpg

yzDKHWV.jpg

AU5EuzY.jpg

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that palm is clumping.  I think that for one reason or another, the newest spear cannot grow thru the middle of the existing stem and as such is punching out thru the side.  I have seen this in a few of my palms on rare occasions.  Not sure what causes it.  Good luck. 

Yep - that's a dweezle or doinker. Search for either and you will learn how PalmTalk coins new scientific terms.

3 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that palm is clumping.  I think that for one reason or another, the newest spear cannot grow thru the middle of the existing stem and as such is punching out thru the side.  I have seen this in a few of my palms on rare occasions.  Not sure what causes it.  Good luck. 

You probably right, but i hope it's a new baby, we will see.

I'll keep you posted. 

Thanks.

You need to cut above that area as that spear got sideways in there. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Anyone else successfully grow Ravenea rivularis
      By tfinvold
      Anyone get their indoor Majesty palm to grow and open spears into fronds? Thing is I live at 7,000ft in Flagstaff a fairly dry mountain climate so its very dry indoors usually. It is in the kitchen which give it a little more moisture and heat from cooking. After 1 year of the original transplant from the nursery container I had used some cheap organic generic fruit fertilizer I had laying around. It's mostly bone meal and has a good amount of nitrates. At first I was thinking it had low potassium as the leaves were sort of yellow on some fronds but I checked the soil it wasn't too soggy so then I figured it just didn't get enough light and I pretty much left it there in front of the sliding glass door for a while. Nothing happened for months, the about 3 months ago one spear turned into a frond and opened up so then I fertilized it to help it out and put a mirror behind the palm it to help it gather the limited amount of sunlight I have to work with (3-4 hours a day of direct and some shaded sunlight) now three more spears popped open all at once this last week. So I used a little bit more organic fertilizer to keep things going as it contains no chemicals as you can't really over do it on the organic fertilizer.

• Please help
      By comic097
      Hi all, came home from work today and noticed my Ravenea rivularis showing some serious signs of fronds turning brown, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the smallest of the triple planted was very soft in the trunk, now the bigger one is starting to get soft and sounding hollowish, is there something I can drench the base with or is it a goner

so this little fella is about to get pushed over thats how soft the trunk is

so its obviously the bigger trunk to the left with the brown fronds