IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

upload problems

Gonzer

Hey, can we fix the photo upload software that keeps rejecting pictures that are even 50% less than the 8MB limit? This's getting ridiculous!

• Upvote 1

You might post this on the Administration forum to get better attention?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

9 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Hey, can we fix the photo upload software that keeps rejecting pictures that are even 50% less than the 8MB limit? This's getting ridiculous!

Gonz - I wish it was that easy. There are so many variables these days - from tablets and phones to desktops. From Android and iPhone cameras taking odd dimensions and huge files, with different meta data. Different browsers, and different upload techniques from drag and drop, to file browsing, or directly from phone/tablet. Or from camera to computer to PalmTalk. And all this is a moving target, constantly changing.

We had to instigate a software that resizes photos on the fly, during upload - and this is complicated and resource intensive. The new phones and cameras generate such large files these days, they just eat up disk space without this resizing. Of course this is no problem for the FaceBooks of the world who have billions of $ - and display photos of lesser quality than we want to.

Having said all that, I have never had a problem. I batch resize all my photos and upload without problems. We only need photos of 500 KB (or 1/2MB) max. Keep in mind the size limit is per post, not per photo. If you have a photo that will not upload, send it to my email d.ouer@mac.com and let me see it. If I can upload it, then at least I can tell if the problem is on your end. If not, it is with our software, in which case I can take a look at each photo case by case.

But no one will ever tells me details when they have an issue. They say only that the photo won't upload. I can so nothing with that. I need file size, dimension size, device info (phone/tablet/computer, type, OS, upload technique, error message, etc.) Without that, I can be of no help whatsoever.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I'm having trouble again, too.

Pictures that successfully uploaded in the past no longer do. None are anywhere near the upper limit size-wise, maybe about 3MB

I posted some pictures on another website, after uploading them from my iPhone 6, then copied to here.

What further details are required?

It would really be good to get rid of this problem.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave - I just fixed Gonzer's problems and two other users with long term issues - I removed most all size limitations, and any limitations I could. They are stoked their problem is fixed.

"I posted some pictures on another website, after uploading them from my iPhone 6, then copied to here." I have no idea what that means. How do you copy something to here? Why did you upload them to another website first?

Did you try uploading them directly to PalmTalk?

4 minutes ago, PALM MOD said:

Dave - I just fixed Gonzer's problems and two other users with long term issues - I removed most all size limitations, and any limitations I could. They are stoked their problem is fixed.

"I posted some pictures on another website, after uploading them from my iPhone 6, then copied to here." I have no idea what that means. How do you copy something to here? Why did you upload them to another website first?

Did you try uploading them directly to PalmTalk?

Dean, as mentioned in my post, I tried to upload pictures to this site, some of which were uploaded successfully before. They failed, and they have failed just now.

I've tried repeatedly, a dozen times, to upload them, failed each time.

What information in particular, do you require? I'm using an iPhone 6, and the pictures are about 3 MB each. I try uploading them one at a time, they fail. Each time.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Are you getting any error message? I'll have to try from my iPhone 6 tonight when I have some time. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny they are having an issue with an iPhone 6. I always take my photos off my phone, batch resize, and upload from my computer - and never ever had an issue.

Why are you uploading the same photo again? That may be an issue. I think you can find that photo and re-insert it in multiple posts. Or copy the Attachment code in the other post where it is and use that. 

But I can't think of any reason what I changed would have made any difference. Are they portrait or landscape? iPhone's do have a glitch with portrait. Try a landscape if they are not.

Dave - I too had trouble with my iPhone 6+. I tried the Square option instead of Photo on the Camera, and it works. I'll have to figure out why. But to use the Square, you need to take your photo first - then choose it from within the post from your Camera Roll. Choosing to take the pic from within the post, doesn't give you the Square option.

7F64CF57-0A04-41C5-B80C-1488DCF185D7.jpeg

Don't know Dave. This is the same photo that will not upload via iPhone 6 (not Square), but will upload from my computer - 4.8 Mb. I have a support ticket in, so maybe they have some suggestions.

IMG_3561.jpg

• Upvote 1

GONNA RANT

Why can't pictures just upload like they're supposed to?

This is an issue that could consign us to Facebook of Doom

SERIOUSLY

I HATE FACEBOOK

But still

Dave - just save your photos to your desktop and post and upload from there - I hate typing from my phone. You gotta backup your photos somewhere - so why not to your desktop?

39 minutes ago, PALM MOD said:

Dave - just save your photos to your desktop and post and upload from there - I hate typing from my phone. You gotta backup your photos somewhere - so why not to your desktop?

This technical [stuff] is a pain in the ass. Sorry.

Why can't we just upload?

Dave - the forum software has had about 40 updates in the last 2 1/2 years. How many patches and updates has your iPhone had? - a couple of dozen I would say. Safari (or whatever browser you use) has also been updated and patched countless times. Then there is all the patches and updates of the Windows and Mac OS. And not to mention the server software.

And then you have dozens of new devices (Tablets and phones - Android and iOS) and cameras. 

Expecting all these potential "gremlins" to play nice with one another at all times would be great - but it just doesn't happen.

Having said all that, there may be a major upgrade in the works.

Ok Dave - I've been researching - and decided to install some new photo processing software. It didn't crash the site :greenthumb:, and as you can see above, it may have solved our problems.

So, I did all the above from my iPhone 6+ --- I used Siri and dictated the text,  took the pic, and uploaded it. So it should now also work for you.

And anyone else who has experienced issues in the past. Please let me know.

I have been very pleased with whatever update happened a few months ago.  Not a single issue with my S7 or desktop!!!!!!  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017, 9:39:15, PALM MOD said:

Iam using samsung galaxy mobile,I cannot upload photos directly from my Mobile phone.But iam comfortable with uploading those from stills from my windows Pc. What it does is after uploading,the still is not visible as a attachment.

Btw. My stills are all wide screen ratio 16;9 shot from Android phone.

Anyways iam not complaining.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif