IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do palm seeds get damaged from cold?

Kong(Seoul korea 7a)

Hi!

Im new here and new in plam trees too. :)

I live in seoul, korea (don't know if you know it though haha) and hardiness zone is 7a here.

There are only few kinds of palms at the nurseries in my city(and in my whole country as long as i know. Maybe because of the cold winter throughout the nation i think)

I could barely buy no more than dypsis lutescens or chamaedorea elegans. (Sometimes howea forsteriana if it's lucky)

So i ordered some palm seeds on ebay and the seller shipped them the day before yesterday.

Estimated delivery date is Dec 26 - Jan 31 and waiting for them could never be a problem.

But what im worried about is that i was told(after my order) the seeds are freezing during the shipping and will lose viabilities.

Until now i used to store my seeds got freezed in refrigerator.

But about the palms being a tropical plant, i had no idea that their seeds might be damaged from cold.

I already bought 2 kinds of seeds and was about to get a few more.

And what i should do now?

Are they really getting damaged from the cold and i'd better to wait until spring to buy ones? Or would it be fine to buy more now?

Is here anyone who have ideas about this? Need some advices for a newbie.

Thank you in advance.

(Sorry for my poor english..!)

This picture below is my hardbought howea forsteriana(waiting for the spring when i will repot it)

IMG_20171207_145724.jpg

• Upvote 2

I live in Finland. I have ordered the seeds in february. It's coldest month of the year. The seeds have bot been damaged in any way. Same of the seeds had even sprouted on the way here and continued growth like normal.

DSC_1957.thumb.JPG.2b2ca0a3fcf1b9b68e20ecc3697944e5.JPG

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cisco said:

I live in Finland. I have ordered the seeds in february. It's coldest month of the year. The seeds have bot been damaged in any way. Same of the seeds had even sprouted on the way here and continued growth like normal.

DSC_1957.thumb.JPG.2b2ca0a3fcf1b9b68e20ecc3697944e5.JPG

Thanks, cisco.

Mine would be fine too if it was in finland! :)

• Upvote 1

It depends on the species, the temperature, packaging andthe duration of the exposure to low temperatures. "Yes", IME palm seeds from many lowland tropical species can quickly lose viability when exposed to extreme cold for even relatively short periods. Obviously, cold hardy palms originating from areas that regularly see frosts or snow and so forth would be expected to handle cold temps well.

Following quite a few disappointments over the past several years with fresh seed failure, I now avoid having tropical palm seed mailed to me between early December and late January.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

It depends on the species, the temperature, packaging andthe duration of the exposure to low temperatures. "Yes", IME palm seeds from many lowland tropical species can quickly lose viability when exposed to extreme cold for even relatively short periods. Obviously, cold hardy palms originating from areas that regularly see frosts or snow and so forth would be expected to handle cold temps well.

Following quite a few disappointments over the past several years with fresh seed failure, I now avoid having tropical palm seed mailed to me between early December and late January.

Thank you for your advice!

Im sorry that even fresh seed didnt make it..

Maybe i shall wait till spring.