IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing CIDP

Glenn

Hello @Glenn, welcome to the forum from another Central Floridian.  What do you typically grow in pots?  Do you ever plan on putting what you grow in the ground?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I only grow CIDP. I start them from seed and grow them to 3 gallon plants and have a guy that buys them. I have about 200+ of them now here.

• Upvote 2

Depending on how fast they get to 3 gallon for you, might not need to fertilize them at all.  I think some potting soils come with a 9 month slow release.  If you do fertilize, it should probably be somewhere around a year to 16 months into the growth, and for phoenix, the most common deficiency is magnesium deficiency.  I add epsom salts to a basic 12-12-12 fertilizer when I do fertilize (not even once a year).  I'm sure there are better methods out there, but I'll let others explain what works for them.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have a young one in a pot, overwintering in a cold greenhouse. It was slow growing this summer, only putting out 4 leaves since it sprouted. Then a leaf got damaged in high wind. I'm hoping it survives this winter or I may have to buy some more dates for the stones ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

@Howeadypsis Are you sure you don't have a true date palm (phoenix dactylifera) vs. a Canary Island Date Palm (phoenix canariensis)?  The date stones that you plant are phoenix dactylifera, usually either Medjool or Deglet Noor in the USA.  I have 4 date stones that I grew planted in my front yard.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...