IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pray for Ventura California

DoomsDave

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Praying for the safety of all who live there. I pray your rainy season starts very soon.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Oh no, what a terrible thing. Prayers for everyone in So Cal.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This wind is crazy !!! I came home this morning from my night shift to find a lot of stuff blown over . They are saying the wind will not be letting up till Late Thursday night. Moving a lot of my stuff in pots up close to my house to block the wind . 

Bad bad news.

I hate these winds.  I'm certainly thankful that I am in no danger of a wildfire, (since areas upwind of me have already burned in the Canyon fires) and I'm not sure it even comes close to Hurricanes, but these winds have certainly done some damage.  Between shredding, breaking and pushing over my bananas, to tearing off the leafs from the leaf stem of my plumeria trees, to ripping the leaflets off of and leaning over my palms, I'm certainly feeling a little discouraged.  I guess I have come to find out that my area is prone to high speed Santa Ana winds. Even at the most humid time of the morning I recorded 9% humidity This is the second year in a row we have had damaging late season winds. I know the Santa Ana winds come every year but I don't remember them being 40mph+.

I am certainly praying for those in the path of any fires.  I can't imagine what it be like to loose your home and garden in a fire. The Ventura Botanical Garden has been turned into ashes. I heard the fires were spreading as much as a 100 yards a second. It's just so very sad.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I hate these winds.  I'm certainly thankful that I am in no danger of a wildfire, (since areas upwind of me have already burned in the Canyon fires) and I'm not sure it even comes close to Hurricanes, but these winds have certainly done some damage.  Between shredding, breaking and pushing over my bananas, to tearing off the leafs from the leaf stem of my plumeria trees, to ripping the leaflets off of and leaning over my palms, I'm certainly feeling a little discouraged.  I guess I have come to find out that my area is prone to high speed Santa Ana winds. Even at the most humid time of the morning I recorded 9% humidity This is the second year in a row we have had damaging late season winds. I know the Santa Ana winds come every year but I don't remember them being 40mph+.

I am certainly praying for those in the path of any fires.  I can't imagine what it be like to loose your home and garden in a fire. The Ventura Botanical Garden has been turned into ashes. I heard the fires were spreading as much as a 100 yards a second. It's just so very sad.

Jesse,

100 yards per second / 50 acres per minute Rate Of Spread ( ROS) has been a correct estimate of how the Thomas Fire has been moving. Luckily, it has slowed a little on the side directly involving Ventura and Santa Paula. There have been reports ( likely confirmed by now) that the fire has crossed 101 and is near the beach in acouple spots atm as well. Many were saying this rate of spread has been 2 to 3x faster than what was seen in Santa Rosa or Napa..

What's crazy is to think that in many other fires this year ( ...and other years ofcourse) it would take several days to achieve the current estm. of 65k acres burnt in less than 36 hours on this fire.. surely a reflection of the on-going situation with the Santa Annas.. aside from this incident, the Creek Fire, Rye Fire.. and a new incident that apparently started earlier this morning, the Skiball ( Getty) fire are ongoing, and impacting homes.. a bad situation.

Of concern for the next 2-3 days is the wind situation looks to ramp up.. maybe even become worse in spots compared to what was seen Monday. Don't recall seeing purple being used in regards to fire condition forecasts from the NWS.. a reflection of the potential for extreme fire behavior. 

Also saw the report about the Botanical Garden in Ventura.. hopefully the damage isn't complete when a full evaluation is done. Also saw pictures of a nursery on fire from Casitas Springs.. no clue as to the business's name. 

.if there is one good bit of news, besides the fact that there haven't been any deaths reported, it's that a famous local landmark, the cross in Ventura, which the fire ran over, appears to have survived, contrary to earlier reports..

From space

F788658D-5F91-4F3B-9FE0-84AFAD83BC1E.jpe

• Upvote 1

LA Times explains the near-zero humidity along with the record winds and lots of dry vegetation.  

The story of some 450 thoroughbred horses at a training facility, San Luis Rey Downs, in San Diego County, being "cut loose" to flee as best they could, with some not making it, was particularly disturbing.  Of course there have been horrific horse mortalities farther north.   

Florida has scrub vegetation with scrub pines, which support crown fires, followed by cones on the dead trees releasing seed.  The last serious episode of house-burning fires in such vegetation was, I think, back in the 1990s.  Typically, one subdivision had no water system, just wells.  Power was cut off, so no pumps.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hoping they get this under control, totally devastating situation. I'm thinking hurricanes might be the lesser of 2 evils. Stay safe all.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Bel Air got burnt, too.

5a2ab069e7556_belair1.jpg.c2cfb32f042e945a2ab07105461_belair2.jpg.0f31b70bc23771

5a2ab09f6a12f_fullyinvolved.jpg.f4b8a9385a2ab0aabad1d_runpast.jpg.cebac52bb3010c5a2ab0b06b2c5_housegonewomanlooking.jpg.

and all i do is cry

It's so horrible and my heart goes out to all the people, pets and wildlife in the affected area. The fires go out eventually but the loss of lives and property until they do is always horrific. A sad time for everyone involved.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

25 per cent contained.

YAHOO

not