IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society

SubTropicRay

(Ray, Tampa @ Jun. 22 2007,12:06)

Kitty,

Until the next "great freeze", you can grow anything up there right?  Bring the lusty stuff pleeeaaase.

Ray

Ray,

OK.  Lusty stuff it is.  How about some bromelaids and alocasias as well?  We have some unusual bromelaids and alocasias.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty,

OK.......now you have MY attention. I love to see all the tropical stuff, so I will be poking around your booth as well. I will also be bringing some of the lusty stuff too. Some nice Dypsis species. And 2 Green Jade vines, so there. :D The last time I talked to Ron, he was extreamly anxious and happy to have us all coming by.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

palmmermaid · Posted on Jun. 22 2007,12:38

OK.  Lusty stuff it is.  How about some bromelaids and alocasias as well?

Bring it all, I think everyone will be in the mood for rare plants. There are not many events during the summer, so I'm sure some fanatics are in rare plant withdrawal.

Ryan

South Florida

OK.  These will be for the auction.  We aren't bringing anything for the sale afterwards.  Is that how it works?  We aren't sure since this is our first time.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I'm bringing some saplings/seedlings to sell too.  

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Jeff Searle @ Jun. 22 2007,12:46)

I will also be bringing some of the lusty stuff too. Some nice Dypsis species. And 2 Green Jade vines, so there. :D

So what time do us "strong" local boys have to be there to help you unload??? :)

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

(ibreakforpalms @ Jun. 22 2007,22:05)

(Jeff Searle @ Jun. 22 2007,12:46)

I will also be bringing some of the lusty stuff too. Some nice Dypsis species. And 2 Green Jade vines, so there. :D

So what time do us "strong" local boys have to be there to help you unload??? :)

I figure we should be rolling in about 10 ish. Will there be a stampede to every vendor's truck as they pull up? ??? Do we need bodyguards?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Jun. 22 2007,22:18)

Will there be a stampede to every vendor's truck as they pull up? ??? Do we need bodyguards?

Jeff

Now that would be a sight!!!  No, just me and PalmTone.  Just a kind gesture.

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

Here's Jeff Searle, surviving the onslaught.  I picked up two of his nice Dypsis, but am having twinges of regret at not taking home the D. saintlucei.

post-275-1182636503_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

And here's Tom Broome.

post-275-1182636641_thumb.jpg

Palm seeds being auctioned.  These little ones weren't as spectacular as the big Hyphaene seeds!

post-275-1182636751_thumb.jpg

A beautiful young Satakentia liukiuensis from the Ryuku Islands.  It made me very, very happy that I planted a pair of them this spring.

post-275-1182636840_thumb.jpg

Where there's palms, there's likely to be bromeliads.  These all found new homes.

post-275-1182636925_thumb.jpg

To date, the longest CFPACS auction ever.

Ray, you aren't the only one to notice.  On the other hand, lots of stuff.  I'll be trying a little Trachycarpus in a partially-shaded location in my Vero Beach yard.  

There's some splendid photos of the garden (far better than mine) at 2ndlight forum.  It's a fine example of how to use a special site--in this case, the bank of a winding creek that's prone to flood, plus a steady slope up to what might originally have been scrub.

Growing the palms and other plants densely, making a low canopy with paths, is a good strategy for Florida.  The canopy will hold up decently in windstorms, and the plants make a better microclimate.  

And there's plenty of lawn space.  You couldn't invent a better site for a chapter palm sale.

I think Fiona was saying they had been in that location since 1999 ?

Amazing growth for that short length of time.

Not to mention 2004 with three significant tropical events.

Lot to be said for planting densly and forcing competition among plants.

It really inspired me to not be so sensitive to spacing....

Good to meet some of you !

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

The property is pretty amazing geographically.  It's a wedge between two bodies of water.

The auction took so long because of the backlog of seeds available.  I guess it's a good problem to have.

I had a great time at the meeting.  Betty and I loved the garden.  It looks like what I am trying to achieve.  I need more canopy - quick!  I loved how densely it was planted without regards to spacing.  It looks very natural.

It was great to meet some of the folks from the forum - Hi, Wendi! - and to see some old friends from the plant sales.  Seems like we will go to great lengths or distances for that special plant or even a chance for that special plant.  

The auction didn't seem overly long to us.  Ours at the club picnic in September is longer - and hotter!  Betty was able to get some great seeds at good prices.  We were also glad our plants were welcomed.

I couldn't believe the mad rush to the vendors after the auction!  Wow!  We don't have a sale at our picnic so this was something new for us.  We were able to pick up 3 palms and a jade vine.  Thanks to the vendors for bringing such a nice selection.

Sorry I didn't ge tto meet the Pralls.  I've heard so much about them and their garden.  I should have realized who they were with all the bromeliads.  Mike Harris raves about their garden and all the bromeliads as well as palms.  Maybe next time.

Thanks so much for allowing us to come to the meeting and having such a great time.  Maybe we will get to a few more.  And you all are all welcome to our picnic in September.  I will post details as we get closer.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty, how did I miss you there?  We really need nametags.

Kitty,

Sorry we weren’t introduced.

It would be nice if after the Board members were introduced, we went around the crowd introducing ourselves and where we were from.   – Might be time consuming but I interesting.

Yes, we were the ones with the Bromeliads, talking about them at the auction.

(I see my recycle bin in the photo)

I remember the old days when the Halls brought out their box of nametags

(which you returned after the meeting)

Kitty, if you are ever in the SW area, let us know.

Geri

A 2 1/2 hour drive for Ryan, Rob and myself,............it was well worth the drive.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

For those of us who represented the far south contingent, it was well worth the drive, for all reasons considered. To see Ron's property again and to meet so many Central Florida members made it a trip to remember. Some members I have not seen in many years. Any event where a bunch of palm fanatics meet is always classic. You simply can not find that level of conversation and palm banter anywhere else. I took about 200 photos and will post some of them in the Travel Log section. I tried to get as many Forum members photographed as I could find. There were a few that escaped my lens, but I know I got plenty.

weldertom · Posted on Jun. 24 2007,18:23

Good to meet some of you !

I am glad you made it to the meeting Tom, sorry I did not get to meet you (or photograph as well). There is always next time.

Ray, Tampa · Posted on Jun. 25 2007,11:18

It is true how close you can be to someone without knowing who they are. I must have seen Ray and Kitty a few feet apart a few times and never thought of introducing them.

Ryan

South Florida

(Ray, Tampa @ Jun. 25 2007,11:18)

Ray,

I had a name tag on, but just a little one.  Tried to see someone with your name but didn't.  Sorry I missed you.  If I ever get back over to the west coast, I will let you know and we can meet.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Geri,

Having the officers walk around might be a good idea.  I know it would help at all of our society's meetings - and all the other plant societies as well!  

I will definitely let you know if I come over to the west coast.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

This was the first meeting that I've attended and I'm glad I went.  Looks like I'll be going to alot more of them, as time allows.  It was nice to be involved in a group where everybody was so pleasant and sociable.  Where else do you see a group of people outside in a hot and humid situation for hours and people still have a smile on their face :cool: ?  Also, it was a pleasure to meet alot of people in person.  Now I can put a face to some forum members.  The food was good too :) !   The meeting was a great experience overall.  I even got to pick up some new palms to add to the collection.  Who knows, maybe 5-6 years down the road I'll host one of these palm get togethers! ???

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

Jason,

It was great meeting you on Saturday.  Go Sox.

Ray