IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cutting Edge of Palm Exploration - Slideshow

Dypsisdean

During a recent visit to the Big Island by Dr. Bill Baker of Kew Gardens, I was fortunate enough to have been able to spend some time with him as he toured the garden of Jeff and Suchin Marcus at Floribunda Nursery. As someone who thought I knew a little about palms,  between Jeff and Bill I felt totally out matched in the palm knowledge and experience arena - but wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Later in his visit he blessed the Hawaii Island Palm Society with a slide presentation discussing  a formidable challenge and endeavor of his to document and classify in book form the incredible and unique palm diversity of New Guinea. New Guinea probably represents the last great repository of undiscovered and still not totally understood flora and fauna in the world - and the palm family is no exception.

If you are interested in how palms are discovered, how/why they are named, what's new, etc. - you won't be sorry you set aside 1 1/2 hours to view this presentation. We owe Bill and H.I.P.S. a thank you for allowing and providing this presentation online.

EXPLORING THE PALMS OF NEW GUINEA by DR. BILL BAKER

img0.jpg.5796debd25d1037d868654a5363c1d7

• Upvote 10

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Awesome presentation! Thank you very much for sharing, Dean.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

I can't believe this presentation isn't getting more buzz and views. It isn't often (or ever) that you can view and learn so much from someone as knowledgeable as Bill. Some new species, and a glimpse into understanding the taxonomic puzzle involved when discovering and naming palms - from one of the few in the world who do it.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I didn't even see this until just now.  This will be my Friday night viewing. It was disappointing to have to miss the presentation for HIPS.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks for spending time to post Dean! Dr. Baker is an amazing plant biologist and so lucky to get to see. Made my Friday night!

Saved for viewing soon..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry to have missed the presentation as well and so glad arrangements were made to record. 

Kudos to Hawaii Island Palm Society for their continued commitment to palm education and conservation through events like these. It's amazing to me what a local chapter can achieve through leadership, activism, and follow through. 

We are fortunate here on the Big Island that our local IPS affiliate is so vibrant and constantly looking for new opportunities to keep our members engaged. 

Thanks Dean for your efforts, I will link the presentation to our website in hopes of more exposure.  

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That was an awesome presentation.  He joked about the length of the slideshow and hoping we would keep our eyes open;  I was fascinated right up to the end.  So many of these palms would, I think, thrive in Hawaii.