IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is something wrong with my Bizzy ?

Mohsen

My Bismarckia is having new fans and not bad in that regards, but not sure if this is normal or not, it seems its opening new spears earlier than it should be and the new fans are not longer than the previous ones so my Bizzy is not getting any height ?

is that normal or something wrong here ?

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

• Upvote 3

Hi,

Your palm seem to be normal to me.And when was this palm planted in the ground.Before that was the pot in which this palm grew was it in semi-shade area ? 

In my observation those bismarckia which have long fronds like our's is growing in semi-shade area of our garden.

Or it could be just a difference in its genetics.Once one of our member has posted 3 bizzys one looked short as it had smaller leaves and fronds.And that member was pointing out similar facts that you have pointed in this thread.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

BTW. Around your palm's feet their is a circular cement structure,our palm here has a wide trunk base of that size.And how deep is that cement border ? In my opinion that must be removed to help the palm grow freely.

Once it has reached a desired height with a massive trunk you can decorate your palm as desired.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

My Bizzies do the exact same thing, during the summer the spears are  huge, almost the size of baseball bats before they open. During the colder months the fronds open earlier, before they fully elongate.  I’m going into the winter so I guess you’re going into summer in Oz, when it gets hotter there maybe they will look more normal?  Kris probably doesn’t see this in Chennai where there is no winter. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Or it could be just a difference in its genetics.Once one of our member has posted 3 bizzys one looked short as it had smaller leaves and fronds.And that member was pointing out similar facts that you have pointed in this thread.

Love,

Kris.

I agree.  I have 1 that looks like a blue Washie, 2 that are fairly impressive, and 2 kind of in between. However, they all experience seasonal differences in spear size.  And none of mine are ginormous like some I’ve seen on PT......sob.

• Upvote 1

this can sometimes happen after a difficult winter, which includes wet roots in winter.  I agree with Kris, I'd get rid of that concrete barrier, its probably interfering with the dry cycle.  Bismarckias like a good dry cycle.  My bizzies(planted in ammended clay) in AZ did this after a cold event(21F), but I cant recall my florida bizzies(2) doing this.  My florida soil is sandy and the temps have only reached below 30 degrees 2 times in 7 years.  Research the native conditions of bismarckia, you will see the soil is high drainage and the weather is very dry in the cool season and wet in the heat.   If you are going to plant bismarckias in grass, clear an area about 6-10 feet in diameter around the root zone.  Grass will retain moisture and steal nutrients from your bizzie.

Edited by sonoranfans
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

6 hours ago, Kris said:

BTW. Around your palm's feet their is a circular cement structure,our palm here has a wide trunk base of that size.And how deep is that cement border ? In my opinion that must be removed to help the palm grow freely.

Once it has reached a desired height with a massive trunk you can decorate your palm as desired.

Thanks Kris

it was planted less than 2 years ago ...

the ring is not deep at all and just on surface ...I thought I will remove it when my Bizzy grow...

5 hours ago, topwater said:

My Bizzies do the exact same thing, during the summer the spears are  huge, almost the size of baseball bats before they open. During the colder months the fronds open earlier, before they fully elongate.  I’m going into the winter so I guess you’re going into summer in Oz, when it gets hotter there maybe they will look more normal?  Kris probably doesn’t see this in Chennai where there is no winter. 

Thanks 

that could be the reason , we still have cooler nights and will go to summer in 2 weeks ...

Was the Bismarckia raised in Queensland? If so it produced those earlier fans in more favourable conditions than Sydney. It is inevitable that you will see some reduction in size. There is completely nothing wrong with it. It should pick up some size in future years when it gets more used to your climate.

• Upvote 1

That's a really nice compact plant with plenty of leaves. In cooler climates they are very slow to gain height in my experience.  I actually find they tend to hold on to spears for a long time (ie open late or build up two or three spears at a time).  I have seen the early opening thing once and it was on a plant that was blown over and lost a lot of leaves.  Worth checking that it is solidly rooted but probably just keen to explode with growth now that the warmth has returned.

6 hours ago, richnorm said:

That's a really nice compact plant with plenty of leaves. In cooler climates they are very slow to gain height in my experience.  I actually find they tend to hold on to spears for a long time (ie open late or build up two or three spears at a time).  I have seen the early opening thing once and it was on a plant that was blown over and lost a lot of leaves.  Worth checking that it is solidly rooted but probably just keen to explode with growth now that the warmth has returned.

Thanks

it looks actually very happy, what I like about this one is that its not losing the old leaves quickly so it becomes compact with too many leaves, 

It have been very happy even in winter, we will see...

• Upvote 1