IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are Dogs "Smarter" than Cats?

DoomsDave

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/are-dogs-smarter-than-cats-scientists-weigh-in/ar-BBFW6E7?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I thought this was interesting. Kind of goes to what being smart is? Or isn't?

According to Vanderbilt University, dogs have 530 million neurons in the cerebral cortex — more than double the number cats have.

Humans have in the neighborhood of 16 billion.

Neurons, as pieces of the nervous system, are involved in sending signals and information throughout the body.

“I believe the absolute number of neurons an animal has, especially in the cerebral cortex, determines the richness of their internal mental state and their ability to predict what is about to happen in their environment based on past experience,” researcher Suzana Herculano-Houzel said in the university statement. “Our findings mean to me that dogs have the biological capability of doing much more complex and flexible things with their lives than cats can.”

According to the study, a golden retriever had more cortical neurons than larger animals as well, despite having an overall smaller brain: striped hyenas, African lions and brown bears.

It was not the only example of brain size being unrelated to the number of neurons. The researchers said that brown bears had the largest cerebral cortex of the animals studied but only had as many neurons as cats; and raccoon brains are about the size of cats’ but have roughly the same number of neurons as dogs, “which makes them comparable to primates in neuronal density."

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dogs are more militaristic, for sure.

chinese army doggy at attention.jpg

• Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Neurons or not, I’m allergic to cats and prefer dogs anyway.  Well, except now that I’m grown up and have kids the prospect of having a dog on top of everything else is much less appealing than it used to be I must admit. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

“Raccoons were the huge surprise,” Herculano-Houzel said. “They have cat-sized brains, but with dog-like numbers of neurons, which places them on par with primates, who as a whole have lots of neurons crammed in small brains. The large numbers of neurons in the small raccoon brains jives very well with how crafty/smart/resourceful these creatures are believed to be.”

So do any of you have a pet raccoon?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

“Raccoons were the huge surprise,” Herculano-Houzel said. “They have cat-sized brains, but with dog-like numbers of neurons, which places them on par with primates, who as a whole have lots of neurons crammed in small brains. The large numbers of neurons in the small raccoon brains jives very well with how crafty/smart/resourceful these creatures are believed to be.”

Raccoons are smart and devious.   I have heard numerous stories of them setting complex ambushes to kill watchdogs. And even of them picking locks due to their smarts and manual dexterity. Watchout for them!

• Upvote 2

Definitely dogs. Just got a new puppy, a puggle. He is very smart, but very stubborn! 

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Raccoons are smart and devious.   I have heard numerous stories of them setting complex ambushes to kill watchdogs. And even of them picking locks due to their smarts and manual dexterity. Watchout for them!

I concur. They're easily underestimated, especially by big dogs.

I have 5 cats and no dogs.

I once had a big doggie, and she was sweet as can be, but also a lot of maintenance I'm not up to anymore. As a German Shepherd, she needed regular walking, etc., which back then I was readily able to do. Now, not so much, and I don't have a fenced yard anymore.

Cats give you love, and you love them back. But they won't go to war at your side, or defend your house.

A dog, it seems would marry you if it could.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I could never give this one up:

20171228_Cat.png

• Upvote 5

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

I could never give this one up:

20171228_Cat.png

Nice kitty!

What's his or her name?

@DoomsDave That's Buster (his) :)  Acts just like Garfield... lazy and spoiled LOL

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@DoomsDave That's Buster (his) :)  Acts just like Garfield... lazy and spoiled LOL

Sounds like my kinda kitty. Sits in your lap?

Here’s Tar Baby 

5D557BF3-5BEC-4788-B33B-842D8519310C.thu

• Upvote 4

@DoomsDave Mine prefers to lay on my foot while I pet him continuously.  If I'm out pulling weeds, he assumes that my hand would be better placed on the top of his head and runs right under my hand before I get to the weeds.  No wonder I am so far behind on weeding...

Tar Baby... now there is a name you don't hear everyday!

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

@kinzyjr

An African American woman at the shelter gave her that name

AF2395D6-D192-4C61-892A-ABC8A47D2574.thu

• Upvote 6

We've got some cats and a dog. I think they can both be very intelligent animals. However, just like humans, some are smarter than others...this one is smart, and obedient as well...very un-catlike!

DSC_6459.thumb.jpg.00a6a2f9b2d64366ab70d

• Upvote 9

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dogs are much more attuned to the emotional state of their companion humans.  My dog always knows and responds when I am 'down'.

Here is what works for me, 70 pounds of lean, fit coondog !

caleb 040.jpg

• Upvote 5

San Francisco, California

My daughter has a dog and my son has a cat, and I love them all -- the animals and the kids.

DSC_0174.thumb.jpg.d6fbfd4a7cbb9da824b56

DSC_2240.thumb.jpg.b9e1fd29b3da73bcc39c5

• Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

My daughter has a dog and my son has a cat, and I love them all -- the animals and the kids.

DSC_0174.thumb.jpg.d6fbfd4a7cbb9da824b56

DSC_2240.thumb.jpg.b9e1fd29b3da73bcc39c5

Nice doggie and kitty!

....The best of both worlds, and in a world of their own..

Believed to be one of the oldest, (if not the oldest) known, semi-domesticated breeds, Basenji, or Congo Dog  as they are known, are thought to be one of two pariah canines depicted in Egyptian hyroglyphs and we're gifted to the Pharaohs from hunters in the Congo who used the dogs to net large game such as Antelope. Since they dont bark, hunters there often attached bells made from Borassus nuts to the collars to be able to track the dogs in the bush. It wasn' until around the 1930s that Basenji were successfully bred in England.

An unusual mix of both cat-like independence and cleaning behavior, and canine-like loyalty and wild dog-like appearance, Basenji present an exotic, elegant, and refined look. 

Classed as both a sight and sound Hound by the AKC, the breed is best known for being "Bark-less", a result of anatomical features related to Pariah type dog ancestrry, they are no doubt voiceless. Another unique feature of the breed is the "curled" tail. Color combinations include Tan/ white, ( most well known) Tricolor.. or 'Trindle',  Brindle, Balck/ white, and, rarest of all, Bluish/ white. 

While an easy to care for breed, and considered hypoallergenic, the biggest challenge with training is a high prey drive instinct. "See a cat.. or squirrel, off leash, ...and I'm gone" is his motto which is why a fenced yard is a must for the owner, as well as always being on lead when walked, though some dogs can be trained to eventually be allowed off leash in certain circumstances. 

While often described as aloof or untrusting around strangers, some individuals, like my boy, are super excited to greet the next welcomed guest at the door, especially children.. another not so typical Basenji behavior. 

One big factor in choosing pups is being sure the parents are tested for Franconi Syndrome, a condition that effects the Kidneys, esp. in older dogs. While the introduction of newer genetics from recent re-opening of the stud book, and far better genetic testing that traces Franconi markers has lowered the chances of having to deal with the disease, it is always best that owners watch their dogs as they age and occasionally test for high sugar levels if symptoms warrent.

Having fallen in love with the breed years ago, I'm still in love, 6 years on and couldn' have asked for a more handsome partner in crime, traveling companion, crazy, independent minded personality who curls up next to me at night, on his side of the bed, or on the couch, especially when he knows dad's not having a great day or vise versa... and wakes me up by pulling the blanket/ sheets off the bed and pawing at me if I don' get up when he wants me up. A humorous brat that always finds a way to put a smile on my face. 

While I've owned Cats, and grew up around other bigger dogs,  there is something about 22lbs of lightning fast energy from the tropics, who as walked beside hunter and King alike since ancient times that is a wonder to behold. Like his name, he is loved by his dad. Happy birthday, a day late, Ash. 

20161114_205824_resized.thumb.jpg.7d41c3

20171231_103637.jpg.4b8cdf4ad80b8493aa79

-Nathan

• Upvote 9

I have a yellow dog and a yellow cat. 

CFAEDB0A-633D-4F9F-9A9D-F736704FAEE6.thuE33AF0D4-797D-4CAE-B329-01269587924B.thu

last night it got down to 39 degrees so I brought in my babies...two Sabinaria magnificas. 

06F0FDF4-EFEA-4739-BB4C-9596D8B38B30.thu

however the cat did not want to come in. The yellow dog got snuggly on the bed but the cat did try until about 5am.

i think dogs are smarter but cats are more independent. 

• Upvote 7

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

On 30/12/2017, 9:16:54, Darold Petty said:

Dogs are much more attuned to the emotional state of their companion humans.  My dog always knows and responds when I am 'down'.

Here is what works for me, 70 pounds of lean, fit coondog !

caleb 040.jpg

What is this foam on the beach?

I don't know. It is common, natural, and does not cause any damage.  Perhaps it is a product from the decomposition of sea weed? It is not from a chemical spill or accident. :)   

San Francisco, California

Sea foam is caused when sea water is agitated by wind and waves especially when there is a high concentration of dissolving organic matter

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017, 1:35:05, Kim said:

I did have a divine raccoon coat, does that count ?

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.