IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix hybrid

JubaeaMan138

So I have posted this guy before I bought this as a mis labeled palm from Home Depot as windmill palm which I knew it was haha. But I bought it because I had never seen such a small Phoenix species flowering. When I got it home I found another sticker under it that said Canary island date palm I am sure this is not 100% percent canary it has just started flowering again any ideas on the hybridization of this palm?

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beespalms said:

Maybe the dwarf Phoenix species P. acaulis, or one of the dwarf varieties of P. loureroi.

Yes I thought so. But its a cidp hybrid with dwarf date palm.

That palm was staying in the pot for quite some time. Since now its in ground it has started showing its mature qualities.

I have the dwarf phoenix at our garden.its flowering exactly as seen in the above palm.

As its raining now I will post that still later.

My palm is around 25 years in ground but still short in height..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This palm was flowering in the pot when I bought it it was in a 15 gallon pot. That's kind of what drew me to it was the fact it was flowering 

• Upvote 1

Okay,Lets have some visuals..of our Dwarf Phoenix :

20160820_175646.thumb.jpg.7d76cbcbf9835d

Sorry about the clarity,The fronds have been trimmed in order to protect thy eyes.These stills are from my Archives.Not new but the size is the same !

20170215_152918.thumb.jpg.7c8dcbe24c6b82

20170215_152937.thumb.jpg.4dcf596f719abf

20170215_152951.thumb.jpg.38e93f4d4b7415

The leaves are darkish green,the fronds are very rigid and tempered.The leaflets are not arranged as flat as seen in canary palm.This palm puts out flowers twice a year and 2 to 3 red tiny fruits are formed.

This palm was procured from the wild with just 3 leaves resembling a blade of grass.

What i feel is your palm is  hybrid of Canary x Dwarf phoenix. But whatever it is your palm is a beauty. Does it put out seeds ?

since mine puts out viable fruits even without any of my phoenix palms flowering. Even if they did their timing is totally different.

I will search for the stills which has fruits.But need time.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif