IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms for a Small, Sunny Space

sbpalms

Anyone know of any palms or tropical plants that can fit in a relatively small space (around 2 feet wide) that would survive extremely hot, sunny conditions? I recently removed a struggling plant from this space and need a plant to replace it with. The plant also needs to not grow particularly tall, as the spot is under the roof overhang. 

Edited by sbpalms

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

Hemithrinax eckmanii, Coccothrinax argentata,Pseudophoenix eckmanii.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I can't give you a specific name, I don't know many, but what about a slow growing blue cycad.

Lots of those are so slow that the eventual size will not be your problem.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Chamaedorea radicalis.  Brahea decumbens.  Dypsis pink crownshaft might be an interesting try.  I've seen them in full sun.  They compact.

Edited by MattyB
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

"...(around 2 feet wide)..."

Many (all?) things mentioned here exceed that diameter early on. I suppose all meet the criteria as large seedlings, but the moment they spread their wings they exceed the space allotment by multiples.

This being PalmTalk, I suppose that we would be remiss if we did not include a seedling coconut.

More seriously, no readily available palm that could persist under those conditions comes to mind. There are obviously many dwarf chams, geonomas and pinangas that are space-right, but climate-wrong. As far as cycads go, Zamia pygmaea/kickxii and some other Caribbean forms, fit the bill, I think. Some rather rare plumose leaf macrozamias might as well.