IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Digging Lepidozamia peroffsyiana

DoomsDave

I have one of these, and I want to dig and possibly re-home it.

The caudex is about 12" (30 cm) across, leaves about 8 feet (3 M) long.

How deep does the taproot, if any, go?

Any experiences?

thanks

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dont know, but the jungle music crew dug 12-20 mature plants about 6 months ago and could probably give a pointer or two. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Dont know, but the jungle music crew dug 12-20 mature plants about 6 months ago and could probably give a pointer or two. 

Where?

Who?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Those were dug from the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. They had been growing in full sun and seeding. I haven’t been back to see what went into the planter since. Here is the link regarding the acquisition:

http://www.junglemusic.net/Lepidozamia_peroffskyana_Collection_January_2017/Lepidozamia_peroffskyana.html

On 11/25/2017, 11:14:38, DoomsDave said:

I have one of these, and I want to dig and possibly re-home it.

The caudex is about 12" (30 cm) across, leaves about 8 feet (3 M) long.

How deep does the taproot, if any, go?

Any experiences?

thanks

dave

I am pretty confident that it will move with ease.    As the guys mentioned anove, jungle music transplanted tons of them, most of them with over 2 feet of trunk. I would just get the largest rootball you can to be on the safe side. In my experience, most cycads can be relocated without skipping a beat. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the pictures!

Those are enormously helpful!

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Phil bergman 

http://www.junglemusic.net

I rememeber them being really close to the san diego botanical garden

47 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

I am pretty confident that it will move with ease.    As the guys mentioned anove, jungle music transplanted tons of them, most of them with over 2 feet of trunk. I would just get the largest rootball you can to be on the safe side. In my experience, most cycads can be relocated without skipping a beat. Good luck!!!

I know the roots are strong like macrozamia and dioon, not fragile like encephalartos and cycas. So that is good news.  

• Upvote 1

All dug and potted.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments!

60B16417-AC8A-474E-BB0D-84C4028A021C.thu

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Easy dig DD?

Yes, relatively. It weighed about 75 - 100 pounds, but no taproot to speak of.

When it roots in, I'm going to sell for some moolah.

On 12/3/2017, 7:58:07, DoomsDave said:

When it roots in, I'm going to sell for some moolah.

You didn't have the patience to wait for it to get overhead and have people ask about what type of "palm" you have?  One nice thing about this cycad is that it is completely unarmored, so you can put it closer to a walkway without worrying about it causing bodily harm.  Has it coned yet to see whether you have a male or female?

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

You didn't have the patience to wait for it to get overhead and have people ask about what type of "palm" you have?  One nice thing about this cycad is that it is completely unarmored, so you can put it closer to a walkway without worrying about it causing bodily harm.  Has it coned yet to see whether you have a male or female?

Still a baby.

• 4 years later...

I purchased a seedling from jungle music just a few months ago. I wonder if it is a seedling off the very same plants! I bet they kept the best mother plant to produce babies for their nursery! 

How awesome such a great story. Thanks for sharing!