IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Palm Seeds

jsharpe

I have 20 palm seeds . I got them last March. They still have not germinated. I put them in plastic bag with perlite and potting soil. When I first got them I soaked them for two days.  I threw out the ones that flooded to the top of the water.  I took off the outer casings. I added water to the baggy every once and a while. Are my seeds any good?  Should I start over?  Can anyone help? Thanks

Should I nick them?  Someone suggested that. 

Edited by jsharpe

Hello Jeannie,

Welcome to palmtalk,You can take a few seeds from that baggie bag,try float test and also pinch a seed to see if it has rotted.

Most of the palm seeds need warm temperatures to germinate so if your sabal seeds are in dark cool room its going to sit there doing nothing.

I assume those seeds in discussion is Sabal Palmetto.Here is a link were you can find many sabal seed germinators explaining their method Sabal Palm

If your seeds are not S.Palmetto,then try this Link

Here is a useful link on how to prepare the germination medium and the various methods used by our members...

Materials needed for palm seeds germination...

Hope this helps

Love,

Kris.

Btw. Never give up,Try it from the beginning with new set of seeds.

love conquers all..

43278.gif