IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my Newly transplanted Canary palm dying/dead?

MrsReeder

Hello everyone! I’m new to the site and am looking for some help. We just recently transplanted a mature canary palm and I’ve the last 10 days it’s gone from healthy to very sickly looking. Info below.... let me know what you think.

*Weather has been 75-85 deg

*Transplanted: Oct 9th

*Watering: our transplanted said to water once a week but we have increased the past few days to daily watering thinking it may have not been enough due to the damage to the root system and it’s ina to absorb water.

Hello! Welcome to the forum! 

It sounds like it probably has transplant shock, but if you can, can you get a few pictures and post them? It will help us get a better idea of what is wrong. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Welcome to palmtalk Haley,

We all can give suggestions only after seen some stills of that transplanted canary date palm.Was that palm dug up from another property and brought to you garden or was it grown in a farm or nursery where the roots are pruned and readied to be transported to the buyer ?

If its the former method,then the palm would certainly show marked signs of transplant/transport shock which is normal...if the entire transplant work was carried out by a experienced professional.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

15 minutes ago, MrsReeder said:

Sorry for the delay...it was saying my pictures were too large. Please see the attached photo. :(

CP5.jpg

Iam surprised how quick its declining...since some phoenix palms take 6 to 8 months to show signs of death in our hot tropics.

In this still the entire fronds growing area is missing along with its spear.Have you trimmed the fronds,Since lots of leaves are missing in the above still.Compared to the still taken when it was planted ?

It is a desert palm,watering daily want help.Over watering could rot the roots leading to fungus infection.

How big is the palms root ball area while it was planted at your property ?

To be frank that palm looks pretty ill.

Have you seen youtube videos of canary date palm transplant,Since you will have an idea what went wrong.

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

The palm seemed fine until the last 10 days and it went bad FAST! We have not cut any of the fronds since it was planted, they have just predominantly fallen to the back side. 

Ill try to attach a photo of it when it was being planted so you c an see the rootball. 

A58C422E-E71B-4AEC-BF8F-68099DDFA690.jpeg

Iam sorry to say the persons who handled your palm has not given any priority to its roots.It seems they have dug up the palm and forcibly pulled it out using the crane.If your palm survives it would be a miracle.And my prayers are with it.Since its my favorite palm too and i call it as the king of the phoenix palms.

The above still has explained it all.

Here is a link from palmtalk where members have compiled various CIDP's growing across the globe.

Love,

Kris.

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

8 minutes ago, Kris said:

Here are few youtube videos on Canary date palm transplant work..Was your palms roots properly pruned ? as seen in these video.

Link 1

Link 2

Love,

Kris.

Kris,

We are under the assumption they were since we hired a professional that does this kind of work all the time, but without being an expert on it myself, I don’t know for sure. :( 

Im going to call the company and have them come look at it today. :( 

1 minute ago, MrsReeder said:

Kris,

We are under the assumption they were since we hired a professional that does this kind of work all the time, but without being an expert on it myself, I don’t know for sure. :( 

Im going to call the company and have them come look at it today. :( 

Does this palm come with any guarantees ? If so nothing to worry. I always recommend our members to buy from your near-by farms and nurseries where you get beautiful/pure/male - female option while buying canary date palms.that too with big root ball or in huge nursery pots.See those videos that are posted.That palm was indeed a beauty but due to bad handling its sure to die.And daily watering want help a desert palm.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Very fast declining!!! 

CIDP with transplant shock has death leaves, but always the old leaves first and the newest leaves, after. And never death leaves droop in only 2 months.

Looks weevil damage. May be the southamerican weevil is there.

Some pictures near the crown will be very good for us to tell you what is happening.

Kris,

since we only hired him for the transplant and the palm was purchased from a private owner, there was no guarantee but he has agreed to come look at it today and is a palm supplier so he may help us out.

Monover,

attached is the bet I can do at the present moment bc I’m at work. The weird part is the fronds are still green and seem healthy other that the drop in canopy.

Hope this helps. I’m so sad! 

Update - our planter came out and said the tree is in Shock and that the fronds need to be trimmed back to release the additional stress on the palm.  I’m at a loss and guess time will tell.

thabk you everyone for your help and guidance!! 

Thats stress and a cidp any smaller than that would surely be dead. IMO if that one lives it will be a miracle. Cidp do not transplant well unless root pruned. 

A little late for that,  but might as well. The entire crown will collapse, spear pull and start to rot in 60 days. A real shame because that was a very nice looking palm. 

Not intended to make you feel bad, but your professional didn't do you any favors.  The limited amount of roots is pretty much a death sentence. I would be wary of using this person in the future. 

Also, I would shy away from transplanting in the Fall.  Spring is much better for palms.

Btw, there are reason for against trimming the remaining fronds.  I vote against trimming, due to the time of year amongst other reasons. 

Others will argue this point.

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys for the feed back and your thoughts. I’m goong to pass this info onto my husband and we will see how it goes.

thank you again! 

15 minutes ago, MrsReeder said:

Thank you guys for the feed back and your thoughts. I’m goong to pass this info onto my husband and we will see how it goes.

thank you again! 

Drop back by and let us know how it turns out.

So I had a canary about the same size transplanted a few years back root ball dig was about the same size as well. Here is what I was told about care of that Palm after planting was finished . I was told first and thing and most important thing is to make sure you leave the fronds all tied straight up for 90 days if for whatever reason it comes undone tie it up right away. 90 days seems like a long time but I believe it helped . Also heavy heavy watering for the first 90 days . Mine had zero decline 90 days after transplant I opened it up and it was a beautiful thing !

Also multiple doses of superhrive down some 3 in abs stand pipes installed by the root ball! I've transplanted quite a few big palms at first inwouldnt tie up the fronds and lost just about everything I did not tie up. Since i've started ttieing up the fronds everything has done exceptional I just moved a big jubaea x butia from doomsdave and tied it up and it looks awesome and has rooted !

Edited by JubaeaMan138

We leave palms tied up for up to six months here and it make a huge difference in our dry summer heat. 

On 11/22/2017, 4:58:18, JubaeaMan138 said:

Also multiple doses of superhrive down some 3 in abs stand pipes installed by the root ball! I've transplanted quite a few big palms at first inwouldnt tie up the fronds and lost just about everything I did not tie up. Since i've started ttieing up the fronds everything has done exceptional I just moved a big jubaea x butia from doomsdave and tied it up and it looks awesome and has rooted !

In retrospect, I wish we would have kept the fronds tied up but we trusted the transplanter with what he was doing. Do you think it would help at this point to tie them up? I’m feeling like it’s too late for that. 

I’ve discussed all the info everyone has provided on her with my husband and we are going to have to just wait and see what happens. I’m afraid the damage has already been done so we are watering To make sure the ground stays saturated but not flooded and putting our palm prayers out into the universe.  

Still open for recommendations on things we can do to help it’s current state. :(

Edited by MrsReeder

• 2 weeks later...

Haley how is your palm.And this what i usually recommend our members to buy farm or nursery grown seasoned palms in you area or state,which is ready to be planted and these palms start growing without showing signs of stress unlike the ones which are forcefully being pulled out of its actual growing location.

You can see in the video the roots are all protected with a pot or nursery bag.All one has to do is to transport and plant it in ones property.i.e dig a pit only in your property. so less work,less labour cost.And a guarantee that the planted phoenix palm will surely survive as it has virtually no major root damage.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris!

well we had the owner of a palm farm come out and look at the tree.  He’s said the transplanter (not affiliated with his company) basically did a horrible job. The root ball was cut too small, the hole wasn’t big enough, should have placed sand & nutrient rich soil in the hole and should have left the fronds tied up for at least 90 days. They had us remove all the fronds to decrease the pull on the crown and said the good news is it’s not dead, just severely stressed.  His hope is that with proper care, it will put off new fronds starting spring time. So we are crossing our fingers at this point. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update.Glad to know its still alive.:greenthumb: We will all be very happy to see new spear emerging in the months to come.

wish you all the best.

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

1 hour ago, MrsReeder said:

Hi Kris!

well we had the owner of a palm farm come out and look at the tree.  He’s said the transplanter (not affiliated with his company) basically did a horrible job. The root ball was cut too small, the hole wasn’t big enough, should have placed sand & nutrient rich soil in the hole and should have left the fronds tied up for at least 90 days. They had us remove all the fronds to decrease the pull on the crown and said the good news is it’s not dead, just severely stressed.  His hope is that with proper care, it will put off new fronds starting spring time. So we are crossing our fingers at this point. 

I second Kris. Please do keep us posted. 

Kris & Hammer,

thank you so much for all the help and advice! I’ll keep you guys posted on how it’s doing. Fingers crossed it makes a full recovery and returns to its original state. It was such a beautiful tree and would be an amazing addition to our new backyard. 

Xxxxx (hugs) 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Don’t hold your breath. The posters on this topic haven’t come on the forum in years.

I suggest you start a new topic, include lots of photos.

Also, no one can help you if we don’t know where you are. A country at minimum would be nice.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.