IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus dammaropsis is sick.

Tracy S

Hey all. I recently purchased a focus dammaropsis. As soon as I took it home it started complaining. I had put it in my nursery area which is outdoors with overhead misters. After 48 hours it dropped a leaf. Then 2 days later another leaf dropped after turning yellow.

I figured it had gotten too crowed and dark in the area so I moved it to brighter light and stopped watering it. It started to make a come back but now it's taken turn for the worst.

Any advice on what it needs or wants to recover?

20171118_121915.jpg

20171118_122053.jpg

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

did it get sun burned?

they hate to be in the pot for to long as well. I would plant it or shift it into a bigger container

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It looks sun burned now but don't know how it could be. It gets about 2 hours on morning light and is filtered the rest of the day (bright light but not direct). It was looking bad and then we had a week of solid rain and overcast. I moved it to a south face for two days to get it out of the rain. It was overcast and I don't think it got much direct sun. The rain finally stopped so I moved it back to the bright light position.

I thought I should wait for it to stabilize before I planted it. Do you think it would be better off to plant it now?

I appreciate any advice you can give. I would hate to lose this plant.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Your plant looks fine. Don't worry about stabilizing it, let it stabilize itself. It got a little sunburn, dropped a couple of leaves, that's how plants adjust. Stop moving it around, and let it do it's thing. It does not appear to be in any danger. Nice plant.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tracy S said:

I moved it to brighter light and stopped watering it.

8 hours ago, Tracy S said:

I moved it to a south face for two days

8 hours ago, Tracy S said:

The rain finally stopped so I moved it back to the bright light position

As Kurt points out, you have done a lot of moving.  I learned to mark pots orientation (typically mark south on pots), so that if I move them, I can keep them oriented the same to the sun when I move them.  This avoids orienting it so that portions previously shaded won't suddenly be exposed to sun.  That said, moving it less in the first place would be the best call.  These can drop some leaves when exposed to change.  Patience is warranted.  This post may get moved to the "TROPICAL LOOKING PLANTS -other than palms" forum where you will find some other posts on Ficus dammaropsis and it's culture.  Good luck to another Tracy "S".... my last name also begins with S which confused a friend earlier today when he read your post.

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thank you Tracy ( not "S"). I will give that a try. That patience part is not my strong suit, unfortunately.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Whenever you buy a plant it is good to ascertain the growing conditions immediately prior to purchase so that you can acclimatise appropriately.  These are a fast and easy grow.  Good luck, nice score.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on my Ficus dammaropsis,...

After hearing all your advice I went ahead and planted it in the ground. It was down to 4 leaves, 2 clearly near dead and 2 that looked okay. 

After leaving it alone for a while, it finally put out a new leaf. This is the first leaf it has grown since I bought it 3 months ago. 

I think it's on the mend. Thank you very much for your help!

(Ignore the ugly planting area. This is a workspace and where I relegate plants that are doing poorly or that I feel guilty about. :mellow:)

20171223_092754.jpg

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

1 hour ago, Tracy S said:

Here's an update on my Ficus dammaropsis,...

After hearing all your advice I went ahead and planted it in the ground. It was down to 4 leaves, 2 clearly near dead and 2 that looked okay. 

After leaving it alone for a while, it finally put out a new leaf. This is the first leaf it has grown since I bought it 3 months ago. 

I think it's on the mend. Thank you very much for your help!

(Ignore the ugly planting area. This is a workspace and where I relegate plants that are doing poorly or that I feel guilty about. :mellow:)

20171223_092754.jpg

looks great and on its way :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Tracy S said:

I think it's on the mend

It's looking good, congratulations!  My Ficus dammaropsis with the red fruit and red veins looked very similar when I planted it, a single thin trunk with a few leaves on top.  After it formed the first fruit just below the top leaves, it finally sprouted a couple of branches coming off the trunk (relatively close to the ground).  While those lower branches grew, the original trunk stopped forming new leaves and eventually started dying back from the top.  Fast forward in time that main stock died back to the point that the branches came out, and now they are the main trunks.  I've heard from others this isn't too uncommon for rooted cuttings of Ficus d.  Just thought I would mention it in case you experience something like it down the road.  That original trunk is still visible in the attached photo.

20171217-104A8061.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation