IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. "Betefaka"

edric

I had never seen that before. Had to check palm pedia to learn more. Very nice looking palm. Thanks for introducing me to a new palm. 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

2 hours ago, edric said:

Betty's coming right along, Ed

dbIMG_0390.jpg

dbIMG_0391.jpg

dbIMG_0395.jpg

dbIMG_0396.jpg

dbIMG_0398.jpg

looking great Ed, where did you get this palm from?

I need to find one for my collection. If you could PM me that would be fantastic

thanks,

Josh

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hi Josh, this one was germinated by J.D. Andersen's Nursery, Cal. & Hawaii, 2003-4 seed batch, I purchased it in 2009, there are only a handful of specimens outside of Madagascar, Ed

• Upvote 1

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed, does this look like your palm? Planted small in January 2013. Orange, 5-gal bucket for scale. Purchased from a fellow collector here on the Big Island. He got them as D. hovomantsina, but indicated that he didn't believe the name.

5a15feb5a67eb_sp.betafaka_maybe_1_112217

5a15feb9abb39_sp.betafaka_maybe_3_112217

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

That looks like a different Palm mike. I am by no means a expert on this edric and bsman are the ones who know these but that looks more like decipiens . Than the betafaka he posted 

I don't think that's the betafaka I know.

Ahem.

They have much stiffer leaflets.

That said, great palm, and cool hat! :winkie:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Ed, does this look like your palm? Planted small in January 2013. Orange, 5-gal bucket for scale. Purchased from a fellow collector here on the Big Island. He got them as D. hovomantsina, but indicated that he didn't believe the name.

5a15feb5a67eb_sp.betafaka_maybe_1_112217

5a15feb9abb39_sp.betafaka_maybe_3_112217

That's more like my betafaka. Damn, sounds funny said aloud.

Great palm, though.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 7 months later...

I believe Edric has the real deal. BS Man about Palms :drool: drooled all over his keyboard, shorted out his computer. I am sure he would have commented at the time of this post.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2017, 11:11:02, edric said:

Hi Josh, this one was germinated by J.D. Andersen's Nursery, Cal. & Hawaii, 2003-4 seed batch, I purchased it in 2009, there are only a handful of specimens outside of Madagascar, Ed

Hi Ed,

I bought this palm from Jerry Anderson a few years ago.  The emerging spear and grind sure look similar...

12095429-A9AA-4245-9070-67899C88AF5C.jpeg

3507003A-26EC-4E1C-A241-A20AD908713F.jpeg

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Joe for alerting me to this thread, but yes all the palms here are the same palm. Ed is right on as to the time they came in. They have proven to be difficult grow. I'm still not sure if it's a palm that has finicky requirements or just there are very few with superior genes! Ed, yours looks fantastic! Mike yours is doing really well too! I have "gone through"  several (died) :( and then Shon kinda forced me to dig his when he moved. I thought it died soon after.. and has come back to where it has 3 leaves. Bo had some of these as "Mystery palms" at his old place. The only variance seems to be some have red spears and some are green. 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yeah, I should clear up here, I have seen at least THREE different types of palms called "betefaka"..All of them appear to be unnamed at this point.

I ended up with one that I think may be a hybrid. It has more regular leaflets, but it's like its glued to the ground. Almost like a cross between the betefaka and ambositrae.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!