IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Brahea

Jdiaz31089

3 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

This is armata. The blue tint doesn't show too well in the picture. There's a nice yellow tint in the petioles too.

20171122_121659.thumb.jpg.9d4a4ef5b73e55

Whoa! cool palms! Are these both armata? the one looks like it has yellow/orange on the petiole. Is this normal variation among armatas?

Thank you. Yes, they are both Armatas. I am not sure if the coloring is normal variation among Armatas. Other than being pretty slow, they have been great growers for me. They are also a lot bluer than they look. The pictures were taken in the late afternoon. Here are a couple close up pictures so you can see the color. 

• Upvote 1

I planted this B armata in 2003 as a little guy. Hard to get a good shot of it now, everything in that garden is getting really large and the Jubaea x Butia fronds you can see in the photo overlap with the crown of the B. Armata. Hard to see the scale, but that's a 6 foot fence to the right so you can nearly walk under the crown now. Not so slow for Melbourne standards, it has always pushed out new fronds at a good rate.20170104_124229_resized(1).thumb.jpg.7af

Edited by tim_brissy_13
  • Upvote 7

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Here is my B. edulis that I grew from seed. First picture is September 2013 shortly after it went in ground.  Second is from today.  I am surprised by how quickly and by the number of leaves this palm puts out each year.

IMG_0181.JPG

B.edulis.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, Jubaea said:

Here is my B. edulis that I grew from seed. First picture is September 2013 shortly after it went in ground.  Second is from today.  I am surprised by how quickly and by the number of leaves this palm puts out each year.

IMG_0181.JPG

B.edulis.jpg

Wow, that is some serious growth in a short period of time. Seems like Edulis grows just as fast if not faster than Clara.

15 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Wow, that is some serious growth in a short period of time. Seems like Edulis grows just as fast if not faster than Clara.

It depends apparently on the cultivated strain, since the reports about growth rate are very mixed.And I, admittedly, share a similar experience... I had namely in the past one very fast growing exemplary while current one is comparatively quite slow.  This third one look again decently fast.

IMG_20171120_152646.thumb.jpg.6841ae1094

• Upvote 2

Edulis is much faster than Clara from seed.  Fastest Brahea seems to be edulis, brandegeei and aculeata, just about in that order from what I have seen. Aculeata cold tolerance and speed have been an unexpected surprise for me.

Aculeata is by far the easiest & fastest Brahea to germinate as well. 

My B. edulis gets regular water, fertilized sometimes and gets a decent amount of sun. I grew a couple of others before this one and I ended up selling them as they grew up too quickly and I did not have a place to put them.

Super Silver Brahea

1511732688117-307220464.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Another Brahea Super Silver. Finally starting to go silver after a few patient years:

5a1b6ce3b99ac_BraheaSS.thumb.jpg.8ce1b55

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

On 11/23/2017, 8:17:01, Jubaea said:

IMG_0181.JPG

B.edulis.jpg

WHOA 

My eyes popped out of my head hard to find and stick back in ag:oain 

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 11/23/2017, 8:17:01, Jubaea said:

IMG_0181.JPG

B.edulis.jpg

WHOA 

My eyes popped out of my head hard to find and stick back in ag:oain 

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Brahea

decumbens

038DF9CF-D341-4C4B-9EDC-FC4EF236FCF6.thu

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Super Duper Silver 

A658D56B-3E85-4ED9-812A-0BD2A244879C.thu

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

18 hours ago, daxin said:

952DC52D-D17D-4BD6-98FF-0944361912F9.thu

Another Brahea Super Silver. I wish the leaves could stay Copernicia flat forever.

0D369D6B-C638-479A-8435-10CBAA762360.thu

A Brahea sarukhanii that is still in a #5 container

Brahea sarukhanii  is one of my top 3 braheas and hard to find.

nice score!!!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 years later...
On 11/21/2017 at 5:52 PM, quaman58 said:

Here's a couple of a B. pimo (furry hesper palm). Slow to get started, 7 years from seed, but really throwing leaves now.

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Man that is so so nice ! My years of searching for one continues.   Had a 1ga die on my this year, and who knows when I’ll find another.  Seems no seeds or seedlings have popped up since I got into the Palm game last 5 years.   Bought a Brahea while ago that I was told was Pimo, but I don’t think it is.   Your palms looks great and this is my #1 Palm to find.   Keep that thing happy ! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2017 at 8:17 PM, Jubaea said:

IMG_0181.JPG

B.edulis.jpg

Here is an updated picture from the other day.

Brahea Edulis.jpg

Edited by Jubaea
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

clara have been very speedy growers for me

09521F0B-FF7D-48D4-A2E5-BBC2ABDBC341.thumb.jpeg.1195148f294f2bc0191e62e8e695fefc.jpeg

560C1F67-6226-4E76-9E12-F26214698CD6.thumb.jpeg.f9afa4219d31b74a33e445915acea67b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 months later...

Herewith my summer Brahea update. Brahea palms have been one of the fastest and rewarding genera for me. 

I’ll start with Brahea armata:

9BDF1F0A-06B3-4B92-AA31-32B1C6F06ECF.jpeg

738B75DE-E9F4-49D7-9128-D43B3BCD6571.jpeg

4CF00588-2732-4EA1-9C0F-20B78708D103.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Beauties Marius:greenthumb:

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 3:46 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Super Silver Brahea

1511732688117-307220464.jpg

Same Super Silver Brahea over three years later:

image.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

A Brahea armata as well (both the B. armata and B. "Super Silver" were purchased from TexasColdHardyPalms back in 2017):

image.thumb.png.f9f976559cc49898154f390a0208d0b4.png

Edited by GoatLockerGuns
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1