IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal causiarum survivors

Cindy Adair

I realized yesterday that I could not recall when I had last taken a day off to visit a beach here. Obviously too long.

I have the post hurricane/new normal day to day routine down now and lots more clearing of dead trees can wait a day or more. In fact if I procrastinate long enough nature will do so for me?

As rain greeted me this morning, I took a short side trip first to check on a famous group of palms in and around a golf course across from the Aguadilla airport. Conveniently there is a wifi spot that serves $1.75 large lattes and has a nice baño to use to change into a swim suit as the weather clears.

Anyway I am happy to report that these majestic Sabal causiarum palms largely survived and look much much better than my first peek about 6 weeks ago.

Who grows these?

DSCN7255.jpg

DSCN7258.jpg

DSCN7261.jpg

• Upvote 9

Cindy Adair

I've noticed some large trunking specimens being planted around interstates and toll roads in the Orlando area. At least, I think that's what they are. Those pictured are nice ones.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Glad to see they are recovering. How is the clean uo going post Irma? Did you lose a lot of plants?

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

wow! I'm  sooo glad you are OK Cindy!!!

great picture of those sabals :)

How did your garden fare?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, Reeverse said:

That is great news. Wilderness is a great beach. 

Is Wilderness the name for the beach closest to the golf course through the sabals? 

I was headed to Crashboat beach for easy parking yesterday. The beach erosion and destruction was horrifying.

There was a group of people in army fatigues who were in a circle listening and taking pictures.

I could see piles of broken parking lot asphalt, but nothing like the bustling row of vendors and wide sandy beach preMaria.

Cindy Adair

11 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Glad to see they are recovering. How is the clean uo going post Irma? Did you lose a lot of plants?

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

wow! I'm  sooo glad you are OK Cindy!!!

great picture of those sabals :)

How did your garden fare?

So good to hear from you all and kind of you to ask.

Well, my farm has surprised me with its resilience.

And I am very very glad I went to a great deal of trouble to protect so many of my plants still in pots by moving them inside.

I still have inaccessible areas, but little by little I am reopening them.

Cindy Adair

11 hours ago, redbeard917 said:

I've noticed some large trunking specimens being planted around interstates and toll roads in the Orlando area. At least, I think that's what they are. Those pictured are nice ones.

I haven't spent much time around Orlando, but just assumed most of the interstate Sabals in FL to be Sabal palmettos and Sabal domingensis. 

Usually I am sadly too busy trying to deal with the traffic and directions to do more than glance at the palms as I speed by.

Next time I am crawling in rush hour in FL I will pay more attention.

Cindy Adair