IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinate Saba Palm Seeds

jsharpe

I would love some help to know what I’m doing my wrong with germinating palm tree seeds. I  received 22 seeds in the mail and sought info off YouTube to germinate them.  I soaked them in water for two days, changing the water every day then I decided on the baggy method to germinate. It’s been 9 months since I received the seeds.  I then put them on pot with perlite and Pete moss potting soil. Should I throw them out and start over or stick with them.  Jeannie sharpe 

What species of Sabal(?) Have you taken them out of the pot and checked them? Are they still hard like ball bearings or have they rotted? I don't recommend peat moss for germinating seeds or growing seedlings. It is too difficult to keep a proper moisture balance with it. I germinate Sabals in a deep pot with a good palm/cactus mix and extra perlite  for enhanced drainage. As I don't usually get freezing temps I keep the pot outdoors in mostly sun where irrigation hits it 2x per week. This time of year I don't expect germination until next spring when temps go back up. Sabals love all the heat, sun, humidity and rain they can get.

If your seeds have rotted, they may not have been fully ripe, infertile or otherwise compromised. Don't let the pot sit in water long term or overwater - I keep my pots of seeds sitting several inches off the ground on plastic shelves. Don't baby them to death. Sabal seeds are easy to get so try again.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hi,

As Meg has said,if you follow those instructions is sufficient to get good seeds germination rate.And if you still need more info then visit the link given below,there select your variety of Sabal palm and read the notes from that page.

Palm Seeds

Btw. I have observed that fresh seeds do germinate well whatever method one follows.But after germination if delicate palms saplings are not properly cared for they are bound to damp-off or dry up based on ones climate and watering conditions.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif