IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I'm not easily impressed but...

Gonzer

Visiting an old friend's home near me to view his bromeliad collection I got sidetracked by the plethora of exotic fruit trees that they raise for their organic fruit business. Located in a secluded part of North County the property has many different micro-climates where trees with names I can't even pronounce were fruiting abundantly. However, I never expected to see this, a Jackfruit tree in it's full glory.

IMG958421.jpg

• Upvote 16

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

What?!  How is that possible?   I didn't think Jackfruit was even remotely realistic to grow in CA.

Egg-zackta-mundo Hammer.

• Upvote 2

Agree with Hammer,

While occasional rumors surface from time to time regarding people trialing these with some degree of success here and there across Southern CA. This is indeed impressive.. thanks for sharing Gonz.

Ive also heard of a nursery somewhere in San Diego supposedly selling real deal Mangosteen,  with the owner explaining that this also might be a possible grow in certain ( extra, extra- favored) spots there.  Partially agree with some of the skeptics this might be a stretch, but certainly caught my attention. Would like to discuss this with the nursery owner myself.

Regardless, there are other species of Garcinia that people are trialing there.

Additionally, a fairly well known musician is currently trialing Coffee on some land near Fallbrook and reportedly is able to produce enough of a crop (at this point) to sell some of his product to acouple coffee houses in town. 

With all the microclimate there, let alone a vision towards creating an especially ideal spot, ...i wonder how long it could be before someone trials Cacao.. and successfully fruits it.. Interesting...

Silas, another friend has coffee plants that produce enough beans to supply his own use, not a lot but enough for himself. I sprouted a couple his beans and now have two 2' tall container grown plants. More of curiosity than a useful plant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wouldn't coffee do better in the malibu area, maybe on the back side of the hills by Pepperdine? 

I'm waiting to see the fruiting durian tree...

Definitely a stretch but maybe some high elevation cultivar might make it in a protected pocket somewhere??

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

4 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Wouldn't coffee do better in the malibu area, maybe on the back side of the hills by Pepperdine? 

These might be some of the other places people are trying it as a crop.  

FAOI,  The musician I'd referenced is Jason Mraz, owner of Mraz Family Farms in Oceanside. San Diego Mag did an article about his endeavor May 25th of this year. I origionally came across it while doing some research on CA. coffee growing potential in general. Decent read overall, esp if youre a foodie and/or into organics, though the part about growing Coffee is further down in the article.

Regardless of the eventual contribution %'adge wise to overall production,( would be a very small player, at best) CA. grown Coffee has a attention catching ring to it since, like Jackfruit, many people's first thought is that neither could be grown there.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I'm waiting to see the fruiting durian tree...

Definitely a stretch but maybe some high elevation cultivar might make it in a protected pocket somewhere??

Durian, Rambutan.. I don't doubt these are among the next group of surprise successes to come..

I'd be planting Red, Blue, and White Jaboticaba if I had even an acre of land there atm myself.;)

• Upvote 1

There is a coffee farm in the  Goleta CA foothills, Goodland Organics.  I think it would be interesting if more people in good micro climates would push the limits.  You never know what is possible unless you try.

• Upvote 3

Coffee plants grow well in Laguna Hills, CA.

I planted it about 10 years ago for my wife.....she is in the coffee industry.

We get cherries every year that we have given away. I have never tried my own coffee yet.

• Upvote 3

Sign me up for some Mangosteen.. :D Never tried Jackfruit..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very cool. My jakfruit grows all winter and flowers, but what I have read is at higher elevations (cooler avg temps) they usually don't fruit. 

As for the true mangosteen out of doors or rambutan and durian, highly unlikely. Saw a pic of the supposed true mangosteen and it was not, it looked like tinctoria or xathochymus.  

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Witchcraft, I tell ya!

Gathering bundles of sticks for a barbeque . . . .

It is surprising what can be grown sometimes. Remember the infamous Corona Coconut? Or the ones in the desert?

Thanks El Gonz for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

15 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

These might be some of the other places people are trying it as a crop.  

FAOI,  The musician I'd referenced is Jason Mraz, owner of Mraz Family Farms in Oceanside. San Diego Mag did an article about his endeavor May 25th of this year. I origionally came across it while doing some research on CA. coffee growing potential in general. Decent read overall, esp if youre a foodie and/or into organics, though the part about growing Coffee is further down in the article.

Regardless of the eventual contribution %'adge wise to overall production,( would be a very small player, at best) CA. grown Coffee has a attention catching ring to it since, like Jackfruit, many people's first thought is that neither could be grown there.

California coffee also has aggressive alliteration

• Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

30 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

California coffee also has aggressive alliteration

....A fanciful sales pitch, just for Dave:

" You too will come to covet a cup of California grown Coffee while cruising the coast of Carmel, Camarillo, or Capistrano,  enjoying fresh Jackfruit in Julian, Juniper Hills, or June Lake,

...or while sitting beside Canaries, and Copernicia in Carlsbad "  Say that 12× fast..:mrlooney::D

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

....A fanciful sales pitch, just for Dave:

" You too will come to covet a cup of California grown Coffee while cruising the coast of Carmel, Camarillo, or Capistrano,  enjoying fresh Jackfruit in Julian, Juniper Hills, or June Lake,

...or while sitting beside Canaries, and Copernicia in Carlsbad "  Say that 12× fast..:mrlooney::D

URK

Swallowed my tongue . . .

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Witchcraft, I tell ya!

Gathering bundles of sticks for a barbeque . . . .

It is surprising what can be grown sometimes. Remember the infamous Corona Coconut? Or the ones in the desert?

Thanks El Gonz for sharing!

So true DD......

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Peter said:

Wow-that is impressive!  What else is he growing??

Peter, I'm not quite sure of the variety of genera he's growing but I did eat well on the visit; strawberry guavas, starfruit, sapote, finger limes, and one orange-flesh fruit, tennis ball size with pulp the consistency of mashed potatoes. It was kinda weird when his wife would thrust some bizzaro looking fruit at me and say "Eat!". I mean, gotta be polite, right? I'll follow up with a list of his bounty after my next visit in a month. The house itself was designed by some big-time architect from San Diego (I believe), all curves, stone, wrought iron, and embedded glass. Looks like a big tandoori oven. Oh yeah, he's got THE biggest bromeliad (Aechmea species) I've ever seen. Phone camera didn't do it justice so I'll pack the trusty Nikon next trip.

4 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Phone camera didn't do it justice so I'll pack the trusty Nikon next trip.

Shoot me a pm if you need a Canon instead, but it will come with a cameraman :D.  Just a note on the Jackfruit, I was out at Exotica fruit tree nursery in Vista to pick up a couple of things during the summer of 2015, and they had Jackfruit trees on their price list.  I didn't ask about them, so I don't know if they had one growing in their demonstration garden area, but now I'm curious.

• Upvote 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Holy crap

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

13 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Sign me up for some Mangosteen.. :D Never tried Jackfruit..

Jackfruit is good.  But make sure it is ripe.  Unripe fruit is pretty tasteless.  And EXTREMELY sticky.

I got one at Smart and Final (I think it was) earlier this year.

Edited by Hammer
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017‎ ‎1‎:‎17‎:‎49‎, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree with Hammer,

While occasional rumors surface from time to time regarding people trialing these with some degree of success here and there across Southern CA. This is indeed impressive.. thanks for sharing Gonz.

Ive also heard of a nursery somewhere in San Diego supposedly selling real deal Mangosteen,  with the owner explaining that this also might be a possible grow in certain ( extra, extra- favored) spots there.  Partially agree with some of the skeptics this might be a stretch, but certainly caught my attention. Would like to discuss this with the nursery owner myself.

Additionally, a fairly well known musician is currently trialing Coffee on some land near Fallbrook and reportedly is able to produce enough of a crop (at this point) to sell some of his product to acouple coffee houses in town. 

With all the microclimate there, let alone a vision towards creating an especially ideal spot, ...i wonder how long it could be before someone trials Cacao.. and successfully fruits it.. Interesting...

Jack fruit and Coffee is one thing, but Mangosteen.... <_< 

• Upvote 5

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

Very interesting and impressive-sounds like a cool property and house.  Look forward to hearing any more info!

San Fernando Valley, California

Who can't love a house that looks like a giant Tandoori oven?

• Upvote 1

This calls for a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Tiz6INF7I

• Upvote 2

wow!!!

I heard about his tree not to long ago.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

This calls for another song . . . .

I started mine from seed some 6 years ago and it is now about 4 meters tall, but has yet to set fruit. The grow prolifically near Puerto Vallarta where I bought the fruit which yielded the seed from which my tree was born.

Richard

On 11/15/2017, 10:17:49, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree with Hammer,

The guy who was selling real mangosteen's was Quang Ong.  He has a little backyard nursery -- "Ong Nursery".   http://www.ongnursery.com/1trees.htm  I bought a mangosteen from him.  He thought that you could possibly get them through the winter with a couple layers of frost blankets.  Maybe you can in a sheltered spot.  I was bringing mine in during the winter -- then I forgot about it and it died.... :(  I did buy a jackfruit tree from him and it is now about two meters tall, but it hasn't fruited yet.  I never gave it any protection.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017, 3:16:56, Gonzer said:

Visiting an old friend's home near me to view his bromeliad collection I got sidetracked by the plethora of exotic fruit trees that they raise for their organic fruit business. Located in a secluded part of North County the property has many different micro-climates where trees with names I can't even pronounce were fruiting abundantly. However, I never expected to see this, a Jackfruit tree in it's full glory.

IMG958421.jpg

There's several large Jackfruit trees here in San Diego.  There's a large one not too far from me (San Diego State Area) that develops fruit.  I believe I've posted pics on this website in the past.  

Ong Nursery used to sell fairly large Jackfruit trees.