IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pelagodoxa invaded by fire ants!

sarasota alex

Just in a matter of days a fire ant colony was built around my Pelagodoxa henryana. I'll treat and get rid of them, no questions there. But how much root damage do you think we are talking about here?

5a09b5609d140_IMG_3241copy.thumb.jpg.2ac

• Upvote 1

I knew that ants often raised colonies of aphids, but didn't think that they actually harmed the plants directly??

Richard

• Upvote 1

I just had a massive hill pile around my potted CIDP.  I boiled a pot of water and dumped it on the anthill.  Problem solved.  Not sure if you can pour boiling water on the roots of a palm that small, though.  You may be able to pour the water on the majority of the anthill away from the roots and do enough damage that they'll leave.

Edited by Anthony_B

I got a Pelagodoxa bare root seedling recently.  It died immediately after repotting.  Here’s a pic for the obituary.  

72EB9F0A-9AA8-44F9-83E5-58F344E82D74.jpeg

• Upvote 1

As far as Fire Ants go.. definately can cause root damage.. though I believe the colony has to get established first. Quick action involving using the methods mentioned above ( granules, ..even the boiling water technique, etc) at the first sign of a mound should effectively eliminate the issue before they can start doing damage.. 

While not listed for such use, I had immediate results, and quickly eliminated both Fire ants.. and others both here in AZ, and when we were in Bradenton, carefully aggravating the mounds, and spraying Home Defence.  Pretty sure I'd discussed this in another thread around here.

While Fire Ants themselves were practically non existent at the house in Bradenton, another species.. that supposedly is replacing RIFA in parts of the area there, would farm a soft scale insect that would attack the roots on containerized things in the yard, especially palm seedlings. After trying diatomaceous earth, granules, bait stations.. and still loosing stuff, I tested home defence on a few things and had 100% results, and no recolonization of either the scale or Ants afterwards. .and no ill effects to the plants themselves. It's now my go to whenever I see our native fire Ants here in Chandler trying to invade potted things, or building new mounds around the yard.  

As much as I hate applying chemical - anything.. sometimes you have to. 

-Nathan

• Upvote 1

Do not place anything close to or on top of the ant mound. If anything disturbs the mound, they quickly retreat into the ground and pop a mound up elsewhere. They do not stick around to eat the granules, but since they leave the mound/area you're monitoring, you think they're dead. Nope, just relocated to another area of your property. You want to place granules or pour the water 10-12" around the mound. The mound is just one of several entrances/exits to the entire colony's "highway" of tunnels underground, so technically pouring boiling water will only kill the ants in that general area, not the entire colony. You want to get a insecticide the ants eat, then regurgitate at the main area of the colony to feed the queen.

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

18 hours ago, bstoller said:

Here’s mine in St Pete.   15’ tall from ground to the top of the leaf   

Finally starting to get some wood....

C9B2C55E-1831-47EC-9811-9886E00FB856.jpeg

Great job. That's incredible. No matter how many pelagodoxas I see, they still take my breath away.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

On 11/15/2017, 9:38:38, Missi said:

Also, P. henryana can survive in-ground in Sarasota? :o

This coming winter is the 3rd one. Doing great. No protection. Most winters it bottoms out in mid 30s. It's exposed to sun for half-a-day on average. Suffered greatly during the nasty drought we had in late spring. Although I irrigated my plants, we had almost desert-like humidity that damaged many tropical palms including Pelagodoxa, and killed a Pigafetta and a Socratea. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017, 10:43:37, sarasota alex said:

killed a Pigafetta

Imagine that :floor:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: