IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubea x Butia x Syagrus. Any mature specimens out there?

Kekoanui

I was driving through Mississippi and low and behold, a hybrid palm nursery.  I just purchased a Jubea x Butia x Syagrus.  I have no idea about the spacing needed to grow this palm.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

That palm is mine, its planted in my parents house in Ocala. Its still a juvenile but has gotten considerably larger than that photo but still without visible trunk. It was plants in 2009 I think as a small seedling.

Edit: I recall there being a thread a long time ago with a mature one at Dr Wilcox place in Gainesville. It was a fairly robust looking palm, maybe 1.5 to 2x the size of a Butia x Syagrus

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

35 minutes ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

That palm is mine, its planted in my parents house in Ocala. Its still a juvenile but has gotten considerably larger than that photo but still without visible trunk. It was plants in 2009 I think as a small seedling.

Edit: I recall there being a thread a long time ago with a mature one at Dr Wilcox place in Gainesville. It was a fairly robust looking palm, maybe 1.5 to 2x the size of a Butia x Syagrus

Thanks, for the reply.  I think I read in this post you moved to Hawaii.  I lived on the North Shore for a few years.

I have a place in Satellite Beach where I grow most of my tropicals.  So adjusting to the climate up in St. Augustine is a challenge.  

I am trying to figure out spacing on this palm.  Is it more like the caliper of a fat queen palm or a Jubaea x Butia?  Any chance you can get a recent picture of the  Butijubagrus in Gainesville and is it at all planted too close to the house?  

Mahalo nui loa!

Edited by Kekoanui

I saw it this spring and it is still there but I didn't take a picture of it.  Here is the google streetview from 2015; everything is much larger now than in this picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2911+NW+30th+Terrace,+Gainesville,+FL+32605/@29.6793884,-82.3675014,3a,75y,68.6h,89.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPInjhnu3h_z-ZABFLo3TzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e8a4be03d0a6cd:0xb9467e862a25ac09!8m2!3d29.679399!4d-82.367098

59 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I saw it this spring and it is still there but I didn't take a picture of it.  Here is the google streetview from 2015; everything is much larger now than in this picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2911+NW+30th+Terrace,+Gainesville,+FL+32605/@29.6793884,-82.3675014,3a,75y,68.6h,89.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPInjhnu3h_z-ZABFLo3TzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e8a4be03d0a6cd:0xb9467e862a25ac09!8m2!3d29.679399!4d-82.367098

What would you estimate the caliper and spread to be on this particular hybrid?  I am hoping this hybrid is nowhere near the diameter of Jubaea x Butia. The pictures I am seeing learn more towards the caliper of the pollen donor, Syagrus litoralis. Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Kekoanui

Its a little less than Jubaea x Syagrus but a bit larger than Butia x Syagrus. Bigger than a queen palm but smaller than a Jubaea. Maybe slightly larger trunk than a Butia if planted in full sun (they get a little stretched in the shade). Leaves are similar to Butiax Queen in my experience. I'll try to get a more recent picture from my parents if they get the chance, I didn't take photos last time I was there because everything was flooded from the Hurricane

-Krishna

4 hours ago, Kekoanui said:

What would you estimate the caliper and spread to be on this particular hybrid?  I am hoping this hybrid is nowhere near the diameter of Jubaea x Butia. The pictures I am seeing learn more towards the caliper of the pollen donor, Syagrus litoralis. Thanks again for your help!

Who told you that the pollen donor was a silver queen?  The Mississippi guy makes his mules with silver queen pollen but his other Jubaea hybrids were purchased from Patrick, same as mine.

I apologize, I may have mispoke.  I saw Michael's silver queen and just assumed that was the doner. My bad.  In that case maybe Patrick is the guy to ask.

Thanks for the correction!

1 hour ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Its a little less than Jubaea x Syagrus but a bit larger than Butia x Syagrus. Bigger than a queen palm but smaller than a Jubaea. Maybe slightly larger trunk than a Butia if planted in full sun (they get a little stretched in the shade). Leaves are similar to Butiax Queen in my experience. I'll try to get a more recent picture from my parents if they get the chance, I didn't take photos last time I was there because everything was flooded from the Hurricane

I am sorry to hear about any flooding to you parents home.  I hope the damage was minimal. Thanks for the info!

A few plants drowned and a little drywall had to be torn out but not nearly as bad as it could have been :) I’m waiting to give the flood damage report for plants until spring to let some come back

-Krishna

Attached are some (not very good) photos taken this AM of the palm in question. Its a little stretched from shade

4AA68B20-04CB-495F-A674-29F810D7839C.jpeg

97F2E17B-5C62-45B8-BB96-E2DFCD5242D0.jpeg

5D54A805-9ED1-4338-B8F6-AE9354483E13.jpeg

• Upvote 2

-Krishna

F1233675-E262-464C-BC3B-CC25766592B3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

I don't see any robelleni or rupicola there? The rupicola are a no-go and the robelleni work for a few years in 9a florida and then die with the next big freeze. What most people grow are Phoenix hybrids or "mutts". In Florida the Phoenix genus has mixed so much you never are quite sure what you're getting. The benefit is that they tend to pick up hardiness readily in the mixes.

-Krishna

• 3 months later...

This was one of the first palms I purchased from Patric back in 2007.  Planted in 2007.  This has some great potential, but I can't keep more than on year worth of fronds for some reason.  Had a lot of problems with it early on.  From my notes:  "Crown rot after low 20's followed by long wet spring.  Crown rot winter 2009, 2010, 2011.  Spotting after low 20's winter 2012/2013, but no crown rot.  SLOW".  Trunk is about the diameter of a thinner Queen.  About 12' tall overall.

Copy of DSCN3454.jpg

• Upvote 4

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A