IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visiting the Botanical Garden of Rome

Tomas

During a very quick visit to the garden two palms caught my interest.

The first one is labeled as Trachycarpus princeps, would be the best looking princeps I can find a picture of on Internet. The second is a nice big Sabal, with no identification tag

Tomas

IMG-20171112-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20171112-WA0004.jpg

20171111_152729.jpg

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Tomas said:

During a very quick visit to the garden two palms caught my interest.

The first one is labeled as Trachycarpus princeps, would be the best looking princeps I can find a picture of on Internet. The second is a nice big Sabal, with no identification tag

Tomas

IMG-20171112-WA0001.jpg

is Trachycarpus princeps?

GIUSEPPE

1 hour ago, Tomas said:

I would say too, but should a brahea  not have some thorns on the petioles?

Super silver has zero armament. That is a brahea super silver

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Aldert has a nice pic of a princeps in this thread.  

Well, the difference is very clear, thank you very much

yes  brahea super silver, this was my first opinion

also in  garden botanical  naples, there is a  brahea  super silver, label   like   brahea  calcarea 

GIUSEPPE

Coincidence... I was just there last week... unfortunately had a sunny day so pics were more difficult... That silvery palm now looks morel iike a Brahea now that you photograph it without all the sun and shadows.  Nice palm, either way.

But did you see the palm in the background of that photo or yours?? The hugest Nannorrhops I have ever seen?!!  There was no way to get it all in one shot, and the early morning sunlight makes it really hard to appreciate its enormity... but this thing has trunks over 20' long that wind around all over the place... it's at least 30'-35' in diameter an the trunks are huge... you can me and Tammy in several different shots for scale.  Amazing palm!  

Nannorhops massive palm orto.jpg

Nannorhops huge, long, curling trunk Orto.jpg

Nannorhops with Tammy Orto.jpg

Nannorhops trunks Orto.jpg

Nannorhops sucker smaller Orto.jpg

Nannorhops very old Orto.jpg

Nannorhops huge branches.jpg

Nannorhops another angle of massive trunk Orto.jpg

• Upvote 9

Here's a few of my shots of this 'Trachycarpus'  I agree... looks more like a Brahea to me.  

One of the things that surprised me most about this garden were the lack of any 'more marginal' palms... are they not available or no interest or does it really get that cold there?  Seems like a pretty comparable climate to my old one in Tarzaana in Los Angeles... I had nearly 180 species in my garden... this one has maybe 20, and all stuff you'd expect to see in a place where it snows every year.

TRachycarpus princeps yet another angle Orto.jpg

Trachycarpus petioles Orto.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps leaf Orto.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps leaf 2 Orto.jpg

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Coincidence... I was just there last week... unfortunately had a sunny day so pics were more difficult... That silvery palm now looks morel iike a Brahea now that you photograph it without all the sun and shadows.  Nice palm, either way.

But did you see the palm in the background of that photo or yours?? The hugest Nannorrhops I have ever seen?!!  There was no way to get it all in one shot, and the early morning sunlight makes it really hard to appreciate its enormity... but this thing has trunks over 20' long that wind around all over the place... it's at least 30'-35' in diameter an the trunks are huge... you can me and Tammy in several different shots for scale.  Amazing palm!  

Nannorhops massive palm orto.jpg

Nannorhops huge, long, curling trunk Orto.jpg

Nannorhops with Tammy Orto.jpg

Nannorhops trunks Orto.jpg

Nannorhops sucker smaller Orto.jpg

Nannorhops very old Orto.jpg

Nannorhops huge branches.jpg

Nannorhops another angle of massive trunk Orto.jpg

is a real one  treasure  living, was made from seed by Odoardo Beccari,collected during one of his journeys

• Upvote 2

GIUSEPPE

47 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Im surprised that nannorhorps hasnt flowered and killed the stem. Very odd specimen indeed. 

This. 

I can almost believe Beccari planted it himself, unreal. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

Yes, it surely is a rarity, said to be planted by Beccari at the end of the 19th century, so more than 120 years old. It also is difficult to believe that this plant is monocarpic, there are some trunks as short as two meters already flowering and others many meters long.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Geoff said:

One of the things that surprised me most about this garden were the lack of any 'more marginal' palms... are they not available or no interest or does it really get that cold there?  Seems like a pretty comparable climate to my old one in Tarzaana in Los Angeles... I had nearly 180 species in my garden... this one has maybe 20, and all stuff you'd expect to see in a place where it snows every year.

Sorry about the mess I did above, I am not able to edit nor delete it

14 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Im surprised that nannorhorps hasnt flowered and killed the stem. Very odd specimen indeed. 

I just got a confirmation from a friend of mine that is a better observer than me: before flowering the stem will branch and only the flowering branch will die. You can see the scars on the trunks in Geoff's photos

• Upvote 1

Geoff, you are right in all your observations on the lack of "marginal palms", the existing palms are, with the exception of the Syagrus romanzoffiana and some small palms, the survivors of the big freeze of 1985 (some Washingtonia robusta got killed, to give an idea), the curators are very conservative and quite ignorant in fact of palms and there is very little introduction of any plants, not only palms.

At the other part, the staff must be credited for saving nearly all the palms from the RPW

Tomas

• Upvote 1

Recently an Italian member of the EPS told us that five years ago he donated a lot of palms and this year he came back to see them. For his regret, he found his precious donations abandoned on a corner and in the same pot he left them. He brought them back to his home.

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

8 hours ago, Sanips said:

Recently an Italian member of the EPS told us that five years ago he donated a lot of palms and this year he came back to see them. For his regret, he found his precious donations abandoned on a corner and in the same pot he left them. He brought them back to his home.

On 11/12/2017, 10:10:14, Tomas said:

What a bummer......

Wow... that is sad.  They have plenty of room for more nice palms... but apparently a poor attitude concerning improving the garden's collection.  Oh well.  

• Upvote 1