IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pink rot on my Dypsis lanceolata

Tracy

So while I have read and heard from others that pink rot fungus is normally a fatal disease, I have had a couple of leaves on two trunks of my Dypsis lanceolata which at different times had pink rot.  The pink was readily visible after the crownshaft came off the trunk, but new leaves pushed after my treatment with an antifungal liquid.  In the photos below, the crownshaft had just come off, with the second photo showing the shriveled leaf which emerged, alerting me to the problem.  Note that it is pushing a healthy new spear after the diseased one.  One other stem had a similar problem on this Dypsis lanceolata last year, and after treating it has pushed a couple of healthy new leaves.  Bottom line, I'm hopeful that I got to it in time, but only time will tell.  I'll be monitoring this plant, but if you have palms which survived the nasty fungal pink rot, share your story.

20171111-104A7863.jpg

20171111-104A7864.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, pink rot spores are everywhere it seems sometimes. Every other leaf that falls off an Archontophoenix seems to have it.  In my experience, usually it doesn't present an issue unless it gets beneath the surface tissue. Even then, if a palm is vigorously growing it can often push through it. But it's when it gets deep in the tissue that I've never been able to beat it back. Perhaps it's because it's difficult to see & the palm declines & dies before I know what's going on. 

• Upvote 3

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 4 months later...

My all-time worst heartbreak (gardening that is) was watching my Dypsis lanceolata croak.

I bought a 14'er at Rancho Soledad and hauled it up to LA (in a box van) where it immediately got bbq'd in August sun. The green fronds lasted three weeks. It was too tall for my shadecloth covered pergola and I had no safe place to move it. The trunk had some kind of dry rot (small patch light brown) when I bought it which the nursery warned me about, but the tree was so spectacular and otherwise healthy I took the risk. Not sure I want to gamble with another lanceolata (from mountainous Madagascar rain forests), I'm looking for something with similar features and less delicate.

Here it is in advanced stage of doom without fronds in my intensive care unit:

IMG_E4224.thumb.jpg.f8a56950afb4e32287bcIMG_4217.thumb.jpg.2b9ae4432269f38de7b7c

Edited by HiwaKika
  • Upvote 1

Ouch, ouch ouch.

Alas, I've found lancies to be a bit on the delicate and tempermental side. Easy to sprout, but they don't like too much sun, or too much shade.

Lots of seed, few mature plants.

Ouch!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

14 hours ago, HiwaKika said:

Not sure I want to gamble with another lanceolata (from mountainous Madagascar rain forests), I'm looking for something with similar features and less delicate.

Based on what you shared, it would be far less risky if you purchased a smaller Dypsis lanceolata and gave it the right exposure (filtered light) under your shade cloth covered pergola.  Your location in "LA" also might play a role, as it is a geographically large city with plenty of different micro-climates.  Are you planning on keeping the replacement plant on the pergola with shade cloth or looking for a spot in the ground?  A more sun tolerant and good grower for me has been Dypsis heteromorpha, but you won't get the broad leaflets you have on D lanceolata.  As Dave points out, D lanceolata can be a little finicky in too much sun and prone to leaf burn.  I have two different variations of Dypsis lanceolata, and the one which yours resembles the most, handles sun better than the other variation (there is a separate post from a while back showing the differences between the two plants).  Good luck with whatever you try, and consider what sort of exposure the plant has when you buy it and where you want to put it.  Acclimation will likely be needed for something like a Dypsis lanceolata.

15 hours ago, HiwaKika said:

My all-time worst heartbreak (gardening that is) was watching my Dypsis lanceolata croak.

I bought a 14'er at Rancho Soledad and hauled it up to LA (in a box van) where it immediately got bbq'd in August sun. The green fronds lasted three weeks. It was too tall for my shadecloth covered pergola and I had no safe place to move it. The trunk had some kind of dry rot (small patch light brown) when I bought it which the nursery warned me about, but the tree was so spectacular and otherwise healthy I took the risk. Not sure I want to gamble with another lanceolata (from mountainous Madagascar rain forests), I'm looking for something with similar features and less delicate.

Here it is in advanced stage of doom without fronds in my intensive care unitIMG_E4224.thumb.jpg.f8a56950afb4e32287bcIMG_4217.thumb.jpg.2b9ae4432269f38de7b7c

Tracy made some great points above and thought I would add a few as well. First off, it can be a bit tricky acclimating Rancho Soledad plants to California gardens. They are grown here in Hilo in near perfect conditions,under shade cloth, constant moisture and they are never exposed to any cold. When I had my Fallbrook garden, I bought several palms from Rancho soledad because they all looked too good to not get them. Huge 15 gallons like what you got. But they were so root bound that it seemed like the combination of Fallbrook weather and the plants not being able to put out new roots fast enough, always held them back. They took several years to acclimate and much smaller palms I planted nearby from 1 and 5 pots eventually ended up outgrowing the Rancho Soledad 15 gallons. 

I would encourage you to try Dypsis Lanceolata again. They are beautiful palms!  Try to find a healthy California grown one to start with. Or you could order some 1 gallons from Floribunda. They are huge 1 gallon plants!  I just picked several up recently for my new Hilo garden. Pot them up when you get them in a 5 gallon in some nice potting soil and it should do great! 

6 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Tracy made some great points above and thought I would add a few as well. First off, it can be a bit tricky acclimating Rancho Soledad plants to California gardens. They are grown here in Hilo in near perfect conditions,under shade cloth, constant moisture and they are never exposed to any cold. When I had my Fallbrook garden, I bought several palms from Rancho soledad because they all looked too good to not get them. Huge 15 gallons like what you got. But they were so root bound that it seemed like the combination of Fallbrook weather and the plants not being able to put out new roots fast enough, always held them back. They took several years to acclimate and much smaller palms I planted nearby from 1 and 5 pots eventually ended up outgrowing the Rancho Soledad 15 gallons. 

I would encourage you to try Dypsis Lanceolata again. They are beautiful palms!  Try to find a healthy California grown one to start with. Or you could order some 1 gallons from Floribunda. They are huge 1 gallon plants!  I just picked several up recently for my new Hilo garden. Pot them up when you get them in a 5 gallon in some nice potting soil and it should do great! 

The cibotium (with mesh hat) behind the dypsis is definitely from Palms of Paradise, Rancho Soledad's Hilo nursery. Didn't know their other stuff is from Hilo too. They're shipped as bare trunks in containers by boat and nursed in SD under shade cloth with drips. But San Diego does get cold at night. Hilo's annual low and high is between 60º to upper 80ºs. Pretty stable climate compared to SoCal's rollercoaster 30º-115ºF. It's a day-to-day challenge to maintain high risk exotics here.

Dying to visit Palms of Paradise. Do you mean Florabunda downtown LA or FlorAbunda Encinitas? Never been to either shop. Lanceolatas are very uncommon here. Haven't found any outside Rancho Soledad and that was a few years back. Pretty sure they haven't had any for a while themselves. There's a reason for that: low success rate. 

7 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I would encourage you to try Dypsis Lanceolata again. They are beautiful palms!  Try to find a healthy California grown one to start with. Or you could order some 1 gallons from Floribunda. They are huge 1 gallon plants!  I just picked several up recently for my new Hilo garden. 

Any pics? ... Thanks!

8 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Try to find a healthy California grown one to start with. Or you could order some 1 gallons from Floribunda. 

Oh ... you mean Floribunda in Kurtistown HI (or Mountain View, HI). Will check them out.

Edited by HiwaKika

6 hours ago, HiwaKika said:

Lanceolatas are very uncommon here. Haven't found any outside Rancho Soledad and that was a few years back.

I know that both Jungle Music in Encinitas, and Josh Allen both have them as I've seen them in both locations.  Once again, depending on where in LA you are located, you may find them challenging or very easy to grow.  There are a lot of people growing them here locally.  I believe that most that Josh has are from seed he has grown from his own plant in his Carlsbad yard.  One of mine has been flowering for about 3 years now, so I'm expecting that one of the next rounds will provide some fertile seeds.  This is actually on one of the larger stems of the one that had pink rot on a small stem.  Other than the one stem slowing down for a while and pushing an undersize new frond, the palm has done great.

20180207-104A8528.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

Based on what you shared, it would be far less risky if you purchased a smaller Dypsis lanceolata and gave it the right exposure (filtered light) under your shade cloth covered pergola.  Your location in "LA" also might play a role, as it is a geographically large city with plenty of different micro-climates.  Are you planning on keeping the replacement plant on the pergola with shade cloth or looking for a spot in the ground?  A more sun tolerant and good grower for me has been Dypsis heteromorpha, but you won't get the broad leaflets you have on D lanceolata.  As Dave points out, D lanceolata can be a little finicky in too much sun and prone to leaf burn.  I have two different variations of Dypsis lanceolata, and the one which yours resembles the most, handles sun better than the other variation (there is a separate post from a while back showing the differences between the two plants).  Good luck with whatever you try, and consider what sort of exposure the plant has when you buy it and where you want to put it.  Acclimation will likely be needed for something like a Dypsis lanceolata.

Was hoping for something taller than 12' that'll handle more sun without burning up but a D Decaryi is now in the Lanceo's spot and is doing fabulous in extreme everything: sun, cold, wind, you name it. 

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

I know that both Jungle Music in Encinitas, and Josh Allen both have them as I've seen them in both locations.  Once again, depending on where in LA you are located, you may find them challenging or very easy to grow.  There are a lot of people growing them here locally.  I believe that most that Josh has are from seed he has grown from his own plant in his Carlsbad yard.  One of mine has been flowering for about 3 years now, so I'm expecting that one of the next rounds will provide some fertile seeds.  This is actually on one of the larger stems of the one that had pink rot on a small stem.  Other than the one stem slowing down for a while and pushing an undersize new frond, the palm has done great.

Thanks for the info and encouraging news. You just made me give Lanceolatas another shot. 

Never been to Jungle Music (will go soon) and is Josh's Vista garden open to public? What is it called? 

Edited by HiwaKika

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2017, 3:36:53, Tracy said:

Bottom line, I'm hopeful that I got to it in time, but only time will tell.  I'll be monitoring this plant, but if you have palms which survived the nasty fungal pink rot, share your story.

It became apparent that the damage was deep even though it wanted to continue to grow.  It was pushing another new leaf a couple of weeks ago, and we got some windy weather.  Well it was top heavy with the new growth, and it snapped off.  I was walking by the plant and saw the top portion laying on the ground after seeing it was tilting earlier in the day.  Oh well, at least this is a multi-trunked species so I have other trunks which remain.

20180425-104A9158.jpg

• Upvote 1

Clumpers do have their advantages and yours seem to be 'self-pruning.' Not a bad thing. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 3/17/2018, 3:53:52, Tracy said:

20180207-104A8528.jpg

I'm not the only one with browning leaves from time to time ...........!

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon